Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shooting Low

dajarrel

Is it just me, or do others have problems shooting low with their revolvers after shooting Limited for a long time? I can set up on the bench and consistently shoot bullseyes, but when I address targets in a COF, it seems I consistantly shoot low. It is a minor problem on paper targets as low center of target will typically be 2 "A" or an "A"-"C", but it is kicking my backside on steel. I just keep hitting low.

Should I adjust my sights to hit, or is there some other problem there I just haven't seen.

thanks in advance

dj

I notice I pull my shots low too when I haven't been shooting my revolvers for a while. Same as you describe, but usually only on "easy" targets, because I don't follow through enough. And it goes away when I tell myself to see the sights all the way up and down again (have a continuous sight picture).

Should I adjust my sights to hit, or is there some other problem there I just haven't seen.

thanks in advance

dj

Back to revolver basics with trigger control and grip. I feel the sights should be the last thing you adjust after the grip has been adjusted and the trigger pull is consistant.

Regards,

gary

Is it just me, or do others have problems shooting low with their revolvers after shooting Limited for a long time?

You are not the only one. I have no advice because I'm having the same trouble. I went to my revolver, and I have been doing the very same thing. I kind of had it in my mind that by shooting revolver it would help my trigger control, and make me a more accurate shooter, (keep telling myself to slow down dummy you only have six shots) but so far I can shoot my auto's so much more accurate and without frustration. I'll definately use the tips from Round_gun_shooter, and Spook. Hopefully I can figure this wheel gun thing out, cuz it looks like so much fun!

Paul,

I had to think about that for a minute. When I put my fiber optic sight on the gun and adjusted the back sight, I did it free handed. I will occasianally (sp) bench shoot the gun when working on accuracy, particularly on longer (50yrd) shots. I enjoy bench shooting every once in a while, but I adjust the sights the way that I shoot the gun.

And it's not like I readjust them all the time. I haven't put a screw driver to them in several months. I think the problem is "me". you know... it's not the arrows, its the injun. :D

bountyhunter mentioned anticipating the recoil. That is a possibilty that I will try to be aware of tomorrow night when we have our bi-weekley plate shoot.

thanks for the replies,

dj

Hey dj,

I had the opposite problem at the last plate match. John lent me his 625 to shoot against the other revolver guys with and I couldn't understand why I was missing the plates so bad. I finally started hunting for the point of impact and found that I had to aim just below the plates to hit them. After ribbing John for setting me up with a revolover that wasn't zeroed. He sighted it in on some paper and said it was dead on. Go figure. See ya tomorrow night.

Bill:

I tend to shoot a little high when I switch from my 1911 to a Smith revolver. I am with you, it's the grip angle. I really miss those early Hogue grips that had a little wood coming around the backstrap. Too expensive to make and not enough demand I suspect.

Thanks guys for the replies,

We had our man-on-man steel plate shoot tonight and I ended up second to a guy shooting a 686 revolver with a 18 inch barrel. Well actually it was only 8 or so, but it seemed like he should have give me a plate because his bullets were halfway downrange when he fired!!!!!

Truthfully though, it was the operator not the equipment tonight. I found my sight picture and although still shooting low I was consistantly knocking the plates down. But when the competition is tight, if you miss, you lose.

Gosh I love this sport :D:D:D

dj