Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9Major Open FS Loads

RobE1010

Just starting the whole process of Open and looking for some recipes. I am looking to use both 121gr MG and 124/125gr MG and Zero projectiles, I have a small stash to use. I would be looking for full PF recipes to accomodate a 9Major FS Open gun with no popples and a Bedell Ti comp. Ideally, I would be looking for recipes utilizing True Blue, N350 or Silhouette powders as I have a supply on hand. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hi Rob,

my 5" 9x19 makes Major at around 7.4 grains of N350 under a 124CMJ at 1.165" OAL.

Be careful, work your way up in increments, chrono and check for signs of pressure.

Good luck!

Roman

Just read your post again, we seem to have similar guns.

Mine is a Bedell 5", Ti comp, w/out hybrid snot holes.

Edited by Team Amish 1

My current 9 major is 7.7gr of Silhouette with 125gr Zero at 1.160. Shoots as well as anything I have tried. I have a Bedel Ti on my FS 38Super, I had to put a poppel hole it to tame it and push the load up to 175pf. My 9 mm shorty has a Brazos still a bit snappy.

Thanks all for your replies and recipes! Assuming you all have FS guns and similar setup, how do you compare these 3 powders (N350, True Blue, Silhouette) with recoil and dot movement/tracking? Also, have any of you tried HS6? Do you have any recipes and feedback on HS6 as well?

Thanks all for your replies and recipes! Assuming you all have FS guns and similar setup, how do you compare these 3 powders (N350, True Blue, Silhouette) with recoil and dot movement/tracking? Also, have any of you tried HS6? Do you have any recipes and feedback on HS6 as well?

I tried N350 didn't care for it, I use it in 38 Super some times. HS6 is ok, and AA#7 is very good but a compressed load and must be loaded 1.180 or better, slings powder pushes primers out etc but shoots real nice.. Silhouette seems to be the best in soft flat and clean and easy to load.

Thanks Amish! I appreciate the info and recipe. I've had great results with the VV family of powders in the past and want to try it especially now in my own Open gun. I will be shooting a Bedell FS 9Major Open gun now to go along with my Bedell Limited gun. Awesome blasters! Were there any other loads or recipes that you have tried so far that you liked for Open?

Hi Rob,

my 5" 9x19 makes Major at around 7.4 grains of N350 under a 124CMJ at 1.165" OAL.

Be careful, work your way up in increments, chrono and check for signs of pressure.

Good luck!

Roman

Just read your post again, we seem to have similar guns.

Mine is a Bedell 5", Ti comp, w/out hybrid snot holes.

Thanks Ron! I appreciate all the info! I know I had tried the N350 before in a friends FS 38Super and liked it alot; flat, soft and very clean. I was also looking at Silhouette as I had heard the same good things you're saying. I'm admittedly most interested in True Blue and HS6 since I have both on hand and easy to get here local. How do you compare those to what you've loaded before? Again, thanks for the advice and info, I appreciate it.

I tried N350 didn't care for it, I use it in 38 Super some times. HS6 is ok, and AA#7 is very good but a compressed load and must be loaded 1.180 or better, slings powder pushes primers out etc but shoots real nice.. Silhouette seems to be the best in soft flat and clean and easy to load.

I use 7.8 grains of True Blue, 124gr MG CMJ, and OAL 1.165. I have always used TB and find for the price and shootability is hard to beat.

MY CHRONO 171.5 power factor

AREA 6 Chrono 164.1 power factor(bummer for me)

I know of another guy that has a 9mm shorty, I think Bedell?, he is at 8.1grains TB and easily made major at the last AREA 6. Same bullet I use, not sure of his OAL.

Of course work your way up with the powder and test often.

I plan on working up a few more PF for my next major match after my AREA 6 fiasco. I'll never take ammo without a buffer of 10 PF to another major.

I can't give you legit comparisons as I've only shot the other powders using other peoples loads and guns. But, I can say that any differences I felt, if any, did not warrant me spending twice the money on a powder.

Thanks Amish! I appreciate the info and recipe. I've had great results with the VV family of powders in the past and want to try it especially now in my own Open gun. I will be shooting a Bedell FS 9Major Open gun now to go along with my Bedell Limited gun. Awesome blasters! Were there any other loads or recipes that you have tried so far that you liked for Open?

Rob,

I am currently shooting 7.8 grains of Longshot under 124CMJ @ 1.170.

Not as clean as n350 but cheaper.

I made 171PF at Area 4 a couple weeks ago.

The lot I used prior to that only took 7.3 grains to make Major - go figure.

My next experiment will be HS-6. A friend ran it with success in his 9x21 and his 9x19 and he seemed ok with it.

Hoping to get more gas. For the comp.

Roman

Thanks Ron! I appreciate all the info! I know I had tried the N350 before in a friends FS 38Super and liked it alot; flat, soft and very clean. I was also looking at Silhouette as I had heard the same good things you're saying. I'm admittedly most interested in True Blue and HS6 since I have both on hand and easy to get here local. How do you compare those to what you've loaded before? Again, thanks for the advice and info, I appreciate it.

One thing folks kind of over look is that Grains = Gas while not a perfect relationship its a good indicator. So when 7.2gr of N350 is a load and 7.7gr of Silhouette makes about the same PF you are getting a little more gas, same goes for 10gr of AA#7. Funny how you can get different powders easily one place versus the other. HS6 is as scarce as chicken lips here. HS6 does however shoot a lot like Silhouette just kind of dirty and loud. I was expiermenting with 115gr with HS 6 when I ran out at 8.8gr it was making 164.9 pf, the gun was very flat the recoil was reasonable, when I get some more I'm going to make another run at it. It may work very well with 121gr. If you look on the Brazos site there is an article there about old school comps and how to tame them and the jist of it is find a powder that makes a load with more than 10gr, and that is to get the gas level up. (written for 38 Super).

Finding the right load has a lot to do with your Comp. A Bedel Comp likes lots of gas and a Brazos will work with less gas, Dawson Awesome will work with about anything. Poppel holes also play into the equation. If you find a good flat shooting load that is beating you up try bumping your recoil spring up a # or 2, to tune the gun to the load. I run a 11# in my shorty and a 10# in my FS guns. Your slide weigh also plays into this, the ligher the slide the more recoil spring it takes to slow it down and gas. See this months front sight Bob says 8 to 12# for open guns shooting major PF. Another thing that helps with flip is to radius the firing pin stop block.

TruBlue shoots a lot like N350, the difference is that TruBlue tends to spike on pressure so I advise caution as you move the load up, watch your primers. Its not a clean as N350.

Edited by CocoBolo