Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best Caliber

BlackIce

That's a pretty broad question. IDPA pretty much built their divisions around action type in combination with caliber. In CDP division you have a single action pistol in .45 with a 165 PF. In ESP you have a single action pistol with a 125 pf so take your choice between the 9mm calibers (9x19, 9x23, .38 Super) or a .40 (10mm). In SSP you can shoot any caliber but the power factor is only 125 so most guys are going with a 9mm or a .40, but you could shoot a larger caliber.

If you want a pistol to shoot both IDPA and USPSA you could use a 1911 in .45 for L10 and CDP. If you like Glocks you can shoot a 9mm in Production and SSP, or a .40 or .45 in SSP and Production and Limited 10 and Limited. Another option would be to shoot something like Matt Burkett's cross competitor (S_I) in ESP and Limited/L10.

Whew, now for the short reply. The most versatile caliber that will allow you to shoot the most divisions across most sports is probably a .40. If I had to choose one gun, it would be a toss up between a bushing barreled S_I in .40 S&W or a single stack 1911 in .45.

BI,

Depends on what division you want to shoot in. If you want to shoot USPSA production, then I would say that what you have sounds just fine. Also, you should be able to use it for IDPA if you decide to go that route. If you plan on shooting in USPSA Open, Limited, or Limited 10, then I would say a 1911 style gun in .40 would be the way to go.

My advice would be to stick with what you have for now, and then make a decision after you have been playing the game for awhile.

.... i have a USPc .40...... Is this ok to use if I start getting into competition shoots?.

We have people at our club using that gun. TriggerT's advice on sticking with what you have for now is a good one. One thing though, you'll want to have at least 4 10rd magazines. Having 6 is really comfortable but not absolutely necessary.

As far as which caliber ... if I had to pick one I would say .40. One thing to consider if/when you reload is having too many different calibers because you will have to stock a lot more components. Also, if you only have one press you have to change calibers which is not fun for lazy people ... like me :)

Short Round adds a few sagacious (that's a $0.25 word) points. 4 to 6 mags is a must. Sticking with one caliber is also good, and in that area the .40 you have will cover almost everything other than an open class gun. Don't make the mistake I made, and just start buying equipment because it looks cool. ASK QUESTIONS. I know the vast majority of people in the sport will be more than happy to help you out. Search through old threads on this site if you can make the time. The people on this site are some of the most knowledgeable, and maybe more importantly OPEN MINDED I have found in the sport.

By the way, love BI's avatar. :ph34r:

BI,

It seems much of the advice you have gotten is for USPSA/IPSC, since you put this post in the IDPA forum I'll change a few of the recommendations.

For IDPA you will only need 3 mags to start competiting. Really you can get by with 2 rounders if you are a good shot but I would advise having 3. You can get more if you decide IDPA is a game you like and want to continue. Also in IDPA the maximum capacity for legal mags is 10 rounds, so don't worry about trying to find hi-caps. According to the rule book the most round that can be required on 1 stage is 18. Most clubs follow this, occasionally you will find a 20 or 24 round stage at club matches. USPSA will require more mags because the strings of fire are usually longer than in IDPA.

Also the gun you mentioned is a fine weapon. In IDPA stock service pistol (SSP) you have a gun that can be very competitive. In fact the WV state shoot SSP division was won a few years back by a gentleman shooting a USP.

To echo other statements, 40 S&W is a good choice for IDPA competition, or competition in general. If you start reloading, you can make some very nice shooting loads that are closer to the 125pf than factory. But 40 is not bad to shoot, so with factory ammo you aren't hindered.

Also to find local IDPA clubs, you should go to www.IDPA.com. The affilited clubs (any way the link to the map is near the top of the second column on the main page) like will allow you to find clubs anywhere in the US and a few other places.

www.uspsa.com mentioned before will take you to the USPSA/IPSC site. Another good shooting sport, but it isn't IDPA.

B.I.

There have been many good replies to the question of best caliber for competion.

Personally, when I carry concealed I have a Colt Officers Model in .45 acp. I use matches to practice and finetune my rig. It's a good thing I've had this goal in mind. Shooting a compact with factory loads and six-round magazines is not the way to star in a IPSC match. However, I don't carry a $3,000 race pistol with optical sights under my jacket! In my opinion, one of the questions one should ask is,"Am I shooting to practice with my carry rig or am I in it for the sport?" IDPA is able to provide for both.

Regardless of caliber, you want to look at the power floor (bullet weight times velocity) for the game you are going to play. IDPA is based on a 125 floor, so a 9mm is all you really need unless you feel obligated to carry a .45acp, which has a 165 floor. Of course, that doesn't really mimic carry loads, what with a 230 gr going about 718fps?

For USPSA, you want to make major, unless you are shooting production class. So if you have a 40S&W, you can load it down for IDPA and keep it major (165) for USPSA.

I would not go out and buy another gun. Try several matches in both games, and then decide. In the end, shooting is 95% mental, and 5% gun. Generally, the largest frame gun in the most manageable caliber you can handle is best...