Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

S&W 617 Barrel

GlennRasch

I shot my 1st Steel match this past Sunday with my 4in. 617. I did ok on close shots but not so good on long shots. I would like some info. out there on putting a longer barrel on. I picked up a name I think was Ron White that did 22 work , so if that is right could send that info. also........ Thanks B)

Glenn, does your 617 have stock sights? If so, before you do anything drastic to the barrel, you might want to install one of Toolguy's .100" X .200" fiber optic front sights. Particularly in combination with the Weigand back blade, a narrower FO (or even black) front sight might be everything you need. The 6" 617s start to get pretty muzzle heavy and can inhibit the quick transitions you need on steel.

How far was the longest shot on a plate you had? Are you looking for someone to machine a barrel for you or if you got a longer barrel, install it?

50 yrd. on the long shots......

would like to look in to maybe a stock 6 or 8 in. barrel, and drill out the under lug ..

Not 100% sure, but I think you could screw on a 6" or 8-3/8" barrels from a Model 17 and have yourself a 10-shooter with long sight radius and no heavy underlug to bog you down.

Mike ,

So do you think you could drill a 8-3/8 barrel out you would keep the same profile but looking for the end it would look like a overunder shot gun. I gus you would have a 22 hole over a 45 hole......... is that some thing you could do ??? w/trigger also... That 627 hammer/trigger work you did for me is AWESOME.

Not 100% sure, but I think you could screw on a 6" or 8-3/8" barrels from a Model 17 and have yourself a 10-shooter with long sight radius and no heavy underlug to bog you down.

Mike ,

So do you think you could drill a 8-3/8 barrel out you would keep the same profile but looking for the end it would look like a overunder shot gun. I gus you would have a 22 hole over a 45 hole......... is that some thing you could do ??? w/trigger also... That 627 hammer/trigger work you did for me is AWESOME.

I don't have the machine capability for a project like that.....but if you look around you might be able to find a 6" or 8-3/8" skinny profile barrel from a 17, and I think that's probably what you want. Another alternative would be to use a 6" w/underlug 617 barrel, and have the underlug milled off. I think that would be easier than drilling it out, although I see the appeal in the O/U shotgun concept! :D

(Thanks for the kind words on your Carmonized 627--I hope you enjoy it for many years to come!)

Contact Scott Folk at Apex Tactical (Randy Lee's shop). He just fixed up my 617 and Tony Phan's 617. Mine started as a 6 inch barrel. I had him cut most of the underlug off, slabside the barrel and recontour the cylinder. Also had him put front cocking serrations on the barrel, just for kicks. Randy did a trigger job on it too! I'll see if he can post a picture here.

Seiichi

Contact Scott Folk at Apex Tactical (Randy Lee's shop). He just fixed up my 617 and Tony Phan's 617. Mine started as a 6 inch barrel. I had him cut most of the underlug off, slabside the barrel and recontour the cylinder. Also had him put front cocking serrations on the barrel, just for kicks. Randy did a trigger job on it too! I'll see if he can post a picture here.

Seiichi

I have pics. of Tony's gun looks nice, please send some of yours, need to see which way to go but also look cool too....if you build some thing people talk about, you build the right thing. Tony is a awesome shooter and I'm going to get some training for my son from him. Thanks everybody for all the grate info.

I have a 6" but wish I had the 4". It doesn't really bother me that much but like Mike said I think I am going to just mill the underlug off. Maybe not the whole thing, though. Perhaps I'll start out at an angle kind of like the contour of my 627 and see how that feels.

I have 4 pictures forwarded to me from Scott Folk of Apex, but the pictures have the Apex logo on them. I just want to make sure that the moderators are ok with my posting these pictures. I don't want it to be mistaken as "advertising". If there's an issue, I'll wait to get my gun back from them and post my own pics. Hopefully I'll have them back next week.

Seiichi

Moderators, please remove if I am out of line here. Just wanted to clarify, that these are pictures of my gun that is being worked on. I'm posting the pics here because I'm receiving numerous requests to forward these pics to personal email accounts. Sorry, but I don't have time to email out pics, as I'm prepping for Steel Challenge this week. But anyhow, here goes:k,

Good luck,

Seiichi

post-5774-013291000 1282055887_thumb.jpg

post-5774-053212800 1282055895_thumb.jpg

post-5774-046234900 1282055905_thumb.jpg

post-5774-004776900 1282055912_thumb.jpg