Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Newb Questions.....bullets

Artsville

Hi All

I am a newbie loader and this site is great. I haven't loaded any rounds yet as i am in the homework stage. I am hoping someone can clear up some confusion i have over the method for creating a really soft load. I have searched and it seems many people have many ideas about this subject. I would like to create a soft shooting load but am uncertain if i should run with a heavier bullet or a lighter bullet? In other words does a heavy bullet make for a softer shooting load?

Please keep this in general for any caliber. I do realize burn rate and oal all play a role in this equation.

So can someone make a definitive statement or is it not possible?

thnx guys.....

Hi All

I am a newbie loader and this site is great. I haven't loaded any rounds yet as i am in the homework stage. I am hoping someone can clear up some confusion i have over the method for creating a really soft load. I have searched and it seems many people have many ideas about this subject. I would like to create a soft shooting load but am uncertain if i should run with a heavier bullet or a lighter bullet? In other words does a heavy bullet make for a softer shooting load?

Please keep this in general for any caliber. I do realize burn rate and oal all play a role in this equation.

So can someone make a definitive statement or is it not possible?

thnx guys.....

In general a heavy bullet and fast powder combo produce a softer load.

To add as an example. A combination of a 180 grain JHP and Solo 1000 make for a soft shooting round.

This is why i ask....I was going to try 180gr JHP with VV N320 powder. Then i started wondering if a 200gr would be a wiser choice. I shoot production in IPSC so i am not worried about my power factor at all.

anybody else have comments? I shoot an xd 40 in the 4" barrel. I am tired of shooting factory loads.

Art

yeah i know.....so heavier is better....got it.

smile.gif Well, heavier bullets and fast powder can be softer. Not necessarily better.

Some research in the 40 S&W sub-forum will reveal some fantastic work ups.

To add as an example. A combination of a 180 grain JHP and Solo 1000 make for a soft shooting round.

This is why i ask....I was going to try 180gr JHP with VV N320 powder. Then i started wondering if a 200gr would be a wiser choice. I shoot production in IPSC so i am not worried about my power factor at all.

anybody else have comments? I shoot an xd 40 in the 4" barrel. I am tired of shooting factory loads.

Art

A 180gr JHP with N320 would make for an outstanding Minor load. I'd guess something like 3.5gr or so would be enough to work the gun and easily make Minor. No real need to go to a heavier bullet...might even be a bit too sluggish and they cost more. R,

confusion i have over the method for creating a really soft load. I have searched and it seems many people have many ideas about this subject. I would like to create a soft shooting load but am uncertain if i should run with a heavier bullet or a lighter bullet? In other words does a heavy bullet make for a softer shooting load?

If your absolute priority is the softest possible recoil then the lightest

possible bullet is your answer. HOWEVER, if you have to make a certain

power level and the choice is between a heavier bullet moving at

a certain minimum velocity to make the power level or a light bullet

moving at the minimum velocity to make the power level, I dont really

know which would produce the lightest recoil.

BUT, you can google recoil calculators and find a half dozen and

you can plug your weight and velocity numbers in to give you the

relative recoil result. Of course you would do this after you calculate

the velocities per each bullet weight to give you the power levels

you need.

thnx guys....i sort of forgot the whole power factor need while looking at recipes. So if i don't need to worry about power factor at all then a lighter bullet would be the softest shooting. Now when i need to hit a power factor number then the recipe will just have to be bumped up a tad to make the PF i need. This is why i see the higher bullet weights.

I get it...right?

thnx guys....i sort of forgot the whole power factor need while looking at recipes. So if i don't need to worry about power factor at all then a lighter bullet would be the softest shooting. Now when i need to hit a power factor number then the recipe will just have to be bumped up a tad to make the PF i need. This is why i see the higher bullet weights.

I get it...right?

Sorta kinda. At a given power factor (we'll use 125PF which is minimum for Minor) the softest feeling load will be with a heavier bullet going slower. For your .40 you could use a 135gr bullet at 925fps or a 180 at 695fps (rounded those two). The 180gr load is going to feel softer.

You'll still want a margin of error above 125PF, because if you go sub-Minor, you're shooting for fun...so plan on 135-140PF or so. R,

Subscribed........

I have the same question.....I have already reloaded my first 300 or so and shot them this weekend

180G FMJ with Unique and Longshot......I did not notice a huge difference even with

4 different powder amounts ...Of course Im new and have plenty to learn.

Now I need to reorder Bullets......Stick with 180s or try some 165s.....

Subscribed........

I have the same question.....I have already reloaded my first 300 or so and shot them this weekend

180G FMJ with Unique and Longshot......I did not notice a huge difference even with

Both of those powders are too slow to get a really soft feeling load. R,

Subscribed........

not knowing what to buy a newbee takes recommendations,sometimes from general reloaders

and not ness experts......However If you ask 10 people what powder you want for a given caliper

youll get 10 answers .......Longshot I could see being a cannon with the right load though

• 5 months later...

Subscribed........

G-Man, I have been shooting 200gr Billy Bullets with 3.3gr of N320 and the load is soft and accurate and pushing an average of 715fps out of my G23 for a pf of 143(I shoot production). I am just about ready to reorder and I was thinking of going down to 180gr Billy Bullets. In theory would it be snappier? I really like the softness of the 200gr. Kent

I am sorry, but why would any one try a load without working up to it?

Why would any one use a shorter COL than their gun can handle?

Why would any one use a load designed for a long COL and reload to a shorter COL, without working up to it?

It just seems that everyone wants to jump into the load that "everyone" is using and not ever working up the load.

If every IPSC competitor was using YYYgn FMJ and 5.4 gn of XXX, I would start my loading at 4.7 gn and work up. Is this an unknown "trick" for reloading with todays shooters?

Oh, yes, the SAAMI max COL is a guide for the industry so that when a loader works up a load, they will use a longer COL and be "safe."

Here is the word from Ramshot and other powder suppliers:

It is important to note that the SAAMI “COL” values are for the firearms and ammunition manufacturers industry and must be seen as a guideline only.

The individual reloader is free to adjust this dimension to suit their particular firearm-component-weapon combination.

This parameter is determined by various dimensions such as

1) magazine length (space),

2) freebore-lead dimensions of the barrel,

3) ogive or profile of the projectile

and

4) position of cannelure or crimp groove.

Always begin loading at the minimum "Start Load".

• Watch for signs of excessive pressure.

Increase in 2% increments towards the Maximum Load.

• Never exceed the Maximum Load.

Here is two cents from a limited shooter.

200gr can be very soft and so can 180gr. 200gr bullets are hard to find and more $$. I shoot 180 because i can find lots of them.

If i was to shoot production with 40 cal, I would work up loads with 165gr and 180gr. Every gun will be different so you may like the feel of 165 or the 180 at slower speeds. Your gun mite also have better accuracy with one or the other.

I used n320 and solo 1000 in 40 cal and both are soft.

The difference in 15gr between the 180 and 165 with minor loads is less important than finding lots of bullets to send down range and working up a load that your gun shoots accurately.

Try both

Here is two cents from a limited shooter.

200gr can be very soft and so can 180gr. 200gr bullets are hard to find and more $. I shoot 180 because i can find lots of them.

If i was to shoot production with 40 cal, I would work up loads with 165gr and 180gr. Every gun will be different so you may like the feel of 165 or the 180 at slower speeds. Your gun mite also have better accuracy with one or the other.

I used n320 and solo 1000 in 40 cal and both are soft.

The difference in 15gr between the 180 and 165 with minor loads is less important than finding lots of bullets to send down range and working up a load that your gun shoots accurately.

Try both

Anilson, thanks for taking the time to answer! I just ordered some 180's and I will add some 165's to test alongside them.

Thanks again! Kent

Edited by Flexmoney

ok....got some reloading under my belt so an update.

I have now loaded and shot some 165 and 180gr bullets....plated and jhp....i must say the 180gr feel more like a push than a snap....although the difference is small but it is noticeable.....

I was shooting 165gr plateds at 142pf.....my 180gr i have not chrono'd yet but definitely a minor load.....

and G-man....your load knowledge is quite amazing......i loaded 3.8gr n320 180gr mgjhp 1.131 and i likee.....after chrono results your 3.5gr might be right.....

art