Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Training In The Sf Bay Area

kdj

For those folk in (or in the know about) the SF Bay area:

Where do you manage to practice?

There are many competitions in this area, so one can practice at these. There are many ranges where one can practice precision shooting (1 shot every 2 seconds). I can dry fire at home to my heart's content.

But I can't find any where that I can go and actually practice anything remotely interesting.

Are there any places where one can practice using a holster, set up a few targets and shoot them fast without getting thrown out?

I believe practice is good B) and it would be nice to remove one more excuse for poor performance but I'm having difficulty!

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Kevin

Kevin,

Surely you know then where the Richmond Rod & Gun Club is then.

Every Saturday is IPSC Practice at the range. Too, if you don't mind the drive, in Woodland, at Yolo Sportsmans Association, we tend to practice either Saturday or Sunday and then shoot trap and/or skeet afterwards.

If need directions to either, feel free to drop a line.

Rich

Richmond Hot Shots

Sacramento Area Clubs/Ranges

a little more on Richmond Rod and Gun Club ...

You can check the schedule to see when practices and matches are. Sometimes there are special events, but it is practically every Saturday.

Practice is from 9:30am to 1:30pm. There are two bays setup. One has a firing line with IPSC targets down range (Bay 3) and the other bay has a short stage/field course setup (Bay 4). There will be RO's on duty to help you out if you have questions.

There are also directions on the website uscbigdawg provided. When you arrive at RR&GC there will be parking right in front past the gate to the left. There probably will be other cars there so just follow along.

There is a secret. Before you go to the IPSC range (which will be to your right if you parked in the same direction as the other cars) you want to go to the Range House to your left past the 25 yrd line and pay the range fee. Tell the fellow there that you will be shooting IPSC. This will save you the walk from the IPSC range to the Range House and back when you find out where to pay the range fee after first going to the IPSC range. ;) Sign in at Bay 3.

It is a cold range. The Safe Area will be to your right as you are walking towards the bays after entering the IPSC range. Don't be afraid to ask anyone if you get lost or have questions. Everyone there is super cool!

Thanks for the suggestions so far!

Richmond was on my list. I'm certainly planning to be there any Saturday there's not a match I want to shoot - that's the trouble with weekends, they get overloaded.

I'm also hoping to find some where one can drop into a couple of evenings a week and at least practice 2nd shots and splits, even if not be able to set up anything more ambitious. I know there is such a place in Merced but that's a bit far :blink:

Any thing like that closer to home? Are all the local ranges anti-speed?

Thanks,

Kevin

Reed's Indoor Range in santa clara has a Monday night ppc and modified tyro leagues. Tyro uses 3 mini ipsc targets and 3 mini upper a/b zones. @ 7 yards. the Azone is roughly the size of buisness card. There are several timed strings including: 2 shots each target, reload and re-engage 2 shots each. Very much like an el prez without the trun and draw. No hosters though, all shooting is done from the low ready. (408)970-9870

So it looks like:

Reeds on Monday

Jackson on Weds

Richmond or a match on Saturday

Match on Sunday

That should work.

The other option is to buy land in the boonies and shoot when I feel like it, I suppose :P

Thanks for the input.

Kevin

I've now tried all of the above and it seems to fit the bill nicely.

Now I have no excuses not to practice all aspects and only myself to blame for not doing so. I'm running out of excuses for not getting this right :P

Thanks again for the pointers.

Kevin