Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.38 Special Flamethrower Load

jONESIE

So, I loaded up some .38 special ammo about a year ago and shot all but about 25. Finally shot up the last 25 through a friends light weight Charter Arms snubby that he won in a drawing (it is quite new). Surprisingly, the bullets looked more like tracers when fired, and every round left a bright rail of fire in their wake. After firing some rounds at the berm 60+ yards away it appears that the burning streak follows the bullet the whole way.

The load used was 4.8 grains HP-38 powder, 125gr Berry's plated truncated flat point bullet, 1.450" overall length, Magtech case with a minimal crimp.

I used the data from Hodgdon's website, and the rounds performed normally in every other respect. I didn't notice this performance from my revolver.

Any ideas as to what causes this effect? The same load, but with 125gr lead flat point bullets did not produce any flame trails.

Flame thrower bullets are the only thing that can make a plastic Charter Arms revolver look cool. B)

Any arsons out there looking to buy some ammo? :D

AzShooter, I really doubt the flames are being thrown 60+ yards downrange. It is almost as if the powder has adhered to the base of the bullet and is burning in flight. I didn't know or don't know if this is possible but what else can it be? Anyone got any other ideas?

Jonesie, did you try loading up some more and shooting it again through the same pistol? Since they have been sitting around so long, I wonder if that allowed the powder to bury into the base. A new batch should not display the same flame. Let us know if you can do this, thanks...

My buddy and myself had some berry's in 9 & 40 that both had the back of the bullets glowing going down range. I had mine over Power Pistol, but I'm not sure what was loaded in the .40. I've heard from other guys that they've notice their plated bullets having a glow (almost like a tracer).

• 2 weeks later...

Well I shot some newly loaded Berry's over 5.0 grains of HP-38 out of my 2.5" S&W model 19. There was no pronounced flame trails, but I think there was some glow for the first few yards. Usually I can not see a bullet's flight path at all, but my eyes were picking up a hint of something flying by. Perhaps I was just looking too hard.

The main differences between these loads are time between loading and firing, a .357 chamber vs a .38 special chamber, .5" more barrel length, .2 grains of powder, and a switch to Federal primers from Remington primers.

I have a feeling that it could be the primers, because I almost never use Remington primers.

I just got some Barry's .40 in, will load those up this week and head to the range. I'll post what I find with those. I will be using AA#5 and some Power Pistol, just curious to see if it's the bullet (being the common denominator). Thanks for the info Jonesie!

• 1 month later...

Hard to say. I had an experience with some 12 ga. loads once.....loaded with Red Dot and some CCI 209 primers, as I recall. Two boxes of that lot got pushed to the back of a shelf and sat there for 5-6 years. Finally took them out to shoot some skeet, and when it got dark and I stepped up to shoot, I got all sorts of exclamations from the peanut gallery. Behind the gun, everything looked normal, but they told me that ten-foot streaks of flame were coming out at every shot. So I gave somebody a handful of shells and stood off to the side, and sure enough. They didn't sound abnormal, and they broke birds just as well as any other load. Explanation?

One possibility is that the short barrel, perhaps combined with a large bore or somewhat undersized bullets lowered the velocity to the point you were seeing the bullets. I've watched bullets to a 25 yard target in the past because of low velocity.

Another possibility depends on the sun. With the sun at the right angle it can reflect off the base of the bullet, allowing the bullet travel to be seen.

Guy

I was indeed shooting late in the evening with the sun directly behind me. The reflection explanation is simple and possible. Plated bullets do have a shiny base, and all other rounds fired that day did not.

Now a 12 ga. flamethrower load would be impressive :excl:

Easy a pi :ph34r: 3 drams of FFg behind a Win Red wad and 1zo. #8 shot from a 20" side by side during a night shoot :devil:

My link Scroll down until you find the picture of Howdy Doody shooting at a Night Shoot, I think that is what you are looking for :goof:

Easy a pi :ph34r: 3 drams of FFg behind a Win Red wad and 1zo. #8 shot from a 20" side by side during a night shoot :devil:

My link Scroll down until you find the picture of Howdy Doody shooting at a Night Shoot, I think that is what you are looking for :goof:

*Smokey the Bear voice on*

Only your 12 ga. loads can cause forest fires

*Smokey the Bear voice off*

*Smokey the Bear voice on*

Only your 12 ga. loads can cause forest fires

*Smokey the Bear voice off*

:devil: It makes for a fun event, and Yes, I do not shoot those loads until AFTER the first soaking rain :cheers:

With the short barrel, the powder is not being burned in the barrel and is buring after the bullet escapes. Fun to shoot at night matches. Try Blue Dot for some real flame thowers.

+1 on the bluedot or try some Herco LOL OOOH YEA