Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Team strategy for an individual game ...

It's easy to understand how IPSC shooting is an individual Sport, but sometimes (expecially at level IV & V matches) we have to deal with the concept of "team-strategy": the Top Guys (and Galls) from every Region are grouped in Teams, and they have to compete against each-other not only for the individual title, but also as aTeam.

My personal opinion about "Team-strategy" is quite simple:

each member of the team shoot the match at his (or her) best, like always happens in an INDIVIDUAL competition;

only later, in the second-half of the match, it's possible to approach ALSO a sort of "Team-strategy", even if it's quite simple to imagine:

- if your team has an advange agains the others, it's wise to preserve it and shoot the rest of the match safely;

- if your team is a little bit behind the first-one, you can TRY to push a little-bit, just to catch the Guys that are in front of you;

- if your team it's far behind .... miracles sometimes happens, but most likely in a situation like this there's nothing to do ....

Apart from this, I dont' think that REALLY exist a different way of playing the game:

sometimes I've heard about some much-more complicated scenarios, where the particular strategy of 1 or 2 Teams is able to help (or just the opposite) another one, but I don't believe it's really so simple (and possible) to do this "on demand" ...

What do you think guys ?

I'd be happy with a relay race.

Shooter A starts the COF and stops at a certain point to run back to the beginning and tag the next shooter who does a table start - etc.

It would be more fun in 3-gun.

Some times in a squad / team one of the shooters will have an Idea on how to save some time. posibly something no one has found yet. If that shooter goes last no one in the group can benifit from it. So you can put that shooter in first to 'Game it' and see if it is worth the risk.

I'd be happy with a relay race.

Shooter A starts the COF and stops at a certain point to run back to the beginning and tag the next shooter who does a table start - etc.

It would be more fun in 3-gun.

IN Sportsman's Team Challenge the hand gun only stage is shot as a Relay with a set time to complete all three portions. Its the most pressure I have ever felt in an event. As the first shooter , you have to knock down the 24 targets and still give your team the most time you can so they can finish.

As the last shooter you have to hit the most difficult targets , normally with the least amount of time.

I remember the first two shooters doing Fantastic one year at the Nationals and I had more time than ever before. as I made the 20 yard run to the gun the thought popped in my head. " Oh I have to hit them ALL!" .... We had time left on the clock at the end.

For sure, sharing (and evaluating) different ideas among team-mates is a good opportunity.

But I was referring to the possible strategy-games among different Teams (from different Countries) during an international match.

Never been, but my impression is that each shooter can and does represent his/her country as an individual competitor, right?. Given that, seems that the priority is the individual performance first, and the team performance becomes a compilation of the individual efforts. Your best effort for yourself is your best effort for the team.

What I've seen, at least in my limited experience at larger matches, is that the super squads are all about talking over strategies and techniques with each other on each stage, even though they are competitors. Maybe at the World Shoots there would be a bit more rooting for your mates, coordinated shirts, more shared accommodations/meals and paling around with them evenings, but I don't see much else that could happen that doesn't already go on.