Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ion Bond or Melonite Cylinder?

sprout

I have a S&W Model 15-2 I bought used with a lot of holster wear but a great trigger. I'm thinking of using it as a game gun, but I would like a stronger finish on the cylinder that would also be easier to clean (I love using lead away cloths). At a recent match, I saw two guns with Ion Bond finishes from Springer Precision, and they looked beautiful. I was thinking of seeing if Springer would Ion Bond the 15 cylinder. I understand that Ion Bond is what S&W uses on the M&P340 cylinder, so it would seem an appropriate application. Would you guys do the whole cylinder assembly, or just the cylinder itself? Would Melonite be better (I think S&W used Melonite on a run of black 686s)? Anyone tried either? Thanks for all the help.

Edited by sprout

The Melonite is what smith used on the 627-4 38 super cylinders and that stuff is tough as nails. i get after it with stainless and bronz brushes and it shows ZERO wear. only places its worn at all is the cylinder stops, but i beat the crap out of the gun. i am goint to send my model 19 cyl out for melonite if its not to crazy $$$. if you get a price on the ion bond, let us konw. i am sure it would work also.

Scott

Anyone have experience with Birdsong's Black-T coating? It's another option.

Is that what the older 629 Hunters were plated in the green and black? That finish came off really easy.

I just got my whole 646 ion bonded in a satin black diamond finish, i got it back today. The gun looks really good in black. I put it back together and started to dry fire and practice my reloads. When i was done i looked at the gun to see how the finish was holding up, there where marks all over the side of the frame where the brass hits the frame when i throw my moonclips in. I tried to get the marks off but i couldn't. Some of the finish is also starting to come off around my firing pin bushing.

I did not get to shoot live rounds out of the gun yet,maybe when i do it will blow the finish off the gun.

I could be wrong, as I often am. I would think the only finish that would truly ever stay on a wheel with so many roughly used parts would have to be something like TiNi (physical vapor deposition type application) or a black oxide, something like a Glock or HK slide has. I am stretching, but I think it is called MIL-C-13924 Class 4 can be applied to stainless and most corrosion resistant steels with chromium. Often very cheap and most places will dip in a batch with other things assuming you send something that just looks like a box of parts. This process is done at a higher temp than regular blue and forms a bond without changing dimensions of the the source material. What it does for any hardening or temper I don't know. I know a lot of the Ti, stainless and S100 Al parts we used to get done help up well. Just another idea to kick around I guess.

Lee

the melonite is the finish on the m&p's also, its very tough and holds up well. it can be applied to revolver parts with no problem. i spoke with Jim Rae a while back about getting some parts and cylinder done in it. i think smith may do it in house now. maybe call them and see if they can give you a price on it. hard chrome finishes hold up well on revos also, they can be made in satin, and bright finishes.

Edited by scottyinAZ

Before he blew it up, Cliff had his 625PC Ion Bonded, and very quickly a good-sized piece of the finish flaked off the side. Frankly, I'm less than impressed with Ion Bond, particularly considering the high cost.

I just got my whole 646 ion bonded in a satin black diamond finish, i got it back today. The gun looks really good in black. I put it back together and started to dry fire and practice my reloads. When i was done i looked at the gun to see how the finish was holding up, there where marks all over the side of the frame where the brass hits the frame when i throw my moonclips in. I tried to get the marks off but i couldn't. Some of the finish is also starting to come off around my firing pin bushing.

I did not get to shoot live rounds out of the gun yet,maybe when i do it will blow the finish off the gun.

Thanks everybody. I checked with Springer, and he said doing the cylinder would be $40, which seems pretty reasonable. However, given some of the problems people have had, I may check with S&W or Burlington Engineering (www.burlingtoneng.com) about Melonite.

Big thanks,

Dave

Edited by sprout