Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Guide rod jump

rjkelso

I did a search on this, I hope I am not wearing out your patience out there.

I have a G20 with a KKM .40S&W conversion barrel and a .40 ejector installed. It shoots great. I intend to use it in Limited after the Area 2 Single Stack Classic. Anyway.

After just one full cycle, fast or slow. The guide rod jumps up and rests in the notch above the stirrup where it is supposed to sit. Every time. I noticed this when I take off the slide. It does not affect how it shoots at all. Accuracy is great. No malfs.

I am using a tungstun guide rod.

This happens with every guide rod, spring or barrel configuration I can create with what I have. The only thing I don't own for it is a captured spring and guide rod system.

It happens worse with the 10mm factory barrel. It actually jambs.

That is all I can think to tell you.

Your thoughts are much appreciated.

Rick

Rick,

I'm not trying to be a smarta$$ here...do you have the rod installed properly? I had the same thing happen then realized I had installed the rod in backwards. The new guide rods attachment end was smaller than stock and I mixed it up. :surprise: My wifes gun did the same as yours until I figured it out.

If not, give these guys a call - http://www.lonewolfdist.com/. They seem to have an answer for every Glock question.

:cheers:

My tungsten guiderod will pop up a little when I remove the slide, even without firing a round...but not on that second notch. I feel like there is something up with the barrel...could you post a picture?

Worst case scenario...if it is not jamming your gun or effecting your shooting, forget about it.

No problem. It's an uncaptured guide rod.

Hi Rick,

I see what you’re talking about. I get a similar thing in my glocks too, but it doesn’t quite make the jump. The flange on the end of the guide rod though is just barely hanging on in its groove by maybe a millimeter or 2 when I take the slide off (this happens with my stock guide rods and the bronze one). Glock didn’t design-in any retention feature on the barrel so I’m assuming that guide rod flange motion during recoil should not be a problem. I’ll have to take another look at my glocks to see what goes on during recoil. Is your slide/frame fit pretty loose? I can imagine if the slide rides too high there might be less engagement between the guide rod flange and barrel guide rod groove. Maybe try changing out your slide stop and/or spring.

I'll post a pic for drill.

Though the thought had crossed my mind that maybe it is only popping up when I remove the slide.

Am I being stupid?

post-12898-127740349432_thumb.jpg

post-12898-127740356891_thumb.jpg

post-12898-12774037675_thumb.jpg

Edited by rjkelso

^Not stupid at all, it's a good question. I really cannot see any problems on your KKM barrel...here's the final test: See what happens with a stock barrel. If you see the same effect, then it is occurring by taking the slide off.

The stock barrel does the same thing. As a matter of fact it actually caused the gun to freeze up.

Tonight when I go to the range I am gonna install my barrel and guide rod in the rental G20 they have and see what happens.

The slide to frame fit seems pretty tight.

I put my X6 glasses on and can clearly see that the stirrup where the barrel should sit is ever so slightly angled downward.

R

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Rick,

I was looking at my G21SF last night and noticed my gun does the same thing as yours with the guide rod flange. It jumped down to the next step after it was cycled using the factory barrel. I’ve never had a jam with it though and it cycles smoothly (for a glock), although there is some resistance when removing the slide.

After just one full cycle, fast or slow. The guide rod jumps up and rests in the notch above the stirrup where it is supposed to sit. Every time. I noticed this when I take off the slide. It does not affect how it shoots at all. Accuracy is great. No malfs.
It happens worse with the 10mm factory barrel. It actually jambs.

Are you saying that the guide rod jump doesn't cause malfing with the .40 barrel, but does in 10mm? If so, what sort of malf? Have you tried reinstalling the stock guide rod? Does the 10mm barrel also malf with the stock system in place?

I have the exact same issue with my G-21. Mine runs great then the rod jumps and the slide will not go fully into battery. Its not all the time just once in a while. Sometimes a rack will fix it other times I have to pull the slide and reset the rod. I am using the stock barrel. I have tried a stainless guide rod with a 15 lbs IMSI spring and a Tugsten with the same lbs spring. Both had the issue.

I just swapped out to a Jager captured rod with the IMSI 15 lbs spring and last week it ran fine for about 100 rounds. Going to another match this weekend and will run it again. I do have another barrel but want to try one thing at a time.

I have a G21 with a KKM barrel and wolff guide rod 15# spring. It does the same thing every time I take the slide off.

Never had any trouble with function. I beleve this is a normal thing to happen when removing the slide, that is why you

have to be careful with the factory guide rod, you can chip the edge when reinstalling the slide if you don't reset the guide rod.