Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tired of arguing about cover calls?

jmorris

Race Equiptment? Really? A sensor makes you have a competitive advantage?

The sensor is the same thing as holding up "the finger" for a procedural. At least this way this is no confrontation between the S.O. and the shooter. It would be obvious.

Then again, there would have to be extensive testing in this to assure the angle of the sensor is right. It would probably be better than most S.O.'s eyesight.lol

Looks like a high tech fault line to me. Not legal for IDPA... but not a bad idea.

I'd have to agree. I would check with Robert Ray before using it in a major match. it depends on what the definition is for a "fault line" and what HQ's interpretation is. If we think in literal terms, like in many sports, its a line painted on the ground that differentiates the in-play area from the out-of-play area.

you said.."You break the beam and everyone can tell..." A fault line is used for the same purpose. You are substituting an IR beam (line of light) for a line of paint. Don't get me wrong...I think its a cool idea but expect to get complaints from competitors if you don't have it cleared by HQ.

Fault definition: a wrong action attributable to bad judgment or ignorance or inattention. (sports) a serve that is illegal (e.g., that lands outside the prescribed area); "he served too many double faults"

Line definition: A geometric figure formed by a point moving along a fixed direction and the reverse direction. A real or imaginary mark positioned in relation to fixed points of reference. A border or boundary

Edited by Filishooter

I would suggest that we already have fault lines used in IDPA (as it refers to the use of cover ONLY). While it is not a line drawn on the ground or a wooden board nailed to the ground.......each time someone gets a cover call, they are outside the visual fault line drawn by the SO or Scorekeeper from the target being engaged and proper use of cover. Outside this line, especially with your lower torso and you get a PE. By definiation, being outside of cover is exceeding the line between the threat and the edge of cover.

I know, the rulebook is talking about fault lines as indicated by other shooting sports, usually limiting a person's movement while shooting, but in the case of cover......we use visual fault lines to indicate proper use of cover. This interesting concept in discussion has been limited to cover.

JMO

Garry

While it is not a line drawn on the ground or a wooden board nailed to the ground.......each time someone gets a cover call, they are outside the visual fault line drawn by the SO or Scorekeeper from the target being engaged and proper use of cover

I guess a quote is in order, the rule book is very specific.

CoF 20. No foot-fault lines may be used on any scenario stage.

If it is on the ground that would be a "foot-fault" line. Anything above the foot is not in the book.

I think the intent behind the no foot-fault rule is that the competitor has to find that line that provides adequate cover on their own, vs the stage providing that input in the form of paint or raised line. I would consider this gizmo to be aiding the SO in knowing where that line is more so than the competitor. I don't see it as a fault line unless the competitor can see the IR beam and use it to know where the out of bounds line is located...

-rvb

Present it to IDPA HQ and get their ruling...if they say its GTG then that's the final word.

Personally I'd like to see this gizmo used at more matches. Get a patent and start hitting the junkyards for windshield sprayers, it might be the next big thing like the charging target! Its been pretty damn hot down here...some people may take a procedural just to get hosed down.

Edited by Filishooter

well what they REALLY need to do is just have the targets rigged up with bb-guns that are shooting at you constantly until you neuche the targets, then we wouldnt need cover calls. :ph34r:

and when you need to move out in the open....you would MOVE

Edited by Field