Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Trying to shoot better

dagger10k

Well, it looks like I just won 3 guns at the local GSSF match. I was first in amateur civilian, and second overall in competition and unlimited (shooting my limited gun).

Instant bump to gssf master for me.

I'm pretty stoked!

Dood that's totally rad!!

seriously man! congrats!

• 4 weeks later...

Well, I finished the Golden Bullet, with lackluster results. I was 6th overall, second A in limited. I shot 89% or something of the match winner, Dale Martin. I was plagued by trigger control issues, and decided that I would go back to the way I had it a while ago. I'm going back to the stock striker spring, stock recoil spring, and standard 4.5lb connector. I've decided that the feel of the trigger is more important to me than the quickness of the slide cycle. I just could not get used to the super light reset with the light striker spring, at least not in time for this match, and I've decided that there is no reason that I have to get used to it. If I load my ammo hot enough (hotter than the 165.3 I made at the Golden Bullet :surprise:) the gun should cycle fine.

I'm also getting a Glock 34, to shoot some production, since I seem to shoot my buddy's 34 so well (44.47 in amateur competition at the GSSF match, which I believe is a new record!). I am also looking into getting a SVI for a change of pace in limited. Exciting times!

• 2 weeks later...

I enjoyed reading your training and related to alot of these things you are going through or gone through. Your energy and motiviation will help you evolve and solve these issues. I have learned so far that this is all just a process with time, work and revelation being some of the main ingredients. You have those and more, so I know you will keep getting better. Just like I am trying to do.

Thanks phil! I have always appreciated your advice and insight. I may have to get one of those airsoft setups from you sometime. Looks like they could be pretty helpful. :cheers:

I enjoyed reading your training and related to alot of these things you are going through or gone through. Your energy and motiviation will help you evolve and solve these issues. I have learned so far that this is all just a process with time, work and revelation being some of the main ingredients. You have those and more, so I know you will keep getting better. Just like I am trying to do.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been enjoying shooting the 34. Since I don't like light springs very much, I worked up some nice semi-hot loads. 124 grains Zero FMJs at around 1150 with universal clays. I like the feel of these, though I'm just about out of universal. I might have to go to titegroup next. Maybe some montana gold CMJs. Hmm.

I shot a match this last weekend that I thought went pretty well. It looks like I'm gonna be a B in production, though, which is ok I guess.

Even on an injured ankle I was able to pull off some pretty good performances. I was very concerned with shooting points this match, and as long as my goal was just to shoot As (as opposed to GO FAST), I did fine. I tried to push my speed on a stage, and it did not work out too well, as I shot sloppy points, and forgot to do a reload. I'll have to remember that lesson.

Here are the stages of the match, in the order I shot them.

Shooting a local steel match this weekend with the 34 in limited division! Should be exciting.

Edited by dagger10k

Had another solid production match today. I Was planning on shooting a steel match instead, but it was canceled.

I ended up beating the next production guy, an A, by 22%, and overall beat everyone but the open guys (6th overall out of 53 shooters). I had a few screwups, but overall I was very pleased with my performance today. The 34 sure is an accurate gun if you align the sights, and press the trigger smoothly. Little tiny steel plates beware!

It does look like my initial production classification will be B though.

Here are the stages in the order I shot them.

Edited by dagger10k

• 2 weeks later...

Had a nice day of practice today. :) Shot a plate rack in 10 seconds from the holster at 50 yards. 3 misses.

Found out I need to hold 3-4 inches LOW to hit anything at that distance though.

Had a nice day of practice today. :) Shot a plate rack in 10 seconds from the holster at 50 yards. 3 misses.

Found out I need to hold 3-4 inches LOW to hit anything at that distance though.

Enjoyed the viedo's. I did notice that you can cut some time off your runs. Work on getting ready to shoot as you enter the position. As an example in the last video in the last position, you planted and then raised your gun, there was plenty of time after the reload you should have got head and gun up about 2 steps out and been ready to shoot as soon as you acquired the target, 1 or 2 seconds lost. I saw a couple other times in the other two viedos where you could have saved time the same way. I took a Phil Strader class and he beat us to death with that but its work good for me.

Right you are. I've noticed that myself too. Haven't been able to practice movement as much recently since I hurt my ankle, and it appears I fall into bad habits when I don't practice. Something to work on.

Enjoyed the viedo's. I did notice that you can cut some time off your runs. Work on getting ready to shoot as you enter the position. As an example in the last video in the last position, you planted and then raised your gun, there was plenty of time after the reload you should have got head and gun up about 2 steps out and been ready to shoot as soon as you acquired the target, 1 or 2 seconds lost. I saw a couple other times in the other two viedos where you could have saved time the same way. I took a Phil Strader class and he beat us to death with that but its work good for me.

Production shooting continues to do well. Shot a local match on sunday. I shot 80% of the match winner, Limited GM Keith Garcia.

Shot my first multigun match the next day. I have to say, I really like shooting rifle. Shotgun... not so much fun. I am terrible at reloading because I have never practiced it, and the rifle is just plain more fun. Shot my old Glock 20 limited gun too, and didn't exactly burn the house down in the pistol parts.

I ended up 11th overall out of 59, but only shot 54% of winner Chris Sechiatano. Ouch.

After a few days of dryfire: the skin is coming off my fingers, the web of my hand is getting tenderized by the beavertail of my new gun to the point I can barely hold it, my palm is sliced open by hitting the hammer on a botched surrender draw, and my safeties have lost a lot of weight.

I feel like I'm finally beginning to get the hang of this thing! It will be interesting to see how I do in my first match. If I do better than I did with my Glock limited gun that'd be really cool, but doesn't seem likely somehow.

After a few days of dryfire: the skin is coming off my fingers, the web of my hand is getting tenderized by the beavertail of my new gun to the point I can barely hold it, my palm is sliced open by hitting the hammer on a botched surrender draw, and my safeties have lost a lot of weight.

I feel like I'm finally beginning to get the hang of this thing! It will be interesting to see how I do in my first match. If I do better than I did with my Glock limited gun that'd be really cool, but doesn't seem likely somehow.

There's always a transition period..

Don't expect to much on your first match..

The reward will come later..

You'll more than likely shoot slower due to the change in index (your front sight will be buried behind your rear sight)

Once you've reworked your index, learned the new trigger, and adapted to the timing of the new gun, you might find that the extra weight of the 2011 vs the glock makes the gun shoot a litle flater..

What's you load?

It's some old rounds I have about 800 of from back in the day. 180 zero fmjs (i think) loaded to 1.135" with titegroup at about 930 fps. Once I go through those I'll make a new load just for this gun.

Edited by dagger10k

You should give n320 a go..

Get a pound and try it out.

It freaken purrs like a kitten behind 180's

Coal 1.180 (1911 like it long)

I have 8lb of clays universal I'm gonna try soon, that's supposed to be pretty soft to.