Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How To Clean The Glock Using Lead Bullets

sgrc1

I shoot my GLOCK 17 using the following:

- Lead for practice and club matches.

- Montana Gold JHP for more important matches.

Also I apply Slide Glide #3 to it

The thing is I really don´t clean my gun, all I do right after shooting is pass the bore-snake a few times, wipe of the dirt and sweat of the grip and slide and put it away. Is this fine for the Glock given I use alot of Lead or should I be more thorough with my cleaning process?. I have read some threads saying you shouldn´t bother cleaning the barrel and others say you should.

Help would be greatly appreciated.

What type of barrel do you have in your G-17?

If you have an aftermarket, they are for shooting lead.

If you have the stock glock, it doesn't have quite as much support for the case head, there might be more of a question. There are plenty of people that shoot lead through the 17 and are quite happy.

I've found the Remington lead cleaner to be pretty good stuff, put it on a patch around a brush and go to town.

Its the Glock factory barrel.

Flexmoney, why wont you shoot lead through the Glock?

Should extra care be taken to clean other parts of the gun, not only the barrel, such as the firing pin channel, pin stop, etc... Or will lead pretty much not accumulate there?

never shoot lead on any glock factory barrel since it has a polygonal bore that attracts more lead build up and that it has a huge unsupported chamber. shooting lead will cause buildup and pressure will increase each time you shoot it/. then it may kaboom.

kaboom- a failure of the casehead on an unsupported chamber which will cause damage to your gun and probably yourself included. It was made famous by glocks since they have and is still continuing having such occurence. the main reason is the huge tolerance of glock's unsupported chamber as compared to others like colt 1911 barrels.

so dont do it. buy fmj or moly or plated rounds for your glock. better yet dump the barrel and get a bar sto or similar supported barrel. then shoot your lead rounds.

And here we come to the problem of making recommendations over the Internet. I'm firmly convinced it's possible to fire lead safely through a Glock 9mm. I do it all the time. BUT there are a few rules that must be followed. So I tell people how to do this, someone doesn't understand or follow the rules, his gun KBs, and who gets ALL the credit? Yer 'umble servant, that's who. <heavy sigh>

Try this: Put a rudder stop in the end of the barrel. Mix in a small cup 50% Hydrogen Peroxide and 50% viniger, pour in until it completely fills the chamber and let sit for 20 minutes then dump out and rinse with the remianing solution, run a bore brush through a couple of times and finish with a bore snake. I do this about every 2000 rounds. This take out all the leading and doesn't hurt the barrel. I've put 10's of thousands of rounds (MasterBlaster) thru my Glock and my barrel still looks new.

sgrc1,

I would give your Glock barrel a good clean after shooting lead bullets.

Same for your use of jacketed bullets. Lead will be attracted to any copper deposits.

Here in Australia, almost everyone uses lead bullets for pistol shooting (ipsc) because of the cost of jacketed ammo.

I've shot lead in all my Glocks for over 15 years without any problems.

It just depends on the suitability of the bullet to the barrel. Obviously, you need to use a hard bullet. A lot depends on the powder too. A slower powder is most likely to result in less leading.

The market leader in lead bullets has been coated projectiles (poly) and for Racegunners, only a wipe with a tissue is all that is required for cleaning.

If I were you ( and I do shoot lead & jacketed in the same barrel ), I wouldn't change what you are doing.

Kirby.

Thanks to all,

The probelm is cost is a disadvantage, I live in Guatemala and supply is limited, 1K of FMJ cost around $80, 1K of lead costs around $20. Huge difference, especially if you want to practice alot.

I believe I cant change the barrel due to IPSC Production rules, so this I think is out of the question, unless this is not true and barrels can be changed.

Duante, I am interested in hearing your recommendations for safely shooting lead.

Is the only problem with the lead in the barrel due to the extra pressure? or is it also in the other parts (i.e trigger bar, firing pin channel, trigger, conector, etc..)

Thanks

sgrc1,

no, you can't change barrels for Production Division.

Lead deposits only a safety factor in the barrel as you correctly state - due to pressure.

Here in Australia, the cheapest I can buy jacketed projectiles is A$ 110 per 1000.

Lead projectiles can be purchased for around A$ 50 per 1000.

Kirby.

I also use hard cast lead bullets through my Glock 27. I have shot many 10's of thousands through the original Glock barrel with regular cleaning to ensure no lead build up.

I use standard bore solvent and a bore-snake every 500 rounds and the Outers Foul Out electro-chemical bore cleaner about every 2000 just to be sure....and I typically find very little lead build-up when I pull out the Foul-Out rod....

Clean well and shoot with confidence!

Back when I still had a glock and shooting lead (also for economic reasons) I found a very good material to clean the bore. It's those curly thingies you can buy off in grocery stores that are used to clean pots and pans. Buy the fine ones not the thick curly ones. Snip off a tiny bit that fits the bore, attach to your jag and it only takes everal passes to the remove the lead. ;)