Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Help! Powder selection for newbee!

tisch006

My 1st post. Just found this forum and looks like great info!

Here's my situation. I just began shooting USPSA this spring and have decided to get into reloading. I have an XD-40 that is bone stock. So far I'm having just a blast and am learning a ton at the same time!

I've picked up all my equipment and have even tried a few experimental loads. I've so far here's what I've loaded:

180 gr Berry's TMJ

5.0 gr W-231

OAL 1.120 - 1.135

CCI small pistol primers

my own once fired brass I've collected during league nights

Everything seems fine so far. I'm just nervous about all the horror stories about re-loading the 40 S&W. I've been "borrowing" powder from a buddy but am going to purchase my own stash this weekend and am hoping to get some suggestions. Right now I'm not overly concerned about making major. More just gaining experience, being safe, and having fun.

I'm considering Universal or HP38 as candidates for powder to begin with. I'm definately going to begin w/light loads and have heard I should try for a slower burning powder. Does anybody have any suggestions for an easy to load powder that will be least likely to give me any unpleasant surprises during my wed night league?

Thanks in advance for you advice! :D

First off, welcome!

Second, the horror stories about .40 are mostly from folks that simply aren't taking the time to learn the proper way to load ammo. Take the time to get the basics down, work off published data, take your time and you won't have any problems.

231 isn't a bad powder, but it's a little dirty (it's also the same as HP38). I loaded some .40 with it back in the mid-90s and then moved on to other powders. Titegroup and VV N320 are probably the two most popular powders for .40, both Major and Minor.

From an economy standpoint, unless you're getting some sort of break on Berry's bullets, I'd look elsewhere. At $116/K Berrys are more expensive than Precision Delta 180gr FMJs at $110/K and slightly less than Montana Gold 180gr FMJs ($120/K if you buy a case of 2500). Both PD and MG bullets are better bullets....why pay more for less?

First off, welcome!

Second, the horror stories about .40 are mostly from folks that simply aren't taking the time to learn the proper way to load ammo. Take the time to get the basics down, work off published data, take your time and you won't have any problems.

231 isn't a bad powder, but it's a little dirty (it's also the same as HP38). I loaded some .40 with it back in the mid-90s and then moved on to other powders. Titegroup and VV N320 are probably the two most popular powders for .40, both Major and Minor.

From an economy standpoint, unless you're getting some sort of break on Berry's bullets, I'd look elsewhere. At $116/K Berrys are more expensive than Precision Delta 180gr FMJs at $110/K and slightly less than Montana Gold 180gr FMJs ($120/K if you buy a case of 2500). Both PD and MG bullets are better bullets....why pay more for less?

Thanks G-Man! I'll be definitely switchin to delta. Can't beat that price!

As for powders, I bought a small container of WSF. They didn't have the power pistol and though I'd read somewhere to start with a slower burning powder. Besides, I figured it'd be easy to work with as the 231 was and they are both ball powders.

I'll load up a few mags and try them his wed night and report back.

Thanks agaan or the advice!

I'm a big fan of W231 - I use it for my Major .45ACP and Minor 9mm loads - but due to lack of availability, I haven't loaded it in .40S&W.

I have loaded .40S&W with a number of different powders - including PP - ending up with Universal. I'm pretty pleased with its performace. I didn't like the recoil impulse I was getting with Power Pistol at all.

My Limited load:

180gr MG CMJ

5.2gr Universal

WSP

1.130" OAL

~173 PF

I've been loading for the 40 for less than 6 months, but FWIW, I've settled on Power Pistol and 180 gr. Precision Delta. Works quite well for me in mid range loadings. PD can be a little slow on delivery because order backlogs (I've also used Zero and they to can be a bit slow). I bought some WSF to try--I've read positive things about it.

Everything seems fine so far. I'm just nervous about all the horror stories about re-loading the 40 S&W. I've been "borrowing" powder from a buddy but am going to purchase my own stash this weekend and am hoping to get some suggestions. Right now I'm not overly concerned about making major. More just gaining experience, being safe, and having fun.

I'm considering Universal or HP38 as candidates for powder to begin with. I'm definately going to begin w/light loads and have heard I should try for a slower burning powder. Does anybody have any suggestions for an easy to load powder that will be least likely to give me any unpleasant surprises during my wed night league?

Thanks in advance for you advice! :D

I've been loading for almost 30 years and am in complete agreement with your thoughts on using slower burning powders, the very fast powders leave very little margin for error and pressure spike way too rapidly for my comfort. Here's the load I use for day to day shooting.

Precision Delta 180g FMJ

Universal Clays 5.2g

Federal 200 SP Magnum primer

OAL 1.130

Started using the Magnum primers during the shortage when they were all I could get. Found they seem to give a cleaner burn with Universal and are more consistent so I've stayed with them. This is a pretty light load and should come in at just under 1000FPS.

Sal

Are you shooting L10 (major) or production(minor)?

production (why minor?)

Because if you're shooting Minor, you can use fast powders, that are softer feeling, cleaner burning, and less expensive (use less) and still have a huge safety margin....it's the tastes great, less filling of the reloading world!

Are you shooting L10 (major) or production(minor)?

production (why minor?)

Because if you're shooting Minor, you can use fast powders, that are softer feeling, cleaner burning, and less expensive (use less) and still have a huge safety margin....it's the tastes great, less filling of the reloading world!

:roflol:

Nice!

...but seriously, I don't have a preference yet as to Major/Minor. I was under the impression that the faster burning powders cause pressure spikes that are a no-no in .40? :blink:

Edited by tisch006

You dont have to shoot major in production. (you can, it just wont matter to your score). So you're only at a disadvantage by shooting more powerful major loads. Production is only scored minor.

Just thought I'd report back on my 1st impressions.

180g Berry's plated

5.4g WSF

CCI 500 primers

once fired federal brass

OAL 1.135

XD40 stock service model

Everything seemed to work just fine w/my 1st attempt at reloading. No malfs in the XD. Accuracy was good (probably my fastest time shooting steel this year!), recoil seemed similar to factory ammo, and not too dirty. I think I'll burn through this bottle and give the Universal a try next.

I appreciate all of the advice!

BTW - I ordered 1000 of the Zero 180 TCFM. I wanted to order the Deltas but the 2000 minimum order was out of my current budget.

Thanks again to everyone! :cheers:

• 3 weeks later...

I've been loading with WSF for a bit now.

With plated 180gr bullets I've been getting about 169-170PF with

5.7gr WSF

Berry 180 TCFM

1.125 OAL

wolf small pistol primers

With Mollycoated lead, I load

5.2gr WSF to get same major PF

Same as above on OAL and primers

I tried 1.135 for a while but my Sig seems to load alot easier with the 1.125 OAL better. My Glock 35 didn't seem to matter as much.

Ozzie,

my XD likes the 1.135 just fine however, at 5.4 gr of WSF I'm finding some unburnt powder?!?!?:surprise:

Not sure if I should try bumping it up a bit or not?

Berry's 180 RS

WSF 5.4 gr

CCI #500 primers

OAL 1.135

stock XD-40 w/4" barrel