Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best budget shell stripper/caddy?

Jin

I went with the choate 6 because of budget and the fact that I have a hard time with picking up 4 shells. After a couple of seasons and some practice time these are starting to get rough and slower to load and unload. I'm thinking of going metal from now on and will probably slowly start replacing mine with otto's since the man mountain ones don't come in 6, as my budget allows.

I haven't tried the CCW ones so I can't say anything about them.

The key thing here, for me, is budget. I'm a complete novice at 3-gun and don't know if I want strippers or 3-Gun-Gear belt carriers, and if I do want strippers do I want 4 or 6, etc... At this point I would rather buy four cheap things to try out than two expensive things.

One thing that is definitely not clear about the lower priced options is how they hold the shells in place. It almost looks as if it's gravity alone.

after much deliberation i ended up ordering a couple 6 rounder choates. i am also brand spanking new at this, and just want to be able to load weak hand at an entry level price. something else that came to mind is that i want to have the shell strippers positioned near the front of my body, and if they were made out of metal, they would mark up my rifle/shotgun because i like to run a 2 point sling.

Jin, a little thread drift, except at some outlaw "tactical" matches I don't know about, slings are MUCH more trouble than they are worth. Have to remember, you will be dumping or picking up a long gun before going to the next gun, so peeling off a sling just eats time. Good choice on the Choates for starters. I just ordered another from Midway.

OPENB,

I hear you; i shot my first multigun with slings when they were not mandetory. on the shotgun stage i think i accidentally grabbed it while reloading, and it ended up blocking my way to the loading port. my slings are comming off unless the match director has specific scenarios; and i think he does run them at times.

i should get the choates from midway this week, which will give me a couple weeks to practice prior to the next 3 gun meet.

thanks all for the input. i am glad i went with the choates, they seem great upon intial impression. there is some play between the walls and the top/bottom of the shells i am using and i can see how velcro would help tighten the gap. but i was jumping up and down and didn't have any issues. i think short of a backflip, i should be ok...heh.

I also picked up one of those $5 web work belts from home depot and replaced the buckle from some that wallmart sells for 68 cents. i did that because the walmart buckles have a more positive locking feel to them.

but, i will be testing out the rig i have below in the next 3 gun match. the choates have a metal belt plate screwed in with some coarse screws. it would be super easy to attach some tek loks to them in the same fashion.

belt_2070.jpg