Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Help In Dis-assembly

McDaddy

As mentioned in a previous thread, I am new to the Open game. I bought an older Para open gun, and was wondering if there was an easier way to field strip it. I took it apart (by removing the slide stop) when I first got it to eyeball everything to make sure that there were no obvious problems, and it took me forever to get it back together again. Maybe I'm just an idiot. I guess the question I have, is do you remove the compensator when disassmbling it or not? Without a barrel bushing, it relly threw me for a loop, the full length guide rod was giving me fits. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

-Mac-

MacDaddy,

Look for a hole in the guide rod. If you see one, retract the slide and put a paper clip, nail, or anything that will fit in the hole. This compresses the recoil spring and makes the recoil spring and guide rod one unit, which allows the top end to come apart easier.

If there is not a hole in the guide rod, look and see if the end of the guide rod will fit an allen wrench.

Don't take the comp off unless you really need to. It is probably lock tighted on and will require heat to come off.

Hope this helps.

If there is not a hole in the guide rod, look and see if the end of the guide rod will fit an allen wrench.

If there is no take-down hole in the guide rod, buy one that does or haul yours to the nearest drill press (a 1/16" drill will work). You can buy a new FLGR that is pre-drilled for about $16. I think Dawsons Precision sells them? If not, STI can point you where to go because they put them in their guns. I can't acess gun websites from here so I can't post any links.

McDaddy,

Like others have mentioned, find a hole for a pin or an allen wrench hole and go from there to remove the guide rod.

Do not remove the comp. Don't be thrown off due to the lack of a bushing. An Open gun really is the same thing just with a couple of extra holes and doo-dads.

If I knew where you were located, I'd refer you to a good gunsmith, who'd walk you through the process. However, if you went to say your local club president, I'm sure they'd be willing to walk you through it.

Rich

I thought so, too, TL. BTW, glad you're back. :)

Gary, why blame SC? Seems to me that that's a manufacturer's problem. Send the thing out to a gunsmith, you should have it back within a week for less than the cost of 3 drill bits. ;)

I bought a tungston guide rod that didnt have a take down hole. 18 drill bits and 3 months later Im one quarter of the way thru. thanks alot shooters connection. :angry:

Gary,

My 'smith Will told me when he drills TDHs in a FLGR , he only goes about 1/4 - 1/3 of the way through. He said he had seen rods crack at the hole since tungsten is brittle. Sounds like you did the correct thing!

DVC,

Chuck

;)