Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Powder Day

ErikW

In six hours I'm driving up to Tahoe to snowboard for the first time in a long while. We had a storm today that will make for a powder day on the mountains tomorrow. Snowboards and powder, mmmm. "Help, I've fallen and I can't get up!"

image_00000117.jpg

I wore my shooting Camelback. Not one person asked me, "Does it keep it cold?" Tip: buy an insulator or tuck the hose down the front of your jacket to prevent it from freezing. Doing this trick will thaw out a frozen hose.

"Partly Cloudy, Chance of Showers, Clearing in the Afternoon" around Donner summit means snow all day, heavy at times. The sun peeked out for 10 seconds once. I couldn't see the terrain and hit every bump and chop wrong. Later in the day my goggles kept icing over. The snow was really, really slow Sierra cement.

I am really disgusted with myself. I couldn't go down the mtn without stopping to catch my breath, though I never had an altitude (7000') problem before. I couldn't reach my bindings (like touching your toes) without great difficulty. My leg cramped up and I had to go home early. Four and a half hour trip home due to a 20 vehicle, 4 incident clusterf*#k on I-80W just past Fairfield. I went under 4.5 miles in an hour.

I went to Sugarbowl. I hate Boring-hill, the only place my mother would take us when I was a kid.

My brother has Flow bindings: step in and lift up the back, and you're gone. I would get a pair if I were going to do this more often.

I'm heading up to Reno for 3 days of dirt bike riding. I could make it 2 days and 1 day of snowboarding at Mt. Rose, but the same thigh muscles take a beating in both sports. And I can probably breathe better at 5000' than at 9000'.

Some day I am going to try to get to snow country. Here in the Sunny South (southern Alabama) we might get a half inch a year. All it really does is make the idiots drive faster. And the consistancy is kinda like a sno-cone. You can really do some serious damage to someone if you hit them with a snoball. Kinda like hitting them with a rock :D:D:D

dj

Pipes? Homey don't play dat.

BTW, not having been in the snow in a long time, I was fascinated by all the helmets. Only little kids and visiting Europeans wore helmets. Now they are all over, mostly on snowboarders, but also on a lot of skiiers. I talked to a guy about that, he said he wears wore since being knocked out after hitting a tree and witnessing somebody die after hitting a tree.

Yeah, it was strange to witness as it happened too. The Bono and Kennedy deaths slapped some people upside the head, and anybody that's ever caught a snowboard heelside edge on hard-pack is a believer.

After never wearing a helmet for 10+ years, now I wear mine all the time, skiing or boarding. It's amazing how much less clothing I have to haul around when I've got 1/2" of stylish styrofoam on my head.

The only people not wearing helmets at my home hill are me and my friends. That's about it. I guess a helmet would be OK if it was really cold. But it doesn't get really cold here and I'd just cook my brains in one the things.

You want a laugh (or to be depressed) head to epicski.com and check out some of the old Helmet Holy Wars threads. I think it might actually be worse than 9mm vs. 45.

Helmets are good. It's like seat belts and driving. You don't necessarily wear it because you are going to screw up but to protect you from the other guy.

I'm in the market for one after taking a jump and seeing some ding-dong hanging out that the bottom of the ramp. I waited and everything before I went too. He must have been sitting there for more than 5 minutes. It was either bail and screw up the landing or land and kill the guy. Not much else I could do being already 8 feet in the air.

The worst part is after I scrapped my self of the ground (trying to get out of the way of the ramp ... like you are supposed to.) He is still standing there trying to talk to me about how his bindings are loose and blah,blah,blah. I told him, he should get out from under the ramp and not stay there. What I wanted to say was

*()&)$^(*($* *(^$*(&_&^$$^ :angry: what are you? a :wacko: #$^*&$^()&$^(# :angry: $*^()$&*$^ :angry:

yes, I landed on my head ... explains a lot really.