Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

So I've got some questions I haven't figured out yet from this forum. Luckily for me the shooting part is easy. Its all the rest I'm having trouble with. So I'll try them out and see if I get any answers. Thanx in advance if anyone replies...

-Can anyone summarize the difference between IPSC and USPSA and how do I tell the difference? i.e. if my gun is authorized for USPSA Production but not IPSC Production do the web pages for the clubs usually state this difference, or do I have to just drive down there and say "YO is this USPSA or IPSC?

- Why do people post S_I? Is that a general description of STI and SVI type guns? Or is there a deeper reason?

- At a club match with a Limited Division what would a guess be of the number of rounds in the magazines on average?

- If I review a clubs results page and only Open and Limited results exist should I assume that club just doesn't do the "other" Divisions

- Can someone describe what a 2011 is? Is this some specific upgrade that the rest of the shooting world does not differentiate? Or just a description for a modern 1911?

- Can I compete in IDPA and IPSC at the same time or is there some deep dark initiation ritual/tatooing or something that prevents it?...no nevermind that question, I'm ok on that one...

Again thanx if you decide to reply I know these are really simple questions but the complexity of most of the posts on this website sortof overlooks some of the simple stuff. And if an answer is available by a search and I just missed it you can just say....search that one. Thanx

So I've got some questions I haven't figured out yet from this forum. Luckily for me the shooting part is easy. Its all the rest I'm having trouble with. So I'll try them out and see if I get any answers. Thanx in advance if anyone replies...

- Why do people post S_I? Is that a general description of STI and SVI type guns? Or is there a deeper reason?

- Can someone describe what a 2011 is? Is this some specific upgrade that the rest of the shooting world does not differentiate? Or just a description for a modern 1911?

-

The S_I thing is because the guns are about the same, SVI offers some more "trick" options than STI. Some will also say that the machining is nicer on an SVI. Both guns are built off of the same "platform".

A 2011 is S_I's way of saying this a modular grip framed gun with a 1911 style top-end and fire control parts.

Others can probably explain it more elequntly than I can, but that's the gist of it.

Ray C.

IPSC is the international organization, USPSA is the US organization. If you're in the US, then you're shooting USPSA. If you're anyplace in the world, you're shooting IPSC. Browse the IPSC/USPSA forums for some more insight.

Limited gun magazines CAN hold up to 20 rounds, but usually they've got 18 or 19 in 'em.

On the match results, tis best to ask the club. They just may not have any members that compete in any of the others. You could also be looking at old results before we added the other divisions.

Yes, compete in IDPA, USPSA, NRA, PPC and any other "gun thang" you can find :D

S_I is the lazy way of saying STI or SVI. They are "practically" interchangable. The 2011 is their "marketing" schmooze that these guns are "one step better" than a 1911.

Isn't 2011, coincidentally, when the patent on these frame/grip designs runs out??? Or is that urban shooting legend?

You know, you might be right.. it's within a year or two of 2011, assuming they keep paying maintenance fees.

Just for the fun of it I was poking around in the patent database and of all things, Les Baer has patents on an extended dust cover 1911. Wierd.. I'd have thought those were around before 1999, but maybe the USPTO didn't.

LB sticks his name on every idea, I think. Did he actually manage a patent on the extended dust cover 1911? Or, is it pending?

I remember looking when I first heard he applied for that patent. (Caspain was getting request to make them, but didn't want to step on toes.)

I think it's is silly...LB certainly didn't come up with a something new and unique. :(

All very good questions Davis, I'll give it a shot.

1) Can anyone summarize the difference between IPSC and USPSA and how do I tell the difference? i.e. if my gun is authorized for USPSA Production but not IPSC Production do the web pages for the clubs usually state this difference, or do I have to just drive down there and say "YO is this USPSA or IPSC?

-"IPSC" is the general term for what we do. It was around before "USPSA" and it rolls off the tongue better.

2) Why do people post S_I? Is that a general description of STI and SVI type guns? Or is there a deeper reason?

Someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but the "S" in the name designates Strayer as in Sandy Strayer, the owner of SVI (Strayer-Voigt-Inc) and co-developer of the 2011 frame design. The "T" in STI stands for Tripp, as in Virgil Tripp, the owner of Tripp Research. You know, plating and developer of those "new" 1911 mags.

100001281.jpg

Dave Dawson, Benny Hill and a couple other well known smiths originally worked for Sandy before venturing out on their own. I think there was some sort of falling-out between the designers which caused the two seperate companies (SVI / STI) Anybody?

3) At a club match with a Limited Division what would a guess be of the number of rounds in the magazines on average?

That might depend on where you're at. If you're in Pennsyltucky, AK you might find that the majority of shooters are still shooting .45 highcaps. The current .40 cal. set-up is 18-20 rds depending on what basepads and # of spring coils you have on/in your 140mm mags. Less spring, less power, more room. You make the call. ;) (Go about 10.5 coils with Wolffe springs and Grams basepads.)

4) If I review a clubs results page and only Open and Limited results exist should I assume that club just doesn't do the "other" Divisions

...boy, you are in Pennsyltucky aren't you!~

5) Can someone describe what a 2011 is? Is this some specific upgrade that the rest of the shooting world does not differentiate? Or just a description for a modern 1911?

A model # improvement to the 1911. I can't wait to see the 2111......

6) Can I compete in IDPA and IPSC at the same time or is there some deep dark initiation ritual/tatooing or something that prevents it?...no nevermind that question, I'm ok on that one...

You mean at the same match?

One thing to remember, IDPA teaches you accuracy. That's important in IPSC. Shoot IDPA.....but don't become an IDPA'er. Everything in moderation....you know.

Darn that TDean for trying to get back on thread topic..

LB sticks his name on every idea, I think.  Did he actually manage a patent on the extended dust cover 1911?  Or, is it pending?

LB has two patents granted on the long-heavy dustcover. I didn't stare at the claims for any length of time (we should make Jeeper do that since I only play patent-boy once a week. :P ), so I have no idea what they really cover, but they are granted. One was filed in 1999 and the other in 2001.

Here's one and the other for masochists like me that actually read the things.

The USPSA rulebook shows all of the IPSC rules, and then, if the rule in the US is different, it also shows the US rule. There's also separate sections for "IPSC Divisions" and "US Divisions" explaining allowable guns.

go to www.uspsa.org and scroll down to "Rulebooks" to download the rulebook.

I compete in one local club that still seems to be a throwback to the time of Limited and Open. I'm the only guy blasting away with a single stack .45. Big deal. As long as you're safe, the club should, and most likely will, welcome you.

DD

AFD, by all means shoot both USPSA and IDPA if you can.

I really like what T Dean said about IDPA teaching accuracy. And it also requires less specialized equipment than USPSA.

Both sports are good. To me USPSA is like a steak and IDPA is like salad. (Balance) One, I hunger for. The other is good for me.