Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Slugs shooting to left

Mattog22

I have an 870 I was using with a modified choke ( to make sure steel falls) and when I shoot slugs they hit about 1 ft to the left at 100 yds. I bought a hiviz rear sight to see if I wasn't looking down the rib straight but I had to almost max out the rear sight to the right to zero it. Is this sometimes the case or is something wrong with my barrel?

I have an 870 I was using with a modified choke ( to make sure steel falls) and when I shoot slugs they hit about 1 ft to the left at 100 yds. I bought a hiviz rear sight to see if I wasn't looking down the rib straight but I had to almost max out the rear sight to the right to zero it. Is this sometimes the case or is something wrong with my barrel?

Try a different brand of slug.

All of my slugs hit WAY high and right. As in off the paper at 100. Remington managed recoil make about a 1 ft group at 100. Breneke and fiochi full power make about 4-6" at 100. Rem full power is at 6"+. They are still high and right but not as much as managed recoil rem. I had my smith mill a dovetail on the rib for a remington 10/22 sight. It's WAY over to one side. But I'm consistently hitting targets now. Shot is just fine for me.

I also tried different combinations of choke. Even changed the cast(?) of the stock. In the end I just found the combination that gave the best groups and used iron sights to adjust the rest.

Different brands of slugs can make a huge difference. I have had one brand shoot 5" groups at a 100 with one gun the next gun shoot a 2 foot group high and left with te same slugs. Try different brands and different velocities until you find a good one.

I just relearned most of the lessons from the above.

There are essentially four variables for slugs with relation to what we do.

1 Velocity

2 Slug Type (Forster or Brenneke)

3 Choke

4 Sighting systems

Oftentimes doing a little experimenting with different velocities or different chokes will yield some pretty impressive results.

Yeah, I think I should have experimented more before jumping to the conclusion that it will shoot that way with all slugs. I'm just glad to hear that this is probably normal. I'm new to shooting slugs so I had no idea they could act so differently.

Yeah, I think I should have experimented more before jumping to the conclusion that it will shoot that way with all slugs. I'm just glad to hear that this is probably normal. I'm new to shooting slugs so I had no idea they could act so differently.

Just yday I was having difficulty getting slugs to group, I could only hit a fullsize USPSA target 5 out of ten times at 100yds. Results were the same with two different brands and two different velocities.

Went and bought a modified choke to replace the light modified I had in the gun. Wound up shooting one brand into a 6 inch group at 100 with three of the rounds touching one and other.

Dan,

Yes I was running my Firebird Saiga. I had bought two cases of the Winchester Winlite slugs on Jim's advice and I couldn't get them to shoot with the LM choke. Switched it out for a Mod choke and now they are like little lasers. :D

Like many, I'm finding that when you find a slug/choke combo that works, don't mess with it. My Benelli does not like Remington Managed Recoil slugs at all. Federal low recoil shot much better. I may have changed my choke prior to a match on Sunday.....and my point of impact.... Where's the slapping yourself in the head emotioncon??

Those Saiga barrels have a nice snug bore. .720 was the diameter of 6 barrels of guns Jim was building.

MY Mossberg 930 will do a 3 shot 2 inch group at 50 yards, center of the target, using Winchester 1600fps rifled slugs. When I use either WinLite or Ranger Reduced power slugs, the gun shoots a foot to the right. You need to try a few different types and brands to see what works for your gun.

Take care,

Dave

Do you have an extended mag tube and barrel clamp on the 870?

yes and I thought the clamp was pulling the barrel so I took it off and still had the same results

Time to play with chokes and ammo.

I have found the best results with slugs with a light modified extended choke by Carlson.

If nothing you try corrects it then your bbl bay be slightly bent.