Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Clarification on splits/transitions

Chris iliff

I've always heard that splits/transitions should be as close as possible. Let's say your splits on a El pres are in the low .20's and your transitions are in the low .40's. Now what exactly does getting them equal mean? Is there a standard to work towards, like moving the total time down but maybe bring splits up? The splits aren't fantasic, but workable. Do you bring the transitions down to equal the splits? What say you guys?

IMO split and transition times have nothing to do with each other.

You work on improving splits buy tracking the site up and down. And you improve transitions by learning to see the target before the sights get there.

be

That is what I kinda thought, but I have heard this before. I never took notice until tonight during practice and noticed mine were far apart on the El Prez. I guess that as long as vision is dictating it doesn't matter. It is going to be what it is going to be. Thanks, Brian.

It's really all relative...distance the target and distance between targets. One of the drills Manny Bragg showed us was a 45* transition drill. Two targets at 7yds, 45* from one another. He listed a GM goal of .35-.40s for it. Obviously, at 7yds, a GM would be shoot much faster splits than .35s...half of that or less. If the targets were more like 10* apart, the transition time would get a lot closer to the split times.

I guess that's a long way of saying that make sure you're comparing apples, to apples. R,

• 2 weeks later...

I've seen a lot of brand new shooters at matches that think that double tapping (or hammering, or whatever) is the way to go. They take a while to get on target, whack off 2 shots as fast as they possibly can, slowly acquire a new target, and do the same.

I think this advice is probably intended for people who have the mistaken idea that shooting really fast splits is the most important thing, and end up with slow times due to slow transitions (plus, lots of misses). So, basically, what Flexmoney said.

and we go back to those same people who have 'mad' split skills and ask them without looking, what are their hits on the targets in question??? chances are 9 times out of 10 they cant do it, they are of the 'surround the gun with brown and pull th trigger twice REALLY fast' which to some degree may even work for a while till you factor in increased distance/no-shoots/hard cover...then it becomes readily apparent they are just 'sprayin and a prayin' the ability to 'see' what you aredoing and 'know' where you are going will improve both your speed and scores...