Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Opinions on PC 625 "half-lug". Anyone shooting one?

signsrup

Looking for opinions of those that are shooting a 4" PC 625. Specifically the half-lug, short cylinder version. I am looking for a 5 inch, but there are alot of these guns out there, and I was thinking of "settling" for one :).

Will be used primarily for ICORE, USPSA.

Eric

I really enjoy my 5" 625PC! The skeletonized half lug barrel helps to drop weight which aides in transitions.

I'd consider the 4" if it were all I could find. I just shot my 627 Pro in a local match this past weekend in Prod. and L10 for grins and giggles and did much better than I thought I would. I was second out of 10 shooters in Prod. and fifth out of 13 or 14 in L10, and all of the other shooters in those divisions were shooting autos. The extra inch of lost sight radius didn't seem to hamper me too much (but there were no targets over 15 yrd. at this match either). If you were shooting ICORE where shots could stretch out to 50 yards, every extra bit of sight radius would be helpful.

I really enjoy my 5" 625PC! The skeletonized half lug barrel helps to drop weight which aides in transitions.

I'd consider the 4" if it were all I could find. I just shot my 627 Pro in a local match this past weekend in Prod. and L10 for grins and giggles and did much better than I thought I would. I was second out of 10 shooters in Prod. and fifth out of 13 or 14 in L10, and all of the other shooters in those divisions were shooting autos. The extra inch of lost sight radius didn't seem to hamper me too much (but there were no targets over 15 yrd. at this match either). If you were shooting ICORE where shots could stretch out to 50 yards, every extra bit of sight radius would be helpful.

I have a PC 625 5" as you describe. Not impressed. If you're shooting IPSC I'd go with a standard 5".

Notice no difference in accuracy or velocity over a standard 5". Cylinders still subject to peening.

I actually chose this type because:

1) I wanted the advantage of the shorter lighter cylinder, which I don't see in accuracy, speed or velocity.

2) I like a lighter gun forward for decreased transition times. I do think it's slightly there, but not worth the extra price, and I'm not sure anyone under a High GM, not me, can utilize it.

Edited by pskys2

Pskys2,

It's the standard 5" gun that i'm searching for. There seems to be a bunch of the PC 4" guns available now, that's why I was considering one. I think I will continue to hold out for a 5", whether it be a standard or PC.

Eric

• 1 month later...

Looking for opinions of those that are shooting a 4" PC 625. Specifically the half-lug, short cylinder version. I am looking for a 5 inch, but there are alot of these guns out there, and I was thinking of "settling" for one :).

Eric

Full-lug is the way to go............ 5" 625 45acp

Eric

What I'm trying to say I guess is I definitely wouldn't spend any extra for a PC 625 with a half lug. Don't buy the BS that they are better, tuned or have forged parts. They aren't any better than a stock 625.

Eric

What I'm trying to say I guess is I definitely wouldn't spend any extra for a PC 625 with a half lug. Don't buy the BS that they are better, tuned or have forged parts. They aren't any better than a stock 625.

Absolutely true.

I will chime in here, as i have both and shot both. the PC 5" is cool in theory but mine was crap out of the box. it had to go back to smith and is now a safe queen. i got a standard 5" gun and it works. knowing what i do now, i would not have waisted the extra cash on the PC, the stupid box they come in is not worth $300. i have an extra cylinder now and i think i am going to convert the PC gun into a standard cylinder with a 4" barrel so i can shoot some idpa stuff with it.

Scott

I have a PC 625 5" as well as three 625 5" production models. One of my regular 625s has a Ti cylinder in it and it feels virtually the same as to weight and balance. All of these guns have been Carmonized. I would not pay a premium for a PC 625. If you want to duplicate the balance etc buy a Ti cylinder. Consider sending what ever you buy to Mike and it will be competition ready when you get it back.

• 2 weeks later...