Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Locking Block Pin Bent?

G34 CORDY

I was cleaning my G34 and took the trigger group out to clean it when I happened to look at the top locking block pin (the smaller one) and it looked bent so I rolled it on the table and sure enough it was bent all right. What could cause this? I have around 3000 rounds on the gun, its only around 6 months old. I do have a ISMI 11LB recoil spring, could that be battering the pin?

I've seen them break in half in .40 glocks before and the half that is not under spring tension from the slide stop spring falls out but the gun will continue to work fine. I haven't seen one break in a 9 yet but I'm sure it's possible and maybe they bend before they break. Just try a new pin for awhile and keep an eye on it. Did you buy the gun new or was it used?

I've seen a couuple that tend to dreep out towards the right side of teh frame. With the ones that creep, and the ones that break, sometimes the slide sto[p and/or spring will get bent. This can cause the pistol to turn into a one shooter. Make sure you examine the slide stop and ensure that it's OK.

Maybe when you were getting it out . Early in the game I used to get really frustrated with getting the pins out and used to use a punch and would make a little fat end-very subtle but enough to make it roll.(There is no need to use a punch-I use to hit it and sometimes I would forget it was on an anvil as a backing) If you figure it out, let us know. I've used +P for hours on end and never bent anything. Never used an 11lb spring-why so light?

I dont use a hammer just a punch to push it out. I just put a new one in so Iam going to keep a eye on it. I use a 11LB spring because I like how the gun feels better with my 135pf 147 grain ammo. I have a 13lb spring also but I just like the 11LB better.

I use that same ammo a lot-good stuff. Been using 14lb on 17, 34 and 15lb on 22, 35, and 24. Just put a new 14lb in my 24-sweet. I figure that its 5,000 rds less it will be good for compared to the 15lb, but it's just a guess.Use all Vaneks. Just put new Super in 17 with a lightened Jager striker-wow-best trigger yet.

Anyway, I didn't think you bent the pin with a punch and hammer-I was just confessin'.

Yeah. I have about 1000 rds left of the JHP. Danny said they will eventually get back to using them-I think they are better, but maybe that's just me. I have a few thousand rds of current stock-I max my credit card at AAA regularly 'cause I don't load (no time due to work).

Let us know about that pin-I am always curious about this stuff- I am way beyond thinking stuff doesn't happen-'cause it does.

I was cleaning my G34 and took the trigger group out to clean it when I happened to look at the top locking block pin (the smaller one) and it looked bent so I rolled it on the table and sure enough it was bent all right. What could cause this? I have around 3000 rounds on the gun, its only around 6 months old. I do have a ISMI 11LB recoil spring, could that be battering the pin?

I had the exact same thing happen with mine using the same spring. I figured it was hammering it too hard also. Eventually ( after 3-4k rds) my 11lb spring started causing my gun to try to fire out of battery, I was getting light off center primer strikes. Since then I switched to a 15lb.