Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

dawson tuned magazines

spursguy10

Rencetly I bought 3 dawson tuned magazines and was wondering about the longevity of the magazines. I know that most mags last just about forever if springs are kept up or replaced.

I was wondering if the tuned mags with the modified lips, do they stay tuned over time or do they require adjustments as the years go on?

Furthermore, any additional advicee reguarding the dawson mags would be appreciated!

Thanks!

My suggestion is to mic the feed lips when fresh from a tuner and make notes. Every so often recheck the lips and make sure they are still close to that number. If they aren't, time for some retuning. I made a mandrel that fits inside my magazines and I use a light brass hammer to "nudge" the lips when needed.

Joe W.

I bought a couple of Dawson tuned mags and I'm not really happy that I did. The one (140mm .40 mag) barely holds 17rds with a Dawson +1 pad. They run fine, but so do stock tubes in my guns. Any tube, tuned or not, can get whacked around enough to need some work...no way to predict how long that will take. Best bet is to have a couple of practice mags and some match only mags. R,

I'm the guy that doesn't believe in tuned mags. I believe in properly built guns.

With that said, when I bought my first STI several years ago, it came with a couple of dawson mags. They DEFINITELY were not tuned for capacity. As G-man pointed out, they're good for about 17-18 rounds with their followers and a STD +1 pads.... so I replaced the guts with Grams and now get a reloadable 19.

They have collectively about 30kish rounds thru them, countless matches, and plenty of smacks into the dirt and they still run fine. But getting back to my first statement -- my other untuned mags run fine too. I haven't had any crack the feedlips yet.

I'm the guy that doesn't believe in tuned mags. I believe in properly built guns.

With that said, when I bought my first STI several years ago, it came with a couple of dawson mags. They DEFINITELY were not tuned for capacity. As G-man pointed out, they're good for about 17-18 rounds with their followers and a STD +1 pads.... so I replaced the guts with Grams and now get a reloadable 19.

They have collectively about 30kish rounds thru them, countless matches, and plenty of smacks into the dirt and they still run fine. But getting back to my first statement -- my other untuned mags run fine too. I haven't had any crack the feedlips yet.

My one "bad" one barely gets 17 WITH a Grams spring and follower and +1 pad. It's so tight I normally only put 16 in it and it's my Barney mag :surprise:

Mine have the SNL basepads, Im not sure if they work everywhere, but they seem okay. Once i trim the mag spring a bit, they do carry 20, one even carries 21! Im pretty impressed with the results. I am sorry to hear that some of you did not have the same results. I just hope they hold up, at 119 a pop, I cant really afford practice and match mags to be different!

First, I use only SV mags not STI. Their quality is superior. In five years Beven Gram has worked on the feed lips once. I use his followers and springs. I have some Dawson and Grams followers. They all get 19 rounds with ease. A couple get twenty rounds. I have two mags that get 21 rounds.

If the lips get banged pretty heavily then they need re-adjustment. For the most part you can do the adjustments yourself with a good pair of appropriate vise-grips. Just remember the initial measurements. Change the springs once every other year or so.

I tuned all my own mags, most are C Sharp but one D Flat I need to work on. :roflol: Actually, four 170mm STI tubes, Grams spring and follower, Dawson +1 SNL pads with a little tweeking on the springs and all run 100% with 29 rounds. I check the feed lips every few months and keep them beat into submission with a little brass hammer and a mic to make sure they are where they need to be.

Joe W.

Seriously, I'd put them in the gun and run them. I can't say they'll NEVER give you any trouble, but again... I have a few, plus at least a dozen factory SV and STI tubes and they ALL run. I am of the believe that if the gun is right, the mags aren't as critical.

Since these mags are new, how would you guys suggest I measure and keep the mags tuned? Should I make some sort of mold?

Thanks!

I just bought the Dawson mag tuning kit with DVD. What prompted me was my gunsmiths POV on my mags that were out of spec. He tuned them and it made a corrective change. IMO the mags are a critical part of a functioning well built firearm.

Carl,

I bought my first Limited gun (used)in 2001 and it came with 3 Dawson tuned mags. I use ISMI springs,

SV competition followers and Dawson +1 base pads. The springs and followers have been in these mags

since Feb 2005 and the base pads were on them when purchased and they are still working fine. The mags,

especially my #1 mag is really beat up. We shoot indoors year round with concrete floors. One of the

mags holds 20 rds and the other 2 hold 19 rds. I've had to adjust the feed lips a couple of times

but otherwise they have worked fine. The tip on measuring the feed lips and writing it down is great

advise. I would guess these mags have well over 100,000 rds through them. Now are they like this

because Dawson turned them; your guess is as good as mine.

Sparky

• 2 weeks later...

Carl,

I bought my first Limited gun (used)in 2001 and it came with 3 Dawson tuned mags. I use ISMI springs,

SV competition followers and Dawson +1 base pads. The springs and followers have been in these mags

since Feb 2005 and the base pads were on them when purchased and they are still working fine. The mags,

especially my #1 mag is really beat up. We shoot indoors year round with concrete floors. One of the

mags holds 20 rds and the other 2 hold 19 rds. I've had to adjust the feed lips a couple of times

but otherwise they have worked fine. The tip on measuring the feed lips and writing it down is great

advise. I would guess these mags have well over 100,000 rds through them. Now are they like this

because Dawson turned them; your guess is as good as mine.

Sparky

Sparky,

Thanks for the words of wisdom! I'm glad to hear that these mags are pretty good in harsh enviroments! I will take the specs down and try to keep them at status quo!

Thanks