Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Grip stippling for production?

Prov1x

On the smith and wesson m&p there is the little part right underneath the trigger guard that is some what stippled looking. If you stipple the grip can you stipple that part as well since it is that way from the factory or would that make the gun illegal in production?

Thanks

If I understand your question, you want to stipple under the trigger guard, adding to the factory stippling? If that is your question, the answer is no, illegal for Production. Check out Appendix E4.

"Checkering, stippling, and/or tape may only be applied to the areas illustrated by

the dashed line boundaries which include the frontstrap and backstrap. Grip Tape

cannot be applied to any part of the slide, trigger, trigger guard, or any lever or

button. Grip Tape or Grip Sleeves cannot disengage a grip safety."

The illustrations clearly show only the grip panels, frontstap, and backstrap.

AppxE4.jpg

I know the exact spot you speak of and technically it is outside the area allowed by USPSA production rules. The spot is so small I dont believe anyone at your local matches would give you a hard time but honestly I wouldn't really risk it. Having that spot stippled probably isn't going to add much to the overall grip anyway.

• 6 months later...

I'm wondering where this illustration came from and if its official per uspsa/ipsc. Although, it would be helpful for stippling one of these firearms, I'm rockin' an M&P Pro. I can't seem to find an image in the uspsa rule book that clearly defines the boundaries. For stippling purposes the boundaries are extremely important and they are different for the two firearms in the image. I have a couple M&P Pro's I am ready to stipple but I'm not sure where to make my boundaries. I understand the front and backstrap and grip panels but how far up can u go with the stippling. I'd appreciate any help trying to figure this out. For an official answer maybe I should just shoot an email to uspsa for clarification. Thanks, Morgan

I'm wondering where this illustration came from and if its official per uspsa/ipsc. Although, it would be helpful for stippling one of these firearms, I'm rockin' an M&P Pro. I can't seem to find an image in the uspsa rule book that clearly defines the boundaries. For stippling purposes the boundaries are extremely important and they are different for the two firearms in the image. I have a couple M&P Pro's I am ready to stipple but I'm not sure where to make my boundaries. I understand the front and backstrap and grip panels but how far up can u go with the stippling. I'd appreciate any help trying to figure this out. For an official answer maybe I should just shoot an email to uspsa for clarification. Thanks, Morgan

Gotta look a little harder through your rule book. Picture is from Appendix E4, page 82. Welcome to the forums too!! :cheers:

Edited by alpha-charlie

I want to agree with A-C as well, but the question is given an M&P Pro do you follow the outline for the Glock or the Sig:

I'm looking at mine, and I don't think that part of the trigger guard is "in bounds" in either picture.

I want to agree with A-C as well, but the question is given an M&P Pro do you follow the outline for the Glock or the Sig:

m&p%20pro%209mm.jpg

I would think that due to all guns being just a little bit different that the outline would look different for all of them. I would have to go on the printed words in the rule., "grip panels, front strap and back." I do see where you're coming from with the M&P tho, as it kind of "flows" the trigger guard into the front strap instead of it being as pronounced on a glock. If you're worried (not you personally) that you're stippling or applying grip tape too high or on an area that might be deemed illegal, it probably is. And of course with stippling, it's forever!!!! Just my .02.

Edit to add: Not that this has anything to do with a rule, but why would anyone want stippling on the underside of your trigger guard? Unless of course you're looking to expedite the development of the "Dryfire badge of honor." :roflol: (That being the large callus on your strong hand middle finger.)

Edited by alpha-charlie

Found the image in the rulebook... Not sure how I missed that one but I appreciate yáll helping me locate it. I would say under the triggerguard is definitely off limits, not that I would want to stipple there anyway. What I'm wondering is if you can stipple up to the slide release like it looks like you can on the glock outline. I just want to understand what the grip panels constitute on a polymer gun grip since it can't be undone. That way I can choose my own border within the acceptable outline. Thanks again for the info!

On the smith and wesson m&p there is the little part right underneath the trigger guard that is some what stippled looking. If you stipple the grip can you stipple that part as well since it is that way from the factory or would that make the gun illegal in production?

Thanks

The area you speak of is not legal to stipple.

The M&P has a polymer frame, so I'd use the Glock outline. The Sig has an aluminum frame and the off-limits areas on the Sig picture are metal and not part of the original factory plastic grips.