Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Do I need a 2011?

narwhal

If you are shooting your M&P in production, then you are not at a disadvantage against other shooters in your division. I shoot both a G17 and a CZ TS that was tuned by Angus. They both shoot accurately if I do my job. Understandably my job from reloads to accuracy is easier with the CZ. It is heavier, and it absorbs recoil differently than the G17 does with the load I shoot through the two of them. But, IF I do my part, I can hit the upper A with the G17 at 25 yds. So when I practice I mostly shoot the G17.

Then again, the 2011 is a nice platform. What's one more gun?

While I wouldnt say you NEEDED one.....i would say that it is possibly the sweetest gun I have ever shot. This coming from a glock guy! Once I shot my buddies trogan it wasnt long until I decided to switch from idpa to USPSA and bought a used sti edge! Its sweet....now I just need to move from a stock recoil spring to a 12.5 lb!

• 1 month later...

I started with a Colt Gold Cup that I thought at the time was the bomb.

Truly fat, dumb and happy and shooting SSTK.

Then, this jerk loans me his SV 2011 for a season. By the third month, I had sold the Gold Cup for much less than I paid and was hiding change to save up for a 2011.

Now, I own an M&P also. A trend not just a few good (not me) Limited shooters have taken up when they want to get challenged by something new. I like my M&P and it is really a challenge but if I had to keep only one, you couldn't snap your fingers in the time it would take me to leave the M&P behind.

Totally different (and good) world. Can't go wrong getting one.

Had an M&P and now have a 2011. Boy did I want one. 

The reality is that the M&P is a very capable gun, especially with good sights, a trigger job, and decent hand loads. Having gone form a single stack 1911, to a baby eagle, to an M&P, to a 2011, I can say that I learned the majority of what I do right on the M&P, and I was getting away with a lot with my heavy 1911. My 2011 would let me get away with being sloppy about even more (mostly reload related). 

It's a cool toy, but honestly, if you want to be a better shooter, spend the money on ammo/components and/or gettting into reloading if you haven't.  You'll get much bigger returns for your dollar with reloaded ammo and practice.