Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Premature slide lock back

Vinogeek

I was shooting a match yesterday and during a stage my slide locked back even though I still had rounds in the magazine. I didn't notice anything unusual about the round when it went off, it knocked the popper down. I also didn't "feel" anything unusual. Any suggestions for things to check out? Here are my details.

New G35 approximately 400 rounds through it. New glock factory 15 round .40 mag. Federal Champion 180gr .40 ammo.

Thanks for the suggestions...

I was shooting a match yesterday and during a stage my slide locked back even though I still had rounds in the magazine. I didn't notice anything unusual about the round when it went off, it knocked the popper down. I also didn't "feel" anything unusual. Any suggestions for things to check out? Here are my details.

I did this numerous times when I went from a Model 17 to a 34....drove myself nuts, with powder measuring, OAL...blah blah blah. It was simple, I was pushing it up, there was no jam or malfunction. I have had to adjust my grip and pressure a little, but it was all me causing it.

Glock extended slide release = premature lockback is pretty axiomatic if you're using a high, straight thumbs grip. Dump the extended unit and replace it with the small slide stop off a Glock 22, your problem will go away.

+1

It's funny how such a slight difference can cause a problem, but it sure does. It would make more sense if the extended version was significantly larger, but I guess it doesn't have to make sense...lol. R,

It makes sense. The Glock slide stop is located far enough to the rear on the frame that, if it extends out from the side of the gun much at all, which the extended unit does, the heel of the hand, with a high grip, can push up on the slide stop causing premature lockback. The low profile slide stop by contrast is very flat to the side of the gun, so that doesn't happen.

Times I have seen this happen are:

1. Shooter thumb hits it ( as mentioned above)

2. Slide stop installed incorrectly (wire on top of the locking block pin insted of underneath)

3. Wrong slide stop installed (An extended 34/35 slide stop will cause premature lockback in a G36)

Since it only happened once, I agree it was probably your thumb.

+1 to all of the above wisdom.

I made it through 10+ months with my 34 before I started having the issue, but mine was the opposite. My grip hit the slide stop preventing the slide from locking back. I had replaced all of my slide stops on other Glocks with extended ones. Now I'm waiting for a convenient GSSF match to get them all changed back over to the small ones. (Have to love the free replacements :surprise: )

I thought I was having mag issues until my hat cam video showed how my grip has evolved over time and how my right hand thumb is right at/on/touching the extend nub of the slide stop.

could very well be the slide release lever is installed incorretly. The wire nubbin of the slide release lever must be under the locking block pin to provide tension. Best way to do this is to install the locking block pin first, then insert the slide release lever (thus making sure wire nubbin is under LB Pin), then insert the trigger pin.

If the wire nubbin is above the locking block pin and there is no downward tension the slide release lever can bounce up and down with recoil and intermitently lock the slide back.

Not nessasarily. If there is no downward tension from the wire nubin of the slide release lever because it is over the locking block instead of under, the slide release lever will sit in the down position. If you rack the slide keeping the muzzle horizontal it would not lock the slide back. When you fire the pistol the lever would bounce up and down but it will not always catch thus it would be intermittent.

If somehow having the wire nubbin above the locking block created upward tension it would lock the slide back every time. As designed that will not be the case.

Edited by Yar1180

Not nessasarily. If there is no downward tension from the wire nubin of the slide release lever because it is over the locking block instead of under, the slide release lever will sit in the down position. If you rack the slide keeping the muzzle horizontal it would not lock the slide back. When you fire the pistol the lever would bounce up and down but it will not always catch thus it would be intermittent.

If somehow having the wire nubbin above the locking block created upward tension it would lock the slide back every time. As designed that will not be the case.

This has been my experience as well. I have seen and repaired several slide stops with a broken spring wire, allowing the stop to bounce up and down. The lock-back IS intermittent, but I doubt he would have gotten through the match with it only happening once. Most likely, for a righty shooter, he pushed it up with the heel/thumb of his weak hand

To the OP: when you take your gun apart, pull up slightly on the slide stop and make sure it still has spring tension and snaps back to the frame. If it does, and is installed correctly with the spring under the locking block pin.... you bumped it.

Edited by dsmw5142

I agree that you probably touched the extended slide release. This is why some shooters change it out to the standard unit.

Good advice. I think you'll find that MOST here have tried the extended SSL and eventually dumped it for the factory standard.