Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Budget open steel gun

818-DVC

I saw one guy talk about having problems with WSF powder for 9major and everyone is talking bout HS6. I know this is about open guns and id love to build an open gun on a STI 2011 frame so any more answers on the powder choices or load data?

Hello: I shot some HS-6 loads through my shorty 9mm and my 5" Frankingun today. The load was 9.0 grains of HS-6, Montana Gold 115 JHP, WSR primers and an OAL of 1.170". The shorty shot very flat and soft :cheers: It is the best load I've found so far. I am thinking of going up a little in the powder to 9.2 grains to get more gas through the Bedell Titanium comp. The Frankingun shoots alot flatter but still may need some more powder as well. It has the Type 1 STI Tru-Bor comp with 2 "Benny Hill Hell Holes". I am not sure how well the STI comp works with major loads? I do know that with my minor loads it shoots very soft, softer than my Production gun :roflol: I am going to shoot the 5" gun this weekend and see how dirty HS-6 really is at 173PF. I am learning alot about comps and how well they work with different powder for 9mm open. I am tempted now to try some other comps to see what works the best. Thanks, Eric

Hello: I shot some HS-6 loads through my shorty 9mm and my 5" Frankingun today. The load was 9.0 grains of HS-6, Montana Gold 115 JHP, WSR primers and an OAL of 1.170". The shorty shot very flat and soft :cheers: It is the best load I've found so far. I am thinking of going up a little in the powder to 9.2 grains to get more gas through the Bedell Titanium comp. The Frankingun shoots alot flatter but still may need some more powder as well. It has the Type 1 STI Tru-Bor comp with 2 "Benny Hill Hell Holes". I am not sure how well the STI comp works with major loads? I do know that with my minor loads it shoots very soft, softer than my Production gun :roflol: I am going to shoot the 5" gun this weekend and see how dirty HS-6 really is at 173PF. I am learning alot about comps and how well they work with different powder for 9mm open. I am tempted now to try some other comps to see what works the best. Thanks, Eric

First WSF, my Buddy Ben shot a box stock TruBore with 2 port comp major 9 with WSF he finished 15th, I finished 16th of 75, so that stuff must be good.

That nasty caca black film that HS6 leaves don't hurt anything, a little brake cleaner and its gone. I'm finding out Silhouette is a little chunky dirty and tends to get on the C-more.

Comp - Dawson Awesome, I wish I had 3 more of them.

When I look at a steelmaster, and I look at SV's new aluminum steel gun is that they are short guns with small 2-3 port comps. I know londrigan was involved on the steel master, and his open guns are sweet, but I imagine his pro sx wiith a thundercomp 2 would not be ideal for minor loads. We know it's easy to make major loads work smoothly, but 9 minor lacks the gasses I would assume properly works these bigger comps. I figure the lesser the charge, the less chambers or ports would be needed. Am I making sense?

When I look at a steelmaster, and I look at SV's new aluminum steel gun is that they are short guns with small 2-3 port comps. I know londrigan was involved on the steel master, and his open guns are sweet, but I imagine his pro sx wiith a thundercomp 2 would not be ideal for minor loads. We know it's easy to make major loads work smoothly, but 9 minor lacks the gasses I would assume properly works these bigger comps. I figure the lesser the charge, the less chambers or ports would be needed. Am I making sense?

I agree compensator on steel guns are mainly for

the weight to minimize muzzle flip. No gas will work

the comp.

Hello: The 95 grain load is with a comp. I tried it first in the Glock 17 open pistol I built. After selling that off and getting the STI 9mm shorty I tried the load in it. I think the Ruger 22/45 has more recoil. I don't even change the recoil spring with the 9lb ISMI one that is in there. I should try a 7lb one to see if that makes it softer :roflol: I will using HS-6 for a while since it does all I need it to do and it is cheap/available. Thanks, Eric