Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Help with optics selection on M1A Scout rifle.

Cuz

Hi,

Can anyone recommend some optics options for my M1A Scout Squad rifle? It has a forward mounted rail. I want to be able to co-witness the iron sights thru the optic sight. I think that means no magnification on the optics but I'm not sure.

I don't have any real purpose for the rifle other than recreational plinking at 50 to maybe 300 yards max. Would an EOTech work well on this rifle?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

-Cuz.

1) M1As have very low iron sights. I don't see how you would ever be able to cowitness the irons to an optic. Even a JPoint or Deltapoint.

2) You also can't really cowitness through anything other than a nonmagnified red dot sight.

3) Cowitnessed iron sights clutter the sight picture of your red dot. Some people don't mind. I can't stand it.

4) Cowitnessing is highly overrated. Absent some gunbattle in Mosul after a helicopter has crashed on your red dot, when on earth would you need them?

5) An Eotech will work on your rifle. But you will get no magnification to find targets at 300 which may be an issue if they are obscured.

Thanks Kellyn,

That's exactly the kind of stuff I want to know. Rifles are sort of new to me so I really don't know what I think I want. Since I'm not planning any helicopter trips in Mosul, maybe instead of cowitnessed sights what I really need is a quick disconnect capability on the optics just in case a helo full of zombies crashes into my safe and breaks my optics...

-Cuz.

If I were going to use optics on a M1A, and it had the forward mount, I would look at a scout scope. Leupold makes a nice 2.5x and I believe Burris does also. Figure out how much eye relief you need with that type mount and go from there. You can use quick detach rings from any number of companies if you want to go back and forth between the optics and irons.

I've tried red-dots and I don't see much utility for them unless it's raining or low light. They are heads and shoulders above irons in these conditions, but for a day at the range irons will allow easier hits at distance and won't slow you down on the close stuff.

Hi,

Can anyone recommend some optics options for my M1A Scout Squad rifle? It has a forward mounted rail. I want to be able to co-witness the iron sights thru the optic sight. I think that means no magnification on the optics but I'm not sure.

I don't have any real purpose for the rifle other than recreational plinking at 50 to maybe 300 yards max. Would an EOTech work well on this rifle?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

-Cuz.

For your intended use just stick with the excellent set of Iron Sights already on the gun.

You will be a better rifleman for the experience!

Patrick