Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

going to first match

bigcat

well its been a long time coming getting my gun set up and running good but i am going to my first match on saturday. just a local match in columbia mo. i am not a 100% sure what all to expect but i have been training on plate rack with timer and working on draw and 1st shot times with recent focus on splits. i have no thoughts of winning but i am looking forward to starting this new part of my life. hope to see some of you there be sure to say hi and probably laugh a little at me also. name is darren mitchell

Wat cool. Welcome aboard. I'm new this year too. I only have one piece of advise and that is to go slow. The quickest way to get on the outside is to make some safety mistakes and you are bound to make a few. Make sure that you tell them when you sign up that you are new to USPSA and they will have someone walk you through the whole thing. It has been a phenominal year and I have loved every minute of it.

At my first match a buddy of mine said go slow on the first match. Take your time and shoot only fast enought to hit "A's". Speed will come in time. This way you will sneek up on everyone as you go. The most important thing is to have fun and meet new friends. Don't get upset if you miss and learn by your mistakes. I know for me it really told me what to work on.

The other thing you can do is to have someone video you shooting your match and use it as a training tool. Then you can see for yourself what you need to work on.

Just make sure to wipe the smile off your face every once in a while :) Have fun and be safe. Tell the safety officers that you are new and introduce yourself to the other shooters. I've met plenty of great people at shooting matches and always hope to meet more.

I have shot 3 matches so far, and each one keeps getting better. The last one I was doing pretty good and then had a mental break down based upon "Hey, I got this." No, I didn't "got" this, and screwede the pooch on the last stage. So far all of my problems have been mental lapses more than shooting. but man have I met some good people. A couple of days ago I stopped to eat a a popular restraunt and a guy got up and came over to my table to talk. I had met this guy at two of the matches, didn't remember his name, but was recognized. We talked about pistols all through lunch. This sport is great and all of the guys have really welcomed me.