Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Can I easily change the M&P 9 pro ejection angle?

sierra77mk

Cases come right back into my face and often bounce harmlessly off the bill of my cap or will land on my head but it is annoying.

Can I change the angle of the ejector or modify the extractor easily so cases stop hitting me?

You can try, and the good thing is that a factory ejector is a cheap part. I'd remove a very, very small bit from the bottom of the ejector nose (when viewed from the side)....but I'd get a replacement first! R,

What is your load, and what recoil spring are you currently running? Changing those is easier and cheaper than getting the pressed-in extractor pin out.

After much worry, my extractor pin came out pretty easy. I took a punch and shortened it into a starter punch, put the slide in a machinists vise with plastic jaws, one whack with a mini-sledge and it was loose. R,

What is your load, and what recoil spring are you currently running? Changing those is easier and cheaper than getting the pressed-in extractor pin out.

A lighter spring... I thought of that just after I posted it.

I do have a "lighter than defensive" load but it shoots so danged well. I thought a touch here or there with a file or a long/short factory ejector option might do the trick but probably a one pound lighter spring would be fine. Factory spring if I recall is 17bs, correct?

Ask your local Glock shooters to borrow a 13 recoil spring. The 13lb ISMI (flat wire) spring for a Glock 34 is what I run with a 132pf 9mm and it runs great. $8 from one of the Glock places online, too.

The gun will shoot flatter with a lighter spring, so why not try for an improvement to the gun at the same time you work on ejection?

My 130gr load trickles out of a gun with a factory spring and doesnt lock open firing one-handed. Lighter spring fixed both. Cases are back to sailing 15ft over your shoulder.

What angle? How did ya do it? Photos?

I'll try to get some photos for you. When I got my M&P9L the brass was coming back and nailing me in the head. Almost straight back. The ejector is a stamped part and sometimes has burs on it that send the brass off at odd angles. If you can angle the ejector it should clear the issue. I'll see if my silly computer skills will let me post pictures.

• 3 weeks later...

What angle? How did ya do it? Photos?

I'll try to get some photos for you. When I got my M&P9L the brass was coming back and nailing me in the head. Almost straight back. The ejector is a stamped part and sometimes has burs on it that send the brass off at odd angles. If you can angle the ejector it should clear the issue. I'll see if my silly computer skills will let me post pictures.

Good to know as I have the same problem. Would be great to see photos if you have them.

I had 'dribbling brass' as well.

For the ejection issue I first made sure I had good spring tension and a clean extractor. It was a little gummy but nothing like what a Glock packs under it's extractor. I tried to punch out the pin but got a really good TING, indicating it wasn't going anywhere without a lot of force. Left it in place and wedged a .40 case in to open the extractor enough to get in there. It's cleaner than it was. I'm not taking the extractor out unless it's to replace it.

I pulled the striker out and ran some ammo through it by hand. Still didn't eject very positively. As soon as it starts to kick out it pops off early.

Now for the ejector tweak. I looked down the frame (slide off, viewed from the rear) and saw that the ejector was pointing very slightly away from the centerline. I took it out, put it in the vice and tapped it a bit with my ball/peen. Very scientific. I was able to move the tip of the ejector closer to the centerline, which would hit the case closer to the bottom, instead of the side. It didn't take much. If you try it, go easy.

What a difference. The brass to spits 2 feet out, just cycling it by hand. I'll clean the brass line off the slide and see if it reappears when I fire some ammo through it.

Word of caution, if you over do the ejector tweak the slide may not go back on. If this happens you tweaked the ejector WAY too much. I only moved the tip about .030" in-board.