Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

N310 X .45 Acp In Revolver Major

sensei

Hi all,

I am trying to load N310 in .45 acp for Major loads, in 625 5".

Theese loads will be for IPSC mathes,

N310 x 4,00 grs. x 230 grs. RNFMJ

I had about 173-174 Power Factor with this load, very clean and a min recoil,

........ B) ...... What do you think about ???

While they certainly have their share of odd ideas and dated info, the magazine "Guns and Ammo" recently put out a special issue (available now) called "The complete book of the 1911" (mostly ignores current winning USPSA technology like recoil master, .40 S_I guns, 9mm Major, but oh well- they claim its complete). A section on Handloading praises VV's N-310 and the Oregon Trail LSWC 200gr. as the absolute best accuracy round. It just so happens that gun Maker Bill Wilson (the Wilson in Wilson Combat) uses this exact load to accuracy test his guns before they leave the factory (if I recall, it was 4.5grs of V V N310 but call Wilson's customer line to double check).

If your local store does not carry N310 or even Vihta Vouri powder, I think they owe you an explanation as to why not - especially if they sell Wilson guns & then refuse to sell or order even the brand of powder that Wilson swears by for testing. Signed: "Tired of gunstore employees' response - Vihta what??? Never heard of it!!!"

Carlos,

Been using 4.2 of N310 with a Montan Gold 230 CMJ for a few years now, and really like it. Sounds like you are getting a little higher velocity, probably because you are shooting it out of a barrel that is one longer than my 1911. This is a great combination. ;)

Ahem. That reloading article was mine. And the N-310/200 gr Oregon Trail load comes straight from Bill Wilson. It was also the most accurate load in the largest number of guns I tested in my 1911 book.

For my revolver, I load a 230 fmj/plated over 4.4-4.6 of Titegroup or N-310. I load my rounds long, 1.260" to 1.265", so you should back off a little bit in your gun and chrono.

Apologies to Mr. Sweeney!!!! Imagine, I not only offended a USPSA-shooting author, but a fellow forum member to boot!! ( I am as embarassed as Howard Dean after his primal scream). Again, I apologize & also thank you for the pearls placed in Peterson's 1911 special edition of G&A. The part of my post about demanding more N310 from local retailers stands. Regards, C.

It can't be that hard for a retailer to lay hands on N-310. It isn't like there is a shortage, or something. For gosh sakes, when I complimented the Viht rep on how well the N-310 worked in the book, he sent me 20 pounds of it.

As for the other observations you made about the G&A 1911, I can only speak to my end of it. I'm only going to put in print in a national publication, loading data that I have persoanlly tested, and tested a lot. (The N-310 or WW-231 for example) Or data that I can read pressure specs derived from a proper laboratory. Hence, no 9mm Major loading data.

However, that said, I'll be at the SHOT Show bending the ears and arms of all the reloading components and data people. I'll let you know what results I get.

• 3 weeks later...

I bought a lb of 310 to try for a plastic gun in 45acp. I'm planning on using 198gr Moly coated RN bullets (Masterblasters) and starting at 4.2gr with an OAL of 1.246-1.250. I'm trying to get as flat a load as I can. Funny is that I just bought a VV hardbound loading manual that was new last Nov. and it doesn't have any info on N 310. I'll be shooting out of a 5.3" polygonal barrel. I'd sure appreciate any good suggestions and thanks in advance...

Racine

I loaded up some 4.0 of VV310 and 230 gr Montana Golds. Chrono'd at 149 PF in my 625. Good ole Oddjob gave me the load and he was thinkin it was major but no go. He is using a 6in slide. I think he needs about .02 more for him and I need .04 to .05 to get to major.

Rob