Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Practicing indexing.

Neomet

Yeah that worked really well.... I tried seven different searches and couldn't find a thing.

I just put "Index" into the search engine in the Handgun Technique forum and I get 16 pages worth of results? Perhaps I'm not understanding the joke.

Got to love a moderator who takes a little time to help out a new guy

This has been hashed out very in depth in the past several times and the information really isn't that hard to find.

I would rather help the new guy help himself. Learning to use the search function will help the new guys out far more than any post I could make. 95% of the time, they don't use it unless directed to or they try it for 15 seconds and can't find what they are looking for so they post here wanting someone else to find it for them. Sorry, I'm not sorry.

I've answered more "new guy" posts in depth than the vast majority of people on this forum and if there is one thing I've found, the people that are truly seeking the information will find it. There isn't much that hasn't been discussed here with 1,300,000 posts.

Hey noob, do a search. ;)

Yeah that worked really well.... I tried seven different searches and couldn't find a thing. :blush:

Got to love a moderator who takes a little time to help out a new guy ;)

The term index gets thrown around alot from magazine index to holster index etc but here it is being used to describe the position you would be in when your gun in held in a proper grip, you are in a solid firing stance, and the sights are properly aligned on target. If you have any background shooting a rifle you may have heard the term NPA (Natural Point of Aim). Finding this position and developing your ability to assume it with little effort will be the basis that you start each course of fire from and subsequently it will be this position that you then modify to address the different challenges or obstacles that you will encounter in a course of fire.

Here is a couple of threads for you

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=117099&st=0&p=1327821&hl=target%20index&fromsearch=1entry1327821

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=117099&st=0&p=1327821&hl=target%20index&fromsearch=1entry1327821

Smokshwn, I can't thank you enough! I will look them up and start practicing! I really do try to search these things out, but I am not sure of the terminology sometimes....

I am very grateful to all the help I find on here and I really like the "gun people" in our gun world! My 14 year old son and I are learning fast and we have met some of the best people! Thanks again! Kent

Yeah that worked really well.... I tried seven different searches and couldn't find a thing.

I just put "Index" into the search engine in the Handgun Technique forum and I get 16 pages worth of results? Perhaps I'm not understanding the joke.

Got to love a moderator who takes a little time to help out a new guy

This has been hashed out very in depth in the past several times and the information really isn't that hard to find.

I would rather help the new guy help himself. Learning to use the search function will help the new guys out far more than any post I could make. 95% of the time, they don't use it unless directed to or they try it for 15 seconds and can't find what they are looking for so they post here wanting someone else to find it for them. Sorry, I'm not sorry.

I've answered more "new guy" posts in depth than the vast majority of people on this forum and if there is one thing I've found, the people that are truly seeking the information will find it. There isn't much that hasn't been discussed here with 1,300,000 posts.

Jake, no problem! I understand your point. I saw the 16 pages, but I must have missed what I was looking for. I just wanted a clear definition of what indexing was. I saw many good post on how to practice it as well as philosophies, but I never found a flat out description of what it was. I really do try to search before I ask..... :cheers: Happy Holidays to you and yours!! Kent

If its so easy to find then it is also very simple to give a new guy one or two links to get them started. Especially when a search for "index" turns up 16 pages of random references.

No, you didn't help a new guy help himself. You gave him a smartass answer with attitude.

Yes maybe there are a lot of folks looking for a freebie, and when it is the third thread on page one of that is asking "which holster is..." yes a search is in order. But by your own math 5% of the time the new guy may not have the initial knowledge or vocabulary to even conduct an effective search. That is where I generally notice other mods suggest the search function along with some guidance to properly direct the person to useful info.

There isn't much that hasn't been discussed here with 1,300,000 posts.

Following that logic to its inevitable conclusion there is no need for you to post ever again <_<

Edited by smokshwn

If its so easy to find then it is also very simple to give a new guy one or two links to get them started. Especially when a search for "index" turns up 16 pages of random references.

No, you didn't help a new guy help himself. You gave him a smartass answer with attitude.

Yes maybe there are a lot of folks looking for a freebie, and when it is the third thread on page one of that is asking "which holster is..." yes a search is in order. But by your own math 5% of the time the new guy may not have the initial knowledge or vocabulary to even conduct an effective search. That is where I generally notice other mods suggest the search function along with some guidance to properly direct the person to useful info.

Following that logic to its inevitable conclusion there is no need for you to post ever again

Listen Craig.

There was no attitude. It was said in jest because he referred to himself as a "newbie" first. I actually laughed when I posted it. Hence the reason for the wink at the end of the sentence. I'm terribly sorry if my joke offended your delicate sensibilities.

If a person has the initial knowledge and vocabulary to post the question, I'm fairly confident that they would be able to type the same thing into the search engine and read. That is a ridiculous argument.

As for the rest of your post, I don't think that was called for. I'm surprised (and a little bummed) someone that is 26 years old has to say that...

In other words...Lighten up, Francis. ;) (< another joke)

Not to derail this thread but I've been a member here for a bit. I still have challenges getting good search results. Maybe I'm not good at it or haven't figured it out but I'll even try google searches. I did a search for "comp III" the other day and I missed all the good threads that I know were here. Just sayin.... don't rip me a new one. :D

As an instructor I've always said there is never a stupid question....but it does take a lot of patience to answer them all...again and again. The nature of a forum is such that there will always be questions repeated ad nauseum...how we respond to the question for the umpteeth zillionth time will really show us something about ourselves...

Not to derail this thread but I've been a member here for a bit. I still have challenges getting good search results. Maybe I'm not good at it or haven't figured it out but I'll even try google searches. I did a search for "comp III" the other day and I missed all the good threads that I know were here. Just sayin.... don't rip me a new one. :D

(No ripping. ;) )

I did an advanced, thread title only search in all forums for "comp III" (w/o the quotes) and a crapload of results were returned.

be

(No ripping. ;) )

I did an advanced, thread title only search in all forums for "comp III" (w/o the quotes) and a crapload of results were returned.

be

I'm classified as a 'D' in searching. I'll keep working on it. :wacko: