Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Open is not fun for me because...

DyNo!

Is reloading range brass for 9mm major dangerous? I've heard that it should not be done if you like your fingers.

If it is, someone should have told me about 40k rounds ago, because that's ALL I have EVER used in my 9mm Major Open SVI. I even shoot range / old military brass for big matches, I have never purchased new brass. The only brass I don't shoot is S&B.

I strongly dislike shooting my .38 Super Comp Open gun because after a stage, I'm more focused on finding my brass than shooting the next stage!

Even then, I only find about half of it! I'm shooting nickle plated brass which is a lot easier to find once they are fired but even so, I still lose about half of it.

I'm trying to find a way to enjoy shooting the division I'm good at. Shooting my production gun is more fun primarily because I don't have to worry about getting an ulcer when I can't find a 9mm casing.

Benos members, could you tell me what options I have if I like shooting open but don't like continuously stressing over brass and having my wallet take a beating if I don't?

It seems as if I should move to 9mm major but, here are my thoughts:

I've entertained the thought of a .40 caliber race gun but I'm certain that its recoil would make it uncompetitive (I just moved up to Open A and even shooting titegroup to save money had a negative effect on my shooting). I don't think the increased recoil of .40 will be something I'd like shooting in that class and division. It would also, be cost prohibitive for my budget to have two open guns especially since the one I've got has been running well for a decade straight. I can manage the reduced magazine capacity so that isn't one of my considerations.

I've entertained the thought of converting the gun to 9mm. I've heard that it would cost around $500 :blink:. Would I risk blowing myself up if I loaded range brass to 9mm major? If so, I don't see how it would be much better since I'd still have to theoretically buy brass and keep track of it. At least with .38 Super Comp, IF I find the brass and it isn't cracked, I know it is good to go.

I know what you mean , I shoot revolver w/moonclips on more running after brass.......... on the other hand my son (12) shots a XDM in 9mm and I'm running to pick brass all the time. They have on clue in what it takes to play like this, with that said....... I'm glad on the time I'm spending with me because there is NO price for father/son time.......

Looks like this is the answer:

http://www.dawsonpre...0849-1194042320

http://shootersconne...acer-P1450.aspx

I have 3 short SVI magazines and a STI big stick. Since I'm shooting Supercomp, I assume all I need is the stuff above and a competent smith to install the barrel?

If so, looks like I'll be shooting the rest of my Supercomp and selling the brass, dies, & comp/barrel to fund it.

I've been playing with 9 major for 6 months, it is viable. The SVI mags work great in mine. I use the metal spacer from Shooters connection in my STI Big stick, also use SVI Big stick and an SPS big stick. I have found in my gun that RN bullets feed better than the hollow points. (this is with my shorty gun).

As far as can a 9 major gun shoot as well as a 38 Super, I'm going to say that it can, and bear in mind this is an opinion from a low class shooter with only 2 years of open shooting and I normally shoot slower than a GM.

An open gun is a system and when properly tuned that means all the right parts and the load that matches up a 9 mm major can shoot pretty darn sweet. This opinion does not apply to shorties as I have not shot one that did not flip more than I like. My full size 9 Major with Dawson Awesome comp shoots very comfortably at 177pf. I just shot it first time yesterday and was amazed at how nice it felt, I was also testing 38 Super Comp in the same slide frame but differnt comp and a little hotter load and it also was sweet but a tick spicy. Your milage and preceptions may vary especially if style and components are different. (loads were hot because they were made for another gun that requires more powder).

Also bear in mind that soft and flat does not mean fast, this is a quote from XRE an expert in open guns and shooting same.

Is reloading range brass for 9mm major dangerous? I've heard that it should not be done if you like your fingers.

If it is, someone should have told me about 40k rounds ago, because that's ALL I have EVER used in my 9mm Major Open SVI. I even shoot range / old military brass for big matches, I have never purchased new brass. The only brass I don't shoot is S&B.

Exactly the same for me as far as brass goes

You got me curious. What's the deal with S&B brass? I know I regularly pick and reload S&B and I have not had any issues with it (yet?). Knock on wood... Anything I should be aware of?

You got me curious. What's the deal with S&B brass? I know I regularly pick and reload S&B and I have not had any issues with it (yet?). Knock on wood... Anything I should be aware of?

Honestly, I think you are better off not knowing. It's nothing wide spread, I just know what my gun likes/dislikes. If it runs in your gun, stick with what you know.

Benos members, could you tell me what options I have if I like shooting open but don't like continuously stressing over brass and having my wallet take a beating if I don't?

We have a nice system for our training range:

if the shooters has finished, he looks up his targets and patch it. In the meanwhile the other shooters are picking up his brass.

The range is always clear from brass and the shooter get back his brass completly.

Ok, this works always on training, at matches the most of the brass is surely gone.

I got tired of picking up my 38 SC brass and sold my 2 Open 38 SC guns and had 9mm Major guns built. I don't pick up brass any longer. I load one fired 9mm brass for big matches and range brass for local matches. So far I have not experienced any problems. I have been shooting them for 2+ years.

It's looking like I might have to do that.

I actually have a bond with my open gun so I don't know if I can do that. Might make sense to turn the 38SC brass fund into the 9mm Major Open fund.

It is not dangerous at least not unless you do something completely out of the ordinary. There are lots of loads posted here and lots of suitable powders. The best is probably SP2 but I think you have a hard time getting it in the US. Beside that most people here are using 3n37 and some 3n38 for making major. From reading here in the US you use mainly other brands. But no matter what there are lots of suitable powders and suitable loads around that are safe.

I for my part use purely range brass. I do try to get minor brass not because major one would be unsafe but because its easier to reload.