Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New Pistol Suggestions

You might want to look really hard at the Springfield XD/XDm. For the most versatility you could get a XDm in 40 and use it in USPSA Production, Limited 10, Limited (mags from Canyon Creek hold 21 rounds) and in IDPA ESP. If you send it to Canyon Creek Custom for a trigger job you can get a 1911 like trigger pull in both overall movement and weight and stay inside your budget. If you want to splurge you can get a production ready model direct from Canyon Creek for around $1300 and it will have all of the bells and whistles.

Sure you can ... but you will wind up in OPEN.

springfield is a good choice also if production go to the 9mm if you want to spend 800-1000 check out the kimbers I shoot a stainless tle/rl in L10 as well as single stack

You can't shoot a 1911 in Production. R,

I don't have nearly the experience as most of these guys, but I'll tell you about my experience so far.

I started with the same plan as yours a little over a year ago. I wanted to shoot a 1911 style pistol in competition and I had a budget very close to yours. :closedeyes: Fast forward, to earlier this month, through a lot of reading, shopping and asking questions and.... I shot my first USPSA match Sept. 4th with my new setup, which is a M&P 9 Pro, 3 extra mags, belt, holster, and mag holders. I already had the reloading equipment when I started this. All told, I spent around $1,100 getting my gear together to actually shoot a match. That includes my USPSA membership and the APEX competition trigger kit. I couldn't be happier, although I might be just as happy with a Glock 34 ;). You could probably trim that amount a good bit by going with a used Glock 17 or M&P 9 and less expensive mag holders and holster. You can always get your money back going with a used Glock if you decided to sell it and upgrade later.

Eventually I'll move into Lim or Lim10 and build some type of 1911 or 2011 but for starting out this setup is perfect for me and affordable. YMMV

If your goal is just to get a much nicer handgun with the idea that you might shoot in competition someday, then I agree with all the recommendations for the Springfield Loaded and/or STI Trojan. They are shining examples in their price range of how a proper single stack should be built.

Edited by Kevin G.

Sure you can ... but you will wind up in OPEN.

springfield is a good choice also if production go to the 9mm if you want to spend 800-1000 check out the kimbers I shoot a stainless tle/rl in L10 as well as single stack

You can't shoot a 1911 in Production. R,

Then you're not shooting Production any longer, are you? :)

A lot of people have recommended the 9mm. While I personally have nothing against 9s, remember that once you go with one, you will be stuck in production, or penalized score wise if you move to limited or L10. If you go with a .40, you can download to a softer load, and be fine in production, and later load a little hotter if you want to move to another class. Other wise, you will be doing this same thing all over again and buying another gun. Yes, 9s are a little cheaper to shoot, and you can find ammo everywhere, but it all depends on how your future plans look for your sport. Just don't be short sighted at this point in the game. A Glock 35 is a great gun for a lot of people to start with for all of the above reasons. You can shoot it downloaded in production to start with, and later move to a different class. So many people recommend production to start, but why put a new shooter under the stress of 10 rd mags, and when and where to change mags etc... It can be overwhelming for many new shooters. Go on and start in limited, load your mags up fully and take some stress off yourself for a few matches. Understand that it is a competitive class, and you will be finishing near the bottom for a while, but learning the game, and practicing your shooting will help you rise in the standings.

A lot of people have recommended the 9mm. While I personally have nothing against 9s, remember that once you go with one, you will be stuck in production, or penalized score wise if you move to limited or L10. If you go with a .40, you can download to a softer load, and be fine in production, and later load a little hotter if you want to move to another class. Other wise, you will be doing this same thing all over again and buying another gun. Yes, 9s are a little cheaper to shoot, and you can find ammo everywhere, but it all depends on how your future plans look for your sport. Just don't be short sighted at this point in the game. A Glock 35 is a great gun for a lot of people to start with for all of the above reasons. You can shoot it downloaded in production to start with, and later move to a different class. So many people recommend production to start, but why put a new shooter under the stress of 10 rd mags, and when and where to change mags etc... It can be overwhelming for many new shooters. Go on and start in limited, load your mags up fully and take some stress off yourself for a few matches. Understand that it is a competitive class, and you will be finishing near the bottom for a while, but learning the game, and practicing your shooting will help you rise in the standings.

The "problem" with a G35 that is many newbies don't reload and will be forced to shoot 180+PF ammo against folks shooting 135PF ammo.

Oh, Production is a Division. Guns are Divided into Divisions, shooters are Classified by shooting Classifiers. R,

Glock 17 or 34 in 9mm.

Pickup a Dillon Square Deal B.

CR Speed belt or DAA Belt, 4 Mag pouches and a Kydex Holster.

...and have fun!!!

Throw away the Ruger... i've owned 2 of those things, great for a car/pickup truck gun or to set at somebody's feet if you had to wax 'em... other than that, me no likey.

I shot a friends XD a couple of weeks ago> It had an incredible trigger job on it. I told him it was comparable to my svi, it was that good. 40 caliber. He loads down or up, depending on what type of match he is shooting. I can't remember the name of the trigger but it was very impressive.

I personally think that production is the best division for beginners to start out in, and it is on this opinion that I am basing my advice. I think that you should shoot production because it is the cheapest to get into and be competitive in. If you buy a stock Glock 17 or M&P 9, 4-6 mags, a kydex holster, and mag pouches and you're ready to go, no gun smith required.

Reasons you should shoot production (and buy a production gun):

1. You shoot cheaper bullets, 9mm, so you can shoot MORE (this is huge because you can practice way more with less expensive rounds)
  2. You are scored minor so you HAVE to learn to shoot accurately and to shoot A's
  3. You will be forced to reloads and you will learn how to plan stages (but if you do need to take an extra shot on most arrays you probably won't be screwed)
  4. You will learn better trigger control since you can't shoot a SAO type gun (1911)
  5. Almost all of the plastic wonder guns are extremely reliable out of the box. The last thing you want in a competition gun is one that will not run.

The best thing I ever did for my shooting was to sell my first handgun Glock 22 (.40) and buy a Glock 34 (9mm). I was able to shoot double the amount and the softer recoil made it easier to learn not to flinch and track my sights.

I think 1911's are terrific, though not as beginner guns. Often they require tweaking in order to run well and to fit your taste. I think you should take a hard look at a Glock 9mm (17/34/19), M&P 9 or pro, and HK P30 LEM (9mm). In my limited experience I've found that beginners often have a much easier time mastering consistent trigger action pistols like glocks, M&Ps and HK LEMs than with traditional DA/SA guns. Additionally, the manual of arms is simpler because you do not need an external safety, and these pistols are less maintenance intensive.

Stay safe and have fun,

CAZ

Agree 100. Plus he then gets a good gun for CCW to replace the Ruger. You could get a G17 or even a G19 and get by OK in production. M&P, CZ and XD also have some options.

I went to my first match with a stock Glock 35, six magasines, an old Uncle Mike's duty belt, three Kydex double mag puches and an Uncle Mike's Paddle Holster. Talk about a put togehter competition rig. And I had a great time. I have acquired a good belt, pouches, fiber optic sights, an SS recoil spring guide with ISMI springs and a bunch of other goodies. And I'm doing better and getting faster. But guess what? Very little of it is because of equipment. It's because I have been shooring a lot, dry firing a lot and using my excercise equipment so that I don't gas out near the end of the match. Of all teh things that I bought, the only thing made made a fast, readily apparent difference to me was the addition of Warren Tactical Sevigny sights set. Spend more money on ammo and shoot. I'v been going to matches for something like three months and I'm already starting to get a collection of unneeded "extra" stuff.

Glock 17 or M&P fullsize 4" in 9mm.

Great carry gun, and there is no substitute for the feeling of competing soundly with a weapon over and over, and knowing that exact gun is the one on your belt should trouble arise on the street.

Ruger P95s make horrendous carry guns, it's about the only thing they do worse than competition.