Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Should I Notice A Difference?

10ring

During the last few years I've been shooting open class and using 115 gr Montana Gold CMJ bullets on top of a .38 Super case. Just for grins I decided to load up some ammo at the same power factor using a Remington 124 gr JHP bullet. I wanted to see if I could tell any difference.

Today I loaded up a mag by alternating 2 124 gr, then 2 115 gr loads. I couldn't tell any difference with felt recoil.

If any of you have tried this experiment, did you notice any difference?

- Todd

Funny you should bring this up ............. :rolleyes:

I just did a similar experiment with 40s. I've always shot 165's (Montana Gold FMJ's) but I realize that many LTD shooters use a 180. Probably more than 80% in fact. So I bought a case of 180s to try the same thing you just did. :)

So today we shot 4 stages, and were then told that stage 1 was supposed to start with the port in the starting wall CLOSED instead of open, and would therefore have to reshoot it. So I was close to running out of the allotment of 180's I had brought, so I dumped all my mags, and switched over to a few 165s I had brought with me. And after shooting the same stage with 2 different kinds of bullets (180s vs. 165s) I saw, and felt absolutely no difference. Or if there was any kind of difference in felt recoil, it was not noticeable at all.

So, I think the important thing is to find a bullet you like, one that is cheap & easily obtainable, and just shoot the snot out of it.

Accumulate practice hour by hour and day by day.

I couldn't tell any difference with felt recoil.

An expected difference might be better comp function. IF you fueled up a bit to make major with your 115gr load.

More rocket fuel = more exhaust...yes? Adding small amounts of bullet weight and subtracting small amounts of fuel won't

IMLO effect recoil perceptibly.

Hello: I am doing the same thing with Montana Gold 115 JHP's and there 121 IFP's. I do notice the recoil difference and seem to group the 115's better for some reason in my 9mm Open shorty. I also tried some 147 Precision Moly's and some 121 IFP's in my Glock. I shot the 121's faster but had better hits with the 147's :surprise: I guess it depends on the pistol and your personal preference. OR maybe it is what you are used to--no that couldn't be it :roflol: As they say pick a bullet and practice. Thanks, Eric

During the last few years I've been shooting open class (what's that? ;) ) and using 115 gr Montana Gold CMJ bullets on top of a .38 Super case. Just for grins I decided to load up some ammo at the same power factor using a Remington 124 gr JHP bullet. I wanted to see if I could tell any difference.

Today I loaded up a mag by alternating 2 124 gr, then 2 115 gr loads. I couldn't tell any difference with felt recoil.

If any of you have tried this experiment, did you notice any difference?

- Todd

Did you load the 124s to the same power factor? I certainly can see a difference in the dot tracking between a 124/5, 121 and 115 in my guns. It's not huge, but it's there. The big thing is whether one or the other works better for you on the timer. R,

I'm with G-man, at the same PF with an open gun lighter bullets more powder more gas in the comp etc the gun will exhibit new behavior. In a liminted gun I've shot everything from 220 down to 135gr, I could tell the differnce in each, I can tell the difference shooting jacketed vs moly bullets.

All open guns a different, I just got a email from someone that switched powders and then decided to shoot 147gr in his open gun claiming it was better, different strokes for different folks.

I'd say if you couldn't tell any difference your gun is sprung too high, too much recoil spring.