Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What do you do with crimped primer pocket brass?

TruStreet

Before I got my 1050, I just scrapped it out. Now with the 1050 I make a special run of it. I sort brass before I reload it and all the commercial stuff gets run first without the swage rod. Then I take all the military brass and load that while using the swage rod. I know there's a guy that does brass processing for $30/K.

why not just leave the brass mixed, and leave the de-swage rod operational all the time? it will not harm non-swaged brass...

jj

I found the primer pocket depth differs just enough on the stuff I have to where the swage rod will put too much pressure on commercial brass if it's set up enough to remove the crimp in military brass. I have to run them separately or risk damaging the brass. I tried all sorts of swage rod adjustments and just can't seem to get it dialed in right and proper.

I found the primer pocket depth differs just enough on the stuff I have to where the swage rod will put too much pressure on commercial brass if it's set up enough to remove the crimp in military brass. I have to run them separately or risk damaging the brass. I tried all sorts of swage rod adjustments and just can't seem to get it dialed in right and proper.

Wow..... Never had the problem. Actually I set mine the day I bought it and have loaded everything that has come along with zero problems with the swage process... I have left mine operational on all of my presses.

I am not sure I have ever seen brass with a cripped primmer pocket. I had to do a quick google search for a picture. Do you see this on a particular manufacture?

Most common is WCC which is Winchester Cartridge Company military brass.

Wow..... Never had the problem. Actually I set mine the day I bought it and have loaded everything that has come along with zero problems with the swage process... I have left mine operational on all of my presses.

All your presses! I’m so jealous how may 1050’s do you own?

Fed NT, Win NT. I'm sure there are others but those are the most common. I just toss them out for now. If it gets to the point that all of these cartridge companies start going with "NT" brass i'll invest in a super swage or, better yet, a 1050!

I think a problem arises when relying on head stamp alone. The brass may have actually been swagged before. It isn't necessarily once-fired brass. Rather than have to handle it unnecessarily, I believe I will just toss it in a box either for sale or when I am desperate for brass. For now, the stuff is just too common to worry about salvaging. This may be more realistic now that more people are reloading 9mm rather than relying on the old saw that store bought ammo is too cheap to bother reloading the caliber.

Edited by at_liberty