Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Basic tips for more accurate shooting needed

whysman

I have just run across this forum, so I appologize if this topic is addressed elsewhere...

I just picked up a .40 Glock model 22.   I went to the range today and bought a box of rounds to test my skill, keep in mind that the last time I shot a handgun was about 8 years ago.

Anyway, I set my target about 30-35 feet away and I was absolutely suprised at how innacurate I was.  I mean only one shot (out of 50) hit within a two inch circle in the middle, and the rest were predominately low on the target.  There really was no consistency other than a general low tendency.  

So I am asking for some help on basic shooting techinque to improve my accuracy.   I am also wondering how much the actual ammunition has an affect on accuracy.  I would imagine quite a bit, but maybe I am just hoping that I am not as bad of a shot as I was today.    The only ammo that they had in .40 was 180 grain re-loads.   To be quite honest, I dont know much about what the grain count means, so any advice on what .40 ammo is recommended would be appreciated as well.

Thanks for your help!

Steve

Steve, why so far away?  I mean no flame, but if you have  not shot for years, why not start with the target closer...re-work the basics of stance, grip, sight aquisition, trigger control.

When I practice, I start at 15 feet and work out, unless i have a specific thing I want to practice.

As I picked up from Brian's book (a good first step would be to get it), i also just shoot and watch the front sight...no target...get the pressure of having to hit that away from you for now.

The rest of these folks far outstrip me in experience, but it still all comes down to thsoe fundamentals.

Your question could really take hours to answer so what I would suggest is to buy Brian's book, buy Matt Burkett's video's and look around this forum.  Go to tips for improvements and you will find alot of helpfull information.  

Oh yea either start reloading or buy lots of bullets.  Because no matter how much you read and how many videos you watch it cannot take the place of putting lead down range.

I know this is not the magical answer but it will help.

Find a good instructor, not joe bob from down the street, and get the basics down. Most C class shooters and above will put the best shooters off the street to shame. Matt's videos are great for competition and basic fundamentals, Brians book is great but might be over your head if you don't understand the basics. Watch shooting reloads in Glocks they just might go kaboom! Stick to factory ammo or learn to reload your own. I see guys all the time at the range that go and blast a couple hundred rounds down range, they don't have a clue. Look up a local club on the USPSA website. Go to a match and watch and talk to the Match director. Many guys will take the time to show you the correct techniques. We can always use new shooters. A little background on your experience level might help in getting you better answers. Are you a casual plinker, complete newbie, etc. Remember safety is the most important thing.

I believe one of the first steps to more accurate shooting is learning the trigger reset. After each shot, hold the trigger back and let it forward JUST enough for it to reset, and no further. This will tighten your groups immediately and you will smile! If you're alredy doing this, keep reading...

Thanks everyone for your replys (and keep 'em comin').  I have ordered Matt's videos and am looking forward to doing some more shooting.  

I'll give you a little more info on my experience level (as suggested by Chriss).   I grew up messing around with BB guns, and spent a few years deer hunting (12 & 20 guage shotguns).  I bought a Norinko 9mm 1911 knock off when I turned 21 and have only shot it a few times and not at all for 8 years or so.   I thought that I would give the sport a serious try and went out and bought a Glock  (I am sure it is probably not the most recommended gun, but I have some aquaintences who are in law enforcement who carry them and like them).

Anyway, even though I just started today, I think I may like this and would like to learn more about getting into competition.   I understand that I need a hell of a lot more practice (and always will), but I would like to start somewhere.

Thanks again for all your help.

Steve

Get a black permanent marker and cover up all the white on the stock Glock sights. (Get Heinie or BoMar sights later.) Focus on the front sight. See all the striations and uneven ink the marker made. Put the pad of your finger on the trigger (same part you'd use to press buttons at the ATM). Take up the slack in the trigger, then slowly pull against the resistance, imagining you are trying to pull through the gun and touch the web of your hand.

DRY FIRE, DRY FIRE, DRY FIRE.   When you can execute a smooth trigger pull without jerking the gun, you will shoot accurately.  BTW:  the "mostly low"  is likely due to yanking the trigger.  Since it is "hinged", a yank tends to rotate the gun forward and the muzzle drops.  Mucho dry firing will give your hand muscle memory and your shooting will improve.

I have never found Glock triggers to be easy to shoot accurately and that's why I don't own one.  I am sure you will be able to shoot accurately with practice.

As for ammo:  if you want new ammo, try Sellier + Belott 180-grain FMJ from Natchez Shooters Supply.  usually runs about $160/case.

http://www.natchezss.com/

I have switched to shooting reloads in my .40 to save money.  You can get good 180-gr FMJ .40 from Home Ammo Direct for about $124/case.

http://www.ammodirect.com/

The Glock trigger is very interesting. Most of the trigger stroke is takeup with very little effort required to move the trigger. Real resistance is met only at the very end of the trigger stroke. This portion of the trigger stroke, where you suddenly hit resistance, is called "the link." When firing a Glock (or any other single action auto for that matter - and PLEASE let's not get into a debate on whether or not the Glock is a single action) the first thing you do is take up the slack until you hit the link. Then you prep the trigger with almost enough pressure to fire the gun but not quite. Nominal trigger pull on a stock Glock is 5-1/2 pounds. When I say "prep the trigger" I mean if this is a 5-1/2 pound trigger pull you want 5 pounds of pressure on it. Then apply that last 1/2 pound of pressure to fire the gun. This is all the energy you're putting into completing the trigger pull that could possibly pull the gun off target. Try dry firing the gun a lot and you'll get it into your mind what 5-1/2 pounds feels like, and just how far you can push the trigger before the gun fires.

After the shot, to learn this next part, hold the trigger all the way to the rear. Follow-through on your front sight for a couple of seconds while holding the trigger all the way to the rear of the trigger guard. "Follow-through" simply means you stay looking at your front sight; your eyes don't move, your head doesn't move, your hands and body don't move, stay on the front sight. Then SLOWLY let the trigger out until it resets. You'll feel and hear a *click!* when this happens. The point where the trigger resets we also call "the link."  Do not let the trigger return forward past the link. If you do you'll just have to take up slack again. Except as a hedge against accidental discharge under stress, all that slack is just wasted movement; you don't want to have to deal with it after the first shot. One really neat thing about the Glock trigger mechanism is that the link is in the exact same place both going to the rear and back forward, and when it resets there is no takeup necessary, you can begin the next trigger pull instantly. This is not the case with many auto pistols. After the trigger resets, you're back to prepping the trigger again for your next shot.

Do that prep the trigger/fire the shot/hold it to the rear while you follow-through on the front sight/slowly let the trigger out until it resets, then start the process all over again stuff until you've got it grooved into your muscle memory where the link is and how much you can prep the trigger. Once you've got that down, start making the interval you hold the trigger to the rear shorter and shorter. Eventually your goal is that by the time the gun is down out of recoil you're going to have the trigger reset, prepped and be half a pound away from firing the next shot.

The Glock's trigger action is really the best thing about the gun so use it well. To find a gun easier to fire fast and well than a Glock you've pretty much got to go to a 1911.

BTW it's worth mentioning that if you're a new shooter - or beginning again after a long layoff - .40 S&W recoil might be a bit much for you. Try a Nine, it's much easier to master. If you reload you can seriously download the .40 to a 9mm level of recoil, but simply getting a 9mm is the quick fix for the problem. Go to more heavily recoiling calibers later, right now you need to master the basics without having a gun that startles you too much when it goes off.

Double up on the hearing protection. Use plugs AND muffs. Holding onto a firecracker as it explodes 2/1-2 feet in front of your face can be a nervous making experience. People who aren't used to shooting a handgun, to using muscles they don't normally use by standing in the stance, to the level of concentration required, to the sudden and repeated high-intenseity noise, tend to get physically tired really fast. The more noise you can cut out, the more pleasant and less tiring your shooting sessions will be.

(Edited by Duane Thomas at 6:53 pm on June 12, 2002)