Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SLP Mk1 and SX2 Practical owners, get in here!

strat81

I'm considering the purchase of an SLP Mk1 or SX2 Practical. What's holding me back are the sights. How does the fiber optic/rear flip/cantilever system work for you? Is it as fast as a traditional vent rib set up? I hear the rear flip is very nice for those 50-100 yard slug targets.

When I started shopping for a replacement for my 870, I was pretty sure I wanted a vent rib. It's what I use now with a Hi-Viz fiber optic 'bead', and I like it. If it do my part, it works. It's faster than the rifle sighted 870s I've tried.

I have a lead on a regular SX2 and a Mk1. The SX2 has the vent rib and is cheaper by about $75. Is the sight arrangement on the Mk1 worth it? I have no intentions of adding optics.

Thanks in advance!

ETA: I am a novice to the sport. I'll spare you the list of excuses of why I'll never win, but suffice it so say cyclic speed of the action will not be one of them (i.e., the speed of a Benelli versus a Winchester is a non-issue for me). My greatest impediment is my reloading speed, followed by my propensity to miss. ;)

Edited by strat81

For the guys running the SLP MKI's and SX2 Practicals....they seem to be switching over to the 24" vent rib barrel. The straight contour barrel with the cantilever is heavy. To the tune of 12 ounces heavier than the vent rib barrel.

I definitely prefer the vent rib barrel with a 10/22 sight dovetailed into the rib for those precision slug shots out to 125 yards.

Get the best of both worlds.....a vent rib barrel with a flip up sight.

I'm happy with my SLP Mk 1 with the stock barrel. I leave the flip up sight down for the majority of shots and just line up the front sight in the groove in the cantilever rail.

Edited by Pro2AInPA

I'm happy with my SLP Mk 1 with the stock barrel. I leave the flip up sight down for the majority of shots and just line up the front sight in the groove in the cantilever rail.

Is it as fast as a traditional vent rib?

For those adding a rear flip to the vent rib barrels, how much should I expect to pay to have that done? My Dremel-fu is not cut out for that level of work.

Thanks for all the replies!

For me it was considerably slower than a vent rib bbl.(on stationary targets)

It was down right terrible for arial targets and movers.

I'm also needing a new shotgun. I had my mind made up on the SLP Mark 1, but I do like a vent rib better than the stock barrel.

Where are 24" vent rib barrels available for the SLP?

Gunbroker has vent rib barrel listings for the SLP, but I didn't see any in 24". A gunsmith can chop, thread, and bead a longer barrel.

That said, the replacement barrels are pricey. Figure another $100-$150 for the barrel work. It might be cheaper to get an SX2 or SX3 and cut that barrel instead. There are plenty of SX2 bird guns around.

I agree with Todd. 24" vr with a flip up. Call FN-USA and they should be able to tell you how to lay your hands on one. Any gunsmith worth the title can cut the dovetail for the 10-22 sight. Parts and labor should be $75 or less. Be sure to explain that with the sight flipped down it should be flush with the top of the rib- gives a much cleaner sight picture when using shot. Buy an extended LM choke from Carlson's, Briley or some such and you will be outfitted as well as anyone as far as shotgun barrels go. Also, if all you can find is a 26" don't fret over it too much. Two inches of barrel is rarely, if ever, a problem. Most of us like the 21-24 inch barrels mostly for CDI factor anyway. Good luck.

For those adding a rear flip to the vent rib barrels, how much should I expect to pay to have that done? My Dremel-fu is not cut out for that level of work.

I'm no slower with this gun that I was with a vent ribbed 11-87. YMMV.

Where are 24" vent rib barrels available for the SLP?

Arizona Gun Runners orders FN accessories. I've gotten some extended chokes from them. I believe the pictures of the barrels are a little off, but they look like they carry most of tthem.

AGR link

Edited by TimMTP

I am running a SX2 with a 26inch vent rib barrel with no issues it runs great. I am running a clamp on set of turkey sights that work just fine for slugs.

I think I gave 500 bucks for it and installed the extended tube and sights.

For what its worth I cut off my cantaliever on my SX2 which I made the mistake of selling to the Purple One. I liked it much better that way. The cantaliever seemed to clutter the sight pic.

Had a toolmaker hack it off with a cut off wheel and then put it in a lathe to turn it down smooth.

Wish Id hung on to that one.

Well, I took the dive and won an SX2 28" on Gunbroker. $450 was hard to pass up.

I'll run it with the standard barrel for a while until I get the $$$ rounded up to hack the barrel.

Any thoughts on what to do with the gun when I receive it as far as cleaning and maintenance? Is it worth it to soak the piston and bolt in solvent? I haven't downloaded the manual yet. Oil, grease, both? I've read they like to be run wet.