Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

High primers / indented primers

CZinSC

I went to the bench to do some reloading tonight and things didn't go great. I had a few issues, nothing terrible, but since I'm still new, only about a month of reloading, I figured I'd seek the advice of BE crew.

I'm loading on a 550, using Winchester Small Pistol primers. Using once fired Win 9mm brass, tumbled and polished.

Sor first, I ended up with a few cases that have high primers. They didn't seat all the way. What do I do with them now? I'm hesitant to try and seat them further in case something prevented them from going all the way in, instead of me just short stroking (which i know i did a couple of times). For saftey sake, I'd prefer to just chuck them, instead of trying to save the minimal amount of money for several cases and primers. Do I just throw them in the trash? Is that safe? Or is there a method of safely removing the primer?

Second, on a couple I know I didn't push all the way forward, just short stroked it. So chalk it up to operator error. However, on a couple of others, I knew right away it didn't feel right, like it didn't seat properly, but I thought I pushed far enough. After having 4 out of 100, I called it a night and put the 550 to bed. Is there something else I should be looking for that may be causing this, other than short stroking it? (I checked and made sure there weren't any spent primers laying on the press preventing the primer feeder from moving all the way forward)

DSC01386.jpg

The next question is about something I've noticed lately while I put the completed rounds in the ammo box. While looking for high primers, making sure there are no obvious OAL issues (I do use the caliper every 20 or so while making them), but one last look can't hurt. Anyway, I see that some of the primers have a very slight indent. Nothing major, but enough to notice. Is this normal, or am I seating them too hard? I push the handle forward until it stops, and I don't think I'm forcing it. I use a smooth motion and never drop the handle forward. The picture really exaggerates some of the rounds. They don't look that bad. But to get an idea, look at the very bottom left one. Does that look normal?

DSC01391.jpg

You are short stroking the press. What I would do is pull the bullet, re-seat the primer, and re-load the bullet. If you don't have a bullet puller, put them aside till you get one (Might as well order one, you're gonna need it).

The dents in the primer are normal. This is caused by you trying NOT to have high primers (or maybe something on the primer ram). You will get the feel of the primer seating in a few thousand rounds, just remember to push that handle all the way forward to seat the primer...you don't have to crush it in, but some force is necessary. Another thing, with primers that high, I'm suprised the shellplate even turned.....You might want to tighten it up, till it won't turn, then back off just a smidge.

The ones in the 1st pics, I'd put back in the press and seat them. Pull the handle slightly back, to raise the shellplate, insert the case, then push the handle forward and seat the primer.

Look on the primer slide bar, sometimes a spent primer will get either in front of or behind it, and stop the primer bar from going all the way forward. They are usually in the back, kind of hard to see.

You are short stroking the press. What I would do is pull the bullet, re-seat the primer, and re-load the bullet. If you don't have a bullet puller, put them aside till you get one (Might as well order one, you're gonna need it).

Yes, I have one. Luckily I knew the primers were high and didn't drop powder or seat the bullet.

The dents in the primer are normal. This is caused by you trying NOT to have high primers (or maybe something on the primer ram). You will get the feel of the primer seating in a few thousand rounds, just remember to push that handle all the way forward to seat the primer...you don't have to crush it in, but some force is necessary. Another thing, with primers that high, I'm suprised the shellplate even turned.....You might want to tighten it up, till it won't turn, then back off just a smidge.

Makes me feel better that this is normal. And no, the shellplate wouldn't turn. I had to wiggle a few out. I had one last week so high that i had to remove the shellplate.

The ones in the 1st pics, I'd put back in the press and seat them. Pull the handle slightly back, to raise the shellplate, insert the case, then push the handle forward and seat the primer.

My question on this is, is it safe? Is there a chance the primer could go off if its forced and won't go? I'd rather throw it away than risk a primer going off.

Look on the primer slide bar, sometimes a spent primer will get either in front of or behind it, and stop the primer bar from going all the way forward. They are usually in the back, kind of hard to see.

That was one of the first things I looked for, but thanks for mentioning it anyway. I had an issue with the spent primer chute sticking open, so after reading about that issue on the forums elsewhere, I replaced the cotter pin with a paperclip bent on both ends. Now the chute doesn't stick at all and the spent primers are going where they should.

I've never had one "go off". If they were go, they would go when you tried to seat them the first time. Another thing get some very high quality oil, and where the handle goes into the ram, you'll notice a couple of pin holes. Oil thos those pin holes, it will make feeling the primers seat easier, and make the press operate smoother. Like I said, you don't have to crush them in. Another thing check the spring on the rod that goes up to the powder measure. With the handle in a nuetral position, it should be compressed just a little. Too much and it won't "give" when you try and seat the primer.

Edited by GrumpyOne

I edited my last post, so read it again. And, No problem! I had all the same issues when I started loading, but didn't know this forum existed, so I figured them all out by trial and error.

Edited by GrumpyOne

You don't really have anything to worry about if you try to reseat those high primers. Obviously, you definitely should be wearing safety glasses or at very least prescription glasses with impact resistant lenses when reloading or even messing with ammo (I'll post a link as to why)....I didn't when I was younger, but trust me, it is absolutely necessary. When I've reseated primers I put them in the press by themselves (better yet, if you have a turret or single stage press for this) and simply turn my head when I seat them. R,

Edit to add the link about a round I dropped and had detonate:

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=56656&view=findpost&p=657023

Edited by G-ManBart

Another thing check the spring on the rod that goes up to the powder measure. With the handle in a nuetral position, it should be compressed just a little. Too much and it won't "give" when you try and seat the primer.

I think you just hit the nail on the head! I recently had to remove the rod, and I adjusted that nut/spring. I must have adjusted it back too tight.

Another thing check the spring on the rod that goes up to the powder measure. With the handle in a nuetral position, it should be compressed just a little. Too much and it won't "give" when you try and seat the primer.

I think you just hit the nail on the head! I recently had to remove the rod, and I adjusted that nut/spring. I must have adjusted it back too tight.

In the immortal words of Homer J. Simpson......DOH!

As a precaution, don't use an inertial bullet pullet with cartridges with high primers. There is a potential for the primer detonating if it should move forward under the impact.

One of the worst injuries I handled some years back when I handled customer problems was a primer cup embedded in a man's arm.

When re-seating or such, make certain you do not impact the primer - for obvious reasons we sometimes forget when working with the reloading press.

Eye protection should be mandatory while loading (and shooting) - and you may want to consider ear protection as well. Primers are surprisingly loud all by themselves.

Guy