Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Slide mount vs. frame mount

Maks_H

My open build is coming to the end. But now I am in big dilemma. I already have Docter frame mount but because I am 99,9% iron sight guy can't find a dot. So I am going to have dot as low as possible but I ma stuck between to options 1. C-more 90° frame mount or 2. slide mounted Docter or Deltapoint. How is dot movement with slide mounted dots? Is it harder to track the dot because of much more back and front movement? My pros and cons are:

Slide mounted dot: + much lighter gun, + lowest possible dot, - battery change, - durability?

Frame mounted c-more: + easy battery change, - heavier gun

One other negative on the smaller red dot scopes...the lenses are smaller and the dot is usually about a 7moa or smaller. I had one of the new C-More STS dots. It was a nice scope but when the sun was behind and over my shoulder, I would lose the dot real easy. The sun would wash it out. The bigger C-Mores are the way to go in my opinion.

Also, the aluminum scope mounts don't add that much weight. The bigger scope would be a little heavier but i wouldn't think it would be that noticeable.

Darren

why would you put a side mount using one of the little bity scopes. I have a S/V 9mm open pistol with the back of the slide machined down like the pistol in the picture. Put a leupold delta-point on my pistol, bolting it directly to the machined down flat on the back of the slide. The bottom of the Glass is even with the top of the slide. When I throw the pistol up & it is basically the same sight picture as pointing a limited gun. Dot can't be over 1/4" to 5/16" off slide which is lower than the one in the picture. I don't have all that bulk out on the side and it's a 100% neater looking. I try to use the "KISS" method on everything I can. Just my opinion as over the years I have owned basically every dot scope and mount ever made.

Max TY-21921

If you're shooting a 2011 type gun a full sized C-More with a 90 degree mount appears to be the optimum set-up. That is if shear numbers mean anything.

Still a LOT more folks using a conventional mount than 90* mounts right now, so I'm not sure about those shear numbers.

They do put the dot lower, and they do open up the ejection area, but I also think the gun is nowhere near as balanced, which alters dot tracking. I ran one for 6 months, pulled it off and then bought another gun that has one....it reminded me how much I don't like them! Major 9 or someone who's got serious problems finding the dot...it's probably the way to go. I guess I don't see the problem....I can find the dot with a conventional mount, strap on my Production rig for the classifier and not have any problem finding the front sight. When I was shoot mostly Limited I did the reverse and put on the Open gun after the Limited gun and found the dot just fine. :blink:

why would you put a side mount using one of the little bity scopes. I have a S/V 9mm open pistol with the back of the slide machined down like the pistol in the picture. Put a leupold delta-point on my pistol, bolting it directly to the machined down flat on the back of the slide. The bottom of the Glass is even with the top of the slide. When I throw the pistol up & it is basically the same sight picture as pointing a limited gun. Dot can't be over 1/4" to 5/16" off slide which is lower than the one in the picture. I don't have all that bulk out on the side and it's a 100% neater looking. I try to use the "KISS" method on everything I can. Just my opinion as over the years I have owned basically every dot scope and mount ever made.

Max TY-21921

That sight has a permanent weaver base. My guns could not be modified for a weaver base on the slide so I got creative with my 90-degree mount and came up with that configuration. I will be trying a slide mount with this sight on a future build.