Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

steel challenge question

ss+P

So i am shooting in my first steel challenge major match and have a question about the rules.

I am shooting in the limited division: i have an sti 2011 in .40 and an sti 1911 in 9mm.

The match i am shooting at has a MAX power factor of 150 or 155. Do i have to download the 40 to be able to shoot in limited division or can i shoot the 9 in limited steel challenge as well.

The way i read the rules is that major or minor doesn't matter. it is more about the holster you wear

From the official Steel Challenge rule book

"LIMITED DIVISION" Limited shall be governed by USPSA rules for firearm description

and rule interpretation. [...]

So, you can shoot major or minor. 40 or 9mm. Steel Challenge has a minimum feet per second rule of 750 fps to ensure the bullets completely flatten and fall instead of bounce. They also have a minimum power factor.

Local max power factor rules are a misplaced concept of safety. Major power factor will not damage good steel nor is it unsafe to shoot 185pf loads at steel. Magnum load are a different story. I'm personally not too fond of people shooting JHPs at steel, but it's allowed.

most of us that have to pay for the steel and fix things would rather it did not get hammerd with major loads. even my good plates cup back at the edges from repeted hits with hot loads.

I have been trying to upgrade my club steel but even the best targets get beaten back. allso the hot loads on the stands and post .

But i don't know much. but if you want to see some 5, 10, 15, and 20 year old targets I could take some photos

some of my club targets that are 5 years old I think of as new.

Steve J has a very cool scar from a load hitting the target stand and giving him a spraying red cut.

Yes you can shoot your 9mm in limited div.

Thanks for moving this thread. I am not very good at locating things on the forum yet. I would have never found that in Shooting Sports and Travel, then other shooting sports, steel challenge.

Thanks for answering my question