Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best budget shell stripper/caddy?

Jin

hello; shot my first 3 gun match a couple weeks ago, and loved it. looking for a couple 6 round speed strippers now, but I'm on a budget. debating between choate and california comp works, and would appreciate some advice!

from what i have read so far, CCW better adapts to different manufacturers of 2 3/4 shells; as some slugs are a bit tight in the choate stripper?

But i was considering the choate because i'm a skinnier dude...and thought the slimmer choate would better suit since i don't plan on shooting 3 inch shells?

Thanks!

I've got both. They are both nice. The spacer in the CCW helps hold stuff in a little better and the choate are nice because with that extra room, the shells come out VERY easy. That said, if I had it to do all over again I would have skipped over both of those and went with a great product. Progressive Machine's were very nice. I love Mark Otto's. They are adjustable for different length shells and the tension to hold the shells in is simple as could be to adjust. They are a little pricier, but well worth the money. He has some made from polymer also but the aluiminum ones are frickin awesome.

J-Ho

oh wow, i wish i didn't see otto's caddie. they look super nice; and i am a fan of the tek loc system.

I'm trying to operate on the cheap though...just had my 1st daughter; which should explain the $$ situation...heh. thanks for the info!

Edited by Flexmoney
to remove super huge picture (please resize).

And now....for the 'ole indian trick' for Choate caddies.

I line the inside rails with the soft side of velco to keep the shells from bouncing around....and out of the caddie. I've also lined one end as well on one of mine.

Tim

oh wow, i wish i didn't see otto's caddie. they look super nice; and i am a fan of the tek loc system.

I'm trying to operate on the cheap though...just had my 1st daughter; which should explain the $$$ situation...heh. thanks for the info!

Yeah, those look great. I have the Man Mountain Engineering ones and they're awesome!

Don't click here either unless you want to torture yourself some more! :)

http://www.manmountainengineering.com/

I'm thinking of getting a couple Choate's for now till I figure out what I'm going to do. I'm pretty sure that it's going to be a long while before I ever master grabbing 4 shells at once, so the decision is whether to start with the 4's and grab 2 at a time or start with the 6's and try doing 3 at a time.

The only thing that I don't like the look of on the 6's is that they appear to stick up above the belt quite a bit which will conflict with a portion of my anatomy that shows no signs of going away unless I stop eating all together.

If you plan on eventually going with the 4's then I would recommend skipping the 6's altogether and going straight to the 4 round caddies. You will only learn by practicing and you might as well start practicing sooner rather than latter. Then you will also have the benefit of not having 6 round cadies taking up valuable room on your shelf when you do go to the 4 round holders (like me).

Good Luck!

I'm thinking of getting a couple Choate's for now till I figure out what I'm going to do. I'm pretty sure that it's going to be a long while before I ever master grabbing 4 shells at once, so the decision is whether to start with the 4's and grab 2 at a time or start with the 6's and try doing 3 at a time.

The only thing that I don't like the look of on the 6's is that they appear to stick up above the belt quite a bit which will conflict with a portion of my anatomy that shows no signs of going away unless I stop eating all together.

Ah, the old Tactical Tummy....I'm in the same situation. I copied several of my shooting buddies and purchased an inexpensive 2" web style belt ($5 at Lowes or HD). Then I wear it above my pistol belt with all my shell caddies on it. This way they ride higher on the Tactical Tummy rather than poke into it. Plus you can take it off for stages that don't require shotgun. :cheers:

I copied several of my shooting buddies and purchased an inexpensive 2" web style belt ($5 at Lowes or HD). Then I wear it above my pistol belt with all my shell caddies on it. This way they ride higher on the Tactical Tummy rather than poke into it. Plus you can take it off for stages that don't require shotgun.

Hhhmmm...

I copied several of my shooting buddies and purchased an inexpensive 2" web style belt ($5 at Lowes or HD). Then I wear it above my pistol belt with all my shell caddies on it. This way they ride higher on the Tactical Tummy rather than poke into it. Plus you can take it off for stages that don't require shotgun.

Hhhmmm...

I should also add that I wear the buckle of the belt to the rear. I have two 6'ers and three 4'ers on mine. For the $5 it will cost you for the belt it's worth a try to see if it works for you. ;)

Holsters plus in Idaho makes a good Kydex 4 shell holder too. http://www.holstersplus.com/

They are not listed on the webpage. You must ask to have them built. They are a copy of Shawn Carlocks Dad's design that I wish I had bought more of back in the day. The Carlock's are now too busy building long range hunting gun's to mess with the specialized 3 gun stuff.

Just add a bladetech clip to these to make it easy to get on and off the belt.

Carl

Holsters plus in Idaho makes a good Kydex 4 shell holder too. http://www.holstersplus.com/

They are not listed on the webpage. You must ask to have them built. They are a copy of Shawn Carlocks Dad's design that I wish I had bought more of back in the day. The Carlock's are now too busy building long range hunting gun's to mess with the specialized 3 gun stuff.

Just add a bladetech clip to these to make it easy to get on and off the belt.

Carl

Those actually look pretty nice. same price range as the CCW brand

Ah, the old Tactical Tummy....I'm in the same situation. I copied several of my shooting buddies and purchased an inexpensive 2" web style belt ($5 at Lowes or HD). Then I wear it above my pistol belt with all my shell caddies on it. This way they ride higher on the Tactical Tummy rather than poke into it. Plus you can take it off for stages that don't require shotgun. :cheers:

bunsen27,

thanks for letting us know; I was also looking for an over the belt type of belt. $5 is alot less than i was planning on spending..heh.

i was planning on going with the choate 6 rounders; on their website it says they will accommodate up to 1 3/4 belt...i wonder if the home depot belt will scrunch up a tad to work with it? i guess i will wait until i get the choates in this week and then bring em along with me to look for belts.

I use the Choate's, but I drilled holes in the steel belt loop, and mounted tec loks on them. Easier on and off between stages, and it gets it out from my gut a little, so they don't tilt out. With tec loks, there is a slider so you can use any size belt you want. I would highly recommend a CR or Double Alpha belt. With all the gear we use in 3gun, the others are just not rigid enough. Even the Safariland is not rigid enough.

The key thing here, for me, is budget. I'm a complete novice at 3-gun and don't know if I want strippers or 3-Gun-Gear belt carriers, and if I do want strippers do I want 4 or 6, etc... At this point I would rather buy four cheap things to try out than two expensive things.

One thing that is definitely not clear about the lower priced options is how they hold the shells in place. It almost looks as if it's gravity alone.

the chaote and ccw have to little spring wires at the top after you take a shell out it is pretty much just gravity/wieght holding them in if you dont need the inserts for differnt shell sizes save a couple bucks over the ccw and get th choates

im like you and just getting into it so mine are on a shotgun shell belt i got a long time ago so i have 3 6rnd shell holders plus the shells in the belt the belt is a little flimsy and scrunches a little in the belt loops but my tactical tummy holds them tight

the chaote and ccw have to little spring wires at the top after you take a shell out it is pretty much just gravity/wieght holding them in if you dont need the inserts for differnt shell sizes save a couple bucks over the ccw and get th choates

im like you and just getting into it so mine are on a shotgun shell belt i got a long time ago so i have 3 6rnd shell holders plus the shells in the belt the belt is a little flimsy and scrunches a little in the belt loops but my tactical tummy holds them tight