Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Target Stands

Dan Bone

pmd wrote:

In the picture of the stop plate with the sensor, that looks like way more than a 4 X 4 "shielding" the sensor. I'm thinking it's closer to a 6 X 6 and it looks like a hardwood like maybe from the scrap bin at a lumber mill or pallet factory.

<_< ... :unsure: See!...I told you the photo was doctored up :unsure:

OK! ...OK ! OK :blush: I was Wrong about the the 4x4 too! I was Wronggggg OK wrrrongA :P

I never noticed it before, but the timbers in front of the stop plates are larger than the ones on the other plates. See, we can both be right :D

Area1andSC2006_045.sized.jpg

The really funny thing is it's blatantly obvious in all my photos of the stages.

• 1 month later...

We just made a complete new set of stop plate equipment for Derek & Mike at the US Steel Shoot. He has the normal base for the stop plate with the 2x4 but the cap is a special part with a 6" overhang or gantry style, this allows for the 6x6 to be positioned under and behind the stop plate but in front of the stop plate post. Then we made a special base to hold the 6x6 wood to block off the actual stop plate assembly.

He postioned the 6x6 to catch any low shots, the stop plate electronic sensor was feeling the hits on the 2x4 and stopping the clock with a miss into the wood.

I think it is much easier to use the shot timer alone and forget about the sensor on the stop plate.

later, karl

I think it is much easier to use the shot timer alone and forget about the sensor on the stop plate.

later, karl

Me too. All that stop plate sensor stuff sound like hassle.

Stop plate is good 'cause you don't have to go cranking back the timer trying to figure out which hit actually hit it, and stopping the timer is prima-facie evidence that it did get hit, which minimizes arguments about "you hit that after the stop plate" or "did you even hit the stop plate?". Other than that, it's, well, traditional.

Shred does have a point, because at the SC the timer is backed up to the first hit on the stop plate. In that situation it is helpful to have the wired timer. But I have been shooting SC events since '92 and it is very rare to have a problem sorting out a stop plate hit.

All the extra work with 2 sets of equipment for the stop plate, the wire needs to be buried or shrouded from shrapnel. It is more likely that the wired sensor/timer set up will malfunction than a normal timer set up. I think in the early 90s they had a double timer setup, they were wired in tandem so if one timer had a problem they had a time displayed on the 2nd timer.

Then they had falling hinged stop plates, but that was a huge mistake.

But the S&W series matches wants to be managed in exactly the same manner as the big SC match. So wired timers are in for now.

see you in SC in a couple days, karl #@ GT

We simply don't back the timer up. The last shot fired (not a stop plate hit) is what stops the timer at our local SC match.

Kyle,

I know you are one for very clear concise rules so let me throw you a hypothetical:

If someone shoots Pendulum, for instance, straight across 1,2,S,3,4. What is the ruling under your rules?

The problem is usually 1-2-S-3-4-S .. "I didn't hit the stop plate the first time" if it's an edger or something. Most of the time, not a problem, but IMO, if you're going to have a stop plate it ought to, you know, stop things.

SC has a backup timer they can go to if the sensor doesn't work. They then add in (a slow) bullet flight time to correct for the difference.

With "normal" shooters its easy to score hits and when the stop plate is hit or not hit. But with a fast shooter it can be very difficult. In the pendulum thing most guys would not know what happened cuzz they would not /could not see to keep up with the fast shooter.

I think backing up the timer is only fair to a reasonable point. My club will back up the timer on one or two shots. If a shooter has a Temper fit :angry2: and blast more than two extra shots out or anger = the Shooter eats every shot on the clock

I have shooters of every level get an edge on the stop and I will back up the timer to give them the "proper score"

If a rule is not used for ever-one =its not a fair rule. I don't mind clubs that don't do it , I just want to know ahead of time that they are not using SC rules

Edited by AlamoShooter

The problem is usually 1-2-S-3-4-S .. "I didn't hit the stop plate the first time" if it's an edger or something.

That's never come up as a problem in the years that we've been doing it this way.

I'm not knocking the wired stop plate way. We've just never done it. It seems like more work. And, we havne't had any issues without it.

Timer stops on the last shot fired...scoring hits stop when the stop plate is hit...2 mikes. It's easy.

It is not uncommon to see two shots fired at the stop plate on Speed Option as a stage strategy. Does the scoring stop when the stop plate is hit the first time or when the last shot is fired? If the former is true as you stated above then you have to back the timer up to be consistent.

Timer stops on the last shot fired...scoring hits stop when the stop plate is hit...2 mikes. It's easy.

It is not uncommon to see two shots fired at the stop plate on Speed Option as a stage strategy. Does the scoring stop when the stop plate is hit the first time or when the last shot is fired? If the former is true as you stated above then you have to back the timer up to be consistent.

Tim,

What is the point of this strategy? I'm just beginning to even think about this SC stuff.

Tim,

What is the point of this strategy? I'm just beginning to even think about this SC stuff.

The point of the strategy (and it would be wierd if the best stage strategy for the exact same stage at the World Championships were different than, say, a local match), is that bullet flight time to (and sound return from) the 35-yard stop plate is significant. Sending an extra one down there right away for insurance means if for some reason the first shot misses (bullet with a bubble in it, you blinked, wind gust, whatever), you save the quarter second plus reaction-time that it would take for the bullet to bumble past the target and you to recognize the miss and respond.

For me, double-tapping the stop plate is generally a loser since I typically just fling two shots instead of one aimed one most of the time, but for some people it works very well.

Yeah...if the clock would stop on a plate impact, then it doesn't cost anything to fling an insurance round. In that setup, I could see whipping onto the target pretty hard and timing the release of the shot a bit early (before the gun really set), then knowing I'd follow that shot up with a solid insurance round.

I agree Roy, it would be weird...factoring in a bit of luck like that. :):)