Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Load Data Needed

StephenG

StephenG, someone else can say for sure, but I think West Coasts are Plated not Jacketed, don't use Jacketed load data for them.

Berry's data or Ranier data would probably be better suited....

I asked a quesiton about this a little while back in a thread "Plated vs. Jacket" in the normal Reloading forum.

A few people recommended starting with "Lead" load data and work up (with a chrony) - should be safer that way.

I couldn't fuind any good Plated information either...

They are indeed plated. THe most accurate factory data you are likely to find is from Speer, since they manufacture the Electroplated "TMJ" or "Total Metal Jacket" (gee-wonder how they did that?!?!) AND they publish a reloading manual that features common .45 powders incl. the old stand by 231 (HP38 is nearly the same). In my opinion, Regular Plain Old Clays powder feels better (though you will have to use 4.5 grns at 1.250" to get it to Major and its beyond the max Hodgdon load). You could also use a book load for the slower Universal Clays but it will kick more. Best of all, use V V N310, but since V V is brand new in the USA (only been around for 15 years) I doubt anybody will take my suggestion. Still, N310 and WC 200 grn RN or FP are as good as it gets.

For a Rainier 230 RN, I use 4.1grs of 310 to make 165pf. I use mixed brass, Fed LP, and have the rounds at an OAL of 1.250. That should give you a starting point to work up a load for the 200gr using 310.

The load I used was 5.6 gr of 231. The original OAL I loaded to was 1.240 but the gun would not go into battery. The strange thing was was that they worked fine in another Kimber that was at the range. These were West Coast 200gr FP.

I re-seated them all to 1.189 and they shot great. I shot a pin match with them last night and had no problem knocking them off.

steve

VV posted some new data online for .45 200grn lead bullets of N310 which is between 3.7-4.0 grn for between 825-900fps. I figure that even if it will be off, I am still within the safe margin and may be it will be slower by 100fps at max. So,I I try to load WC 200 grn Rn for about 3.8 grn and 1.250" OAL.

But it was way off, I chrono at 450fps average and my Valtro became a single action pistol. I thought I did something wrong. Guest what, when my friend try to load the same exact thing and we chrono at the same day different gun. Same velocity came up. I am so angry because I load a BUNCH(1800 rds). Now, I have to take them all apart at the rate of 200 bullets/hr.

Guest I will never trust the reloading data from the book again, especially VV data book. How stupid I am!!! :angry:

231 Ahh the powder of my youth! I still use it both in 40 and 45. To directly answer your querry I use 6.0 of 231 a ww primer and west coast 200s, I also use 230 west coasts at 5.7 great load, great feel, but a bit of flash for both! KURT