Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How to re-ignite my motivation?

Dan-O-Mite

In 2 weeks I will shoot at the Canadian IPSC Nationals. Over the last 4 years I have worked my way in Standard Division from 30th (my first Nationals) to 16th last year (my 3rd Nationals). After last years match I told myself, and many others, that my sights were set on Top 10 for this year. I've had quite a bit of time to practice this year, and the last 3 months I have stuck pretty close to my schedule for live fire and dry fire practice. Everything has been progressing well. A month ago, I won a local match by 15%, the largest margin of victory I've ever had in these parts. I was convinced everything was coming together. Then my gun broke, slide cracked. :surprise: No others like it in the country right now. Had to buy another version of the gun, not liking it as much. Came in second at the next 2 matches.

I now seem to be in a bit of a depressed/frustrated/fu@k it state of mind. I realize that part of it might be from all the practice, a little burned out. The gun that broke was only 4 months old, but it just fit me. The balance was about perfect, the sights just lined up all by themselves. I only shot 2 matches with it, but both were clean, no Mike's or PT's, the first 2 matches of my life like that. The 2 matches with the new gun, a couple Mike's returned. The difference between the guns, one has a lightened slide the other does not.

Now, how to get my head back in the game, stay focused, and do my best? I know that if I think about results or not reaching my goals, I won't be at my best. I do have one more match this weekend before the Nationals. I plan to keep my thoughts on fundamentals, grip, sight alignment, being smooth. However, I find I don't have the calmness/confidence of mind that I had just a month ago.

Other then telling myself to "just do my best and have fun", anything else I can do to increase my motivation to do well? In the past, when I'm motivated to do well, I do.

Take time to read BE's book, Beyond Fundamentals. I think it addresses exactly what you are stating your needs as being in that "understanding" calms the mind and helps you get to the mental state you need to be at.....

From your opening paragraph - your goals are results, and your dry and live fire training is a means to reach the end - a certain placement. We can also see that you are very serious about reaching your goal (result). That creates a stressful mental environment.

Then you say:

I know that if I think about results or not reaching my goals, I won't be at my best.

... But I wondering if you really know that?

My suggestion would be to forget about results. Every time you catch yourself thinking about your where you might finish, let it go.

Change your goal to one of steadily improving your skills. That is something you can do, as you have proved.

I'll end with one of my favorites from Bruce Lee:

"All goals apart from the means are illusions."

be

Thanks for all the advice guys. I know some of my best matches were ones where I was not focused on the end result, I had shooting goals in mind. The last couple days I really cut back on the practice, and I feel a little more positive. I've been thinking back to matches I did well at, and what was on my mind then. Usually it was to just shoot. Let all the subconscious knowledge do the work, while the conscious gives direction.

At this point my plan is to get in 3 or 4 days of practice over the next week and a half, really work on fundamentals. Then at match time, just shoot. Know what I want to do, visualize it, and do it. Not much more I can do then that.

Thanks again for letting me clear my head here a bit. You guys are great listeners. :bow:

Thanks for all the advice guys. I know some of my best matches were ones where I was not focused on the end result, I had shooting goals in mind. The last couple days I really cut back on the practice, and I feel a little more positive. I've been thinking back to matches I did well at, and what was on my mind then. Usually it was to just shoot. Let all the subconscious knowledge do the work, while the conscious gives direction.

At this point my plan is to get in 3 or 4 days of practice over the next week and a half, really work on fundamentals. Then at match time, just shoot. Know what I want to do, visualize it, and do it. Not much more I can do then that.

Well said. Just shoot. (Check out "just shoot" on that page.)

be

Well I just got back from the last local match before the Nationals. I'm glad I took those couple days off from shooting. I think it helped me to clear my head a bit. I did manage to shoot a couple stages about as well as I could hope, and won them. I did have one brain fart moment where I stepped over a fault line for 2 shots, ouch. Still came in with 83% for that stage, might have won it if I hadn't stepped over. All in all, not a terrible day, and I walked away as the Standard Winner by 8%.

A nice confidence booster right before the Nationals. I still have 8 or 9 days until I leave for the match, probably look to get in 2 or 3 more live practices. Again, just really working the fundamentals, then "just shoot" at match time. Thanks again for the advice guys. :cheers:

Just shoot is good advise. I hope I can remember it .next month

There is no noxt month. :)

All you have to do is remember to just shoot as you begin every stage, for the rest of your life.

be