Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Caliber Conversions Help

SynnerG

Hey all, I'm a reloading virgin and I just ordered my 550B from Brian and it should be here by this Friday. I need some help with knowing what I need for future expansions to my press for other calibers. I bought the 550B with the 40/10mm setup and dies for my two primary pistols (XDM and PPS). Now I don't have the money yet to expand calibers, but, I'm just thinking ahead and trying to understand how the press actually works. The other pistol calibers I'm looking at are of course 9mm, but also the not as popular 380Auto. Now the last two are actually for two other people I shoot with. They'd like to reload on my press as well, and I agreed to basically rent out time on the press to them, and they are the ones that buy the conversion kit, bullets, brass, etc.

So, for the conversion kits, the only real big difference I see is one has the powder measure so I just change out the tool heads, and the other doesn't, so I have to calibrate the powder each time. Is a measure and tool head stand worth the 65 dollar difference between the basic and top-notch packages? Oh and also, say I end up not using a caliber anymore and the tool head and dies are useless to me, is there any chance at selling them off like via the classifieds or maybe just hope I can find someone at a gun show to sell them to?

Thanks!

welcome to the 'darkside' of shooting hehehe reloading, in reality you will be saving a ton of money in the long run, Dillon stated yrs ago if you loaded 1000 rds of .45 auto twice you basically paid for the press. Ive been loading on a 550b since 1990??? and have well over 250,000 rds loaded on it.

I am set up for 21 different calibers, all on toolheads, and no, i dont have 'complete' toolheads for all of em, i switch powder measures off one and onto another all the time, as you surmised, the only thing i have to do is re-check and or adjust the measure to throw the correct charge, its minimal time wasted to set things up, and i always run a few 'test' rds, before actually getting up and running

as for selling off used reloading equipment, if its in Dillon blue and kept in good shape, no rust and or scratches/dings or dents??? you should have ZERO problems selling it to another happy reloader

Haha, sounds good. I've been thinking back on my Operations class I took for my Business Minor to think about how I could run some ammo and sell to friends and make some money back for my purchase. The 380 guy would buy a lot, but he's the only one around using that round, so that would be a bit of a stretch to pay off the investment in 380 dies/etc. But I know for sure the 9mm guy wants to buy his own Dillon Dies and use my press until the day comes he can buy a full blown press and setup for himself.

Also, I'd be looking to also reload 223 for my RAA AR-15 and my next actual firearm purchase will be an M1A rifle, so I'd have to reload 308 as well. But basically what you're saying is that the cheapest solution (toolhead, dies, and conversion kit) is the way to go? Between pistols the powder measure would be altered slightly, but between pistol and rifle it would just be a greater adjustment I'm guessing.

Thanks a lot Cali, I was going to brag on how many caliber conversions I got and load for, WOW! 21 caliber conversion's !!! Sheeees! Lol..

I load on a 550 and I load for 3 calibers, yes cali only 3! Damm 21! And it does save time and money once you pass the initial start. The caliber conversion,s are a bit cheaper but more then other presses. And it also helps keep things organized on your bench! I recommend em and I like how it quick you can remove and install the quick change is, the only thing like Cali said is to check or adjust the powder measure after the initial set up of the dies you are good to go! Not sure if this will help out but good luck on your reloading setup!

Haha, sounds good. I've been thinking back on my Operations class I took for my Business Minor to think about how I could run some ammo and sell to friends and make some money back for my purchase. The 380 guy would buy a lot, but he's the only one around using that round, so that would be a bit of a stretch to pay off the investment in 380 dies/etc. But I know for sure the 9mm guy wants to buy his own Dillon Dies and use my press until the day comes he can buy a full blown press and setup for himself.

Also, I'd be looking to also reload 223 for my RAA AR-15 and my next actual firearm purchase will be an M1A rifle, so I'd have to reload 308 as well. But basically what you're saying is that the cheapest solution (toolhead, dies, and conversion kit) is the way to go? Between pistols the powder measure would be altered slightly, but between pistol and rifle it would just be a greater adjustment I'm guessing.

I don't mean to rain on your parade, but first, you need a type 6 FFL to produce and sell ammo (key word there being "sell"), even it's only to your friends or co-workers. Second, selling reloads to ANYONE is a very bad idea unless you have some major insurance. I would bet even your closest friend would try to sue you (and probably win) in the event you blew up his gun or blew off his hand. Now, about someone buying their own dies and using your press, well, let them have at it, but be sure to point out that you are not responsible for the rounds they load on your machine.

Well, you are called the GrumpyOne, so it's your job to rain on parades, lol. But thanks for the information. Still not a bad idea to go thru with the licensing as a side job amongst friends (with proper protection from being sued). But until I figure that all out, I'll just rent out my press to ppl that have their own dies to make their own.

Well, you are called the GrumpyOne, so it's your job to rain on parades, lol. But thanks for the information. Still not a bad idea to go thru with the licensing as a side job amongst friends (with proper protection from being sued). But until I figure that all out, I'll just rent out my press to ppl that have their own dies to make their own.

From what I'm hearing a FFL is very expensive and so is the insurance! Not sure but what if you made ammo and your buddy asked if he can try your ammo and he gave you a "GIFT?"

If I remember correctly it is legal for you to load for some one else IF they supply all of the brass, primers, powder, and bullets and you do not charge for doing it. I think that I would also have them sign a legal waiver (written up by a lawyer). All that said I do load for both a friend and myself and we split the work and expenses (same load for both of us).

Brian

Well a lot of my questions about caliber conversions were answered this weekend after I put my new 550B together and actually understand why I need the different plates, buttons, and funnels, haha. Should make any future purchases easier.

Well a lot of my questions about caliber conversions were answered this weekend after I put my new 550B together and actually understand why I need the different plates, buttons, and funnels, haha. Should make any future purchases easier.

it gets addictive! i also think im becoming a hordder! but not not like Cali and his 21 conversion kits he got!lol.... :goof:

If I remember correctly it is legal for you to load for some one else IF they supply all of the brass, primers, powder, and bullets and you do not charge for doing it. I think that I would also have them sign a legal waiver (written up by a lawyer). All that said I do load for both a friend and myself and we split the work and expenses (same load for both of us).

Brian

Per the law, it states to manufacture and SELL ammo....So the above statement should be correct. Only if you sell it do you run into a problem.

Don't know if Indiana law has changed, but I grew up on a shooting range / gun store and having a FFL and selling anything required a business license. Indiana's internal revenue service was not too kind to many recreational FFL holders back in the day. You sell it (gun or ammo) and they want their tax.

From what I'm hearing a FFL is very expensive and so is the insurance! Not sure but what if you made ammo and your buddy asked if he can try your ammo and he gave you a "GIFT?"

There's an old IRS joke that may be analogous to the problem I see with this approach:

"What's the difference between avoidance and evasion?"

"Oh, about 10-20 years."

There's an old IRS joke that may be analogous to the problem I see with this approach:

"What's the difference between avoidance and evasion?"

"Oh, about 10-20 years."

Again why jeopardize what you got?!