Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

slide-stop

stinsonbeach

Been having trouble w/ my slide not locking back every time.

Thought it was the mags

Seems my slide-lock has some play in it.

I'm going to order one, but any opinions? ...& how do you suppose that happened?

I've never had one become loose...before.

-jb

Slide stops can vary in diameter. FWIW, I've found that the standard size EGW stop runs larger and will tighten up that free play. I just replaced the factory stop in my STI Trojan for that reason. IIRC the the EGW was .2000 - .2005. I measured three non-EGW slide stops from STIs and the two newer ones were .1985 and one from a well-used 2011 was .1935.

How much play is too much? It would take somebody better versed in 1911s than me to explain.

:cheers:

Curtis

Edited: check the actual measurements on the STI stops and added 'em in.

Edited by BayouSlide

is the play up and down or is it moving out of the frame? What is the gun model?

if it is moving out of the frame, then it could cause the slide not to lock back, some gunsmiths dimple or groove the lever so as not to allow it to move out.

Otherwise it maybe the size of the tang(the part that contacts the follower in the magazine). I have had to install an STI lever in my Baer/SV since the original baer one had a short tang and would not engage the followers enough. have had no problems since.

Slide stops can vary in diameter. FWIW, I've found that the standard size EGW stop runs larger and will tighten up that free play. I just replaced the factory stop in my STI Trojan for that reason. IIRC the factory stop ran around .1985 and the EGW was .2000 - .2005. I measured three non-EGW slide stops from STIs and they varied from .1895 to .1985 IIRC.

How much play is too much? It would take somebody better versed in 1911s than me to explain.

:cheers:

Curtis

Actually I just sent away for an EGW stop. Thanks

The "play" is just enough to make slide-lock eradic (sp?).

Will let you know - should be here in 2 daze...

-jb

is the play up and down or is it moving out of the frame? What is the gun model?

if it is moving out of the frame, then it could cause the slide not to lock back, some gunsmiths dimple or groove the lever so as not to allow it to move out.

Otherwise it maybe the size of the tang(the part that contacts the follower in the magazine). I have had to install an STI lever in my Baer/SV since the original baer one had a short tang and would not engage the followers enough. have had no problems since.

Well, as you can see I just ordered an EGW.

If that doesn't do it, I'll steal one off my STI & let you know.

-jb

Edited by stinsonbeach

If it's a high round count gun...also check the hole in the frame to make sure it's not oval. I have a Springer that was worn like that. I had to get an over sized stop and fit it to the hole.

no it is a Baer lower w/ low round count.

-jb

Although this my post is not about the slide locking back I should tell you about what I have done.

I bought an extra slide lock and it was a larger diameter than the one that was currently being used. The one being used was old and did have quite a bit of wear. I thought that it would be good to install one that was not wore down. I did not consider that a year ago I had a new slide installed by a gunsmith and the barrel/slide were setup for that wore slide lock. Everything functioned fine, but after a few months a horizontal crack developed between the locking lugs and the rail channels in the slide. I figure that the barrel was being pushed up a little too far by the over-sized slide lock.

That was one of those learning things I hate.

Although this my post is not about the slide locking back I should tell you about what I have done.

I bought an extra slide lock and it was a larger diameter than the one that was currently being used. The one being used was old and did have quite a bit of wear. I thought that it would be good to install one that was not wore down. I did not consider that a year ago I had a new slide installed by a gunsmith and the barrel/slide were setup for that wore slide lock. Everything functioned fine, but after a few months a horizontal crack developed between the locking lugs and the rail channels in the slide. I figure that the barrel was being pushed up a little too far by the over-sized slide lock.

Funny yes?...that a simple thing like a slide-lock can be such a pain-in-the...

Well, I guess when you start lowering tolerances you "...get's what youse pay for..."

-jb

Well, I guess when you start lowering tolerances you "...get's what youse pay for..."

-jb

-jb,

This is why I went to REVOLVER's there are no more slides not stoping... bullets not feeding ........... just load.. point .. and pull the trigger and reload and do it again.

-jb

-jb,

This is why I went to REVOLVER's there are no more slides not stoping... bullets not feeding ........... just load.. point .. and pull the trigger and reload and do it again.

Couple of questions:

- I'd like to shoot a revolver myself but w/ only 6 allowable rounds it's simply not practical. I don't know why "they" - the powers that be - don't realize it's time to go to 8 rds w/o the classification penalty.

- & the triggers! I like to do my own triggers - if I can - & doing a revolver trigger is way WAY beyond me. To get a good revolver trigger-man you have to hunt far & wide. Oh, plenty of people say they can do it, but, like auto-mechanics & hair-dressers, only a very few can ACTUALLY do it!

-jb

Edited by stinsonbeach