Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Going Open?

Sarge

I JUST got into open, so my advice probably isnt worth a whole lot.. but I'll share what I did..

I bought a used setup from a local open shooter, and am going to shoot the crap out of it and make A or M ( :rolleyes: ) which will give me enough time to figure out what I really want out of an open gun. At that point I'll sell my setup cheap, and upgrade to a gun built just for me.

Sarge, it doesn't matter which one you get, you will find something that you will want changed on it. It's the nature of the beast. I would say, get an STI Trubor, send it to Dawson, have them put the performance package on it, and shoot it till you know what you really want.

• 4 weeks later...

This is turning into a saga more or less.:roflol: I hope to shoot two 38 SC's and two 9's this coming weekend. I am very thankful to all the suggestions, advice and PM's. I shot a match this weekend that had those very guns shooting in it. They were all flawless and the owners of all of them said they had absolutely no problems with them. I asked alot of questions about loads etc in order to start getting a feel for what is to come.

That being said, unless there is a major revelation this weekend after shooting the guns I plan to go with 9mm. I just can't get past the plain and simple fact that I don't have to pick up brass if I choose not to. I shoot enough matches that I can pick up enough in a month to last me all year, IF I CHOOSE TO DO SO. And I will certainly never have to buy any unless there is a major meltdown in my supply chain.

If it turns out to be a bust down the road I can always convert or just sell it and go to 38.

I am getting ready to email Matt Cheely and get my spot reserved on his build list. I have gotten several glowing reviews on his work and he is an easy drive from me if the need ever arises.

I'll update my "gun build diary" as time goes by.

Thanks again

Kevin