Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glocks vs. M&P

Gunracer, I don't know which M&P armorer's school you went to, but the one I went to was one day-same as Glock school. Maybe you are thinking about the school for Smith & Wesson's 3rd Generation guns-5900/4500 series-was 4 1/2 days included factory tour that was a half day or so). May not matter to anyone, just checking in with what I have seen as far as armorer's classes.

I think an MP is probably a better match gun all around, but when faced with the same choice I bought the glock because of the inventory of accessories, parts being easy to change out, the reputation for reliability (the MP has had some teething issues documented here on Benos)

additionally you can get a .22 practice kit for a Glock and several types of airsoft guns that clone the glock for practice

(the MP has had some teething issues documented here on Benos)

Been there, done that!

additionally you can get a .22 practice kit for a Glock

Where? I have not seen any available for over a year.

http://feararmory.com/store/index.php?main_page=index&manufacturers_id=1&zenid=da1eedc4ba1d0bde9cb98175ed3f69bd

I bought mine a month ago on gun broker but it came from these folks.

MSRP is probably $250 as listed on the FEAR armory LLC website

I paid $300 and I was happy to get it

Tactical Solutions is also now making a .22lr upper for the Glock. They just released it this year. I haven't tried it myself but Tactical Solutions has a great reputation for fantastic products. The upper is VERY pricey at $450 though.

I love my Glocks. I just sold my M&P9 I bought for a steal to a friend for his son to start IDPA. While it was a reliable gun and I liked it well enough, I just couldn't see the point in switching triggers and/or learning a third. I'll stick to Glocks and occasionally 1911's.

I agree with the above 100%.... It's a Ford/Chevy debate. If possible, try before you buy; pick one, then shoot the hell out of it.

I shot a glock for a while and recently bought an M&P. I think the Glock was slightly faster shooting, but reloads are much faster on the M&P. The reason, for me, is the M&P has a grip angle more like my 1911 & 2011 guns. Your results may differ.

edit for clarity.

Edited by CenTX

I've never really liked the feel of glocks but given all the rave reviews about them, specifically the glock 34, I bought one. Didn't really care for it all that much at first but learned to love it. Now, I wouldn't shoot anything else. The next purchase will be a 35. While I agree with most of the statements about shooting a gun that "feels good to you" I would also add that you can get used to shooting almost any gun so long as it's not uncomfortable.

• 2 weeks later...

I have had my M&P for about a 1 1/2yrs.... I love it.

But it comes down to this in my opinion. Get whatever fits your hand.... M&P, Glock, XD's, CZ's etc..... all great guns. If you can somehow shoot them all, you will find the ones that fits you....

Couldn't agree more. I know guys (and ladies) that shoot both Glocks and M&P's in competition. I simply boils down to fit and finish, i.e. how it fits and how you finish!

• 3 weeks later...

Yup - shoot 'em all! I have both - Glk 17 & M&P fullsize. If aftermarket parts are not an issue (Glock has much more aftermarket available) I like the M&P better! Thousands of rounds through both, without any problems. What it comes down to is which fits your hand better. I'd just like to ad here that the 1911 trigger is the absolute best for competition (I'm sure some will disagree) but the single action, very short pull, clean break is hard to improve upon.

I know this is not much of an answer to your question, it's like which is better a ford or a chevy??

The fit to your hand is what should guide you. Good luck & remember you cannot practice 'too much'!