Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

The USPS - No more money orders for me

shooterready

I purchased a rifle from one of our forum members a long while back. Sent payment via USPS MO. MO went missing and found out that it takes 60 days to cancel if not cashed. And NO you cannot cancel it early. You have to wait and wait and wait ........

To add insult to injury, after filing the claim (cost me another $5.50) they told me it would be 7-10 days before a replacement would be sent. Well that 7-10 days turned into almost 4 weeks. So, after the USPS had our money for 90 days the check finally came in the mail today. Unfreakin believable! :surprise: Needless to say this will be my LAST MO! :angry2:

Fortunately the gentlemen that I purchased the gun from was kind enough to ship it before receiving payment. To him :cheers: The check is "In The Mail". May God help us all.

Edited by shooterready

I am not a big fan of MO's either. They happen to be just as easy to fake as many other forms of payment and really are no more secure than a cashier's check.

The one transaction that went sideways out of hundreds that I have done on this board without a problem was over the relative security of a cashiers check vs. a MO.

I don't know if it's hit the US yet, but there is another method of payment available in Canada with the larger banks. It's called an Electronic Money Transfer. I just open up my browser and go to my banks website. Then I create an account for the recipient, which is just his name and e-mail address, as well as a security question and answer. I can then send him funds.

I never have his banking information, nor does he have mine. The recipeint gets an e-mail with a link to the transfer site, and he clicks on the link to his own bank, answers the security question, selects the account, and deposits the money. I get an automatic e-mail advising me that he's gotten the funds.

It costs $1.50 which is less than the cost of Bank MO, envelope, and stamp. It's also virtually instant. Gun deals are completed in an hour.

I only wish it was already widely available in the US, as it would have saved a lot of frazzled nerves sending my new reloading addiction enabler a phat MO for my PW Autodrive.

Edited by Canuck223

Happened to me --I sent payment,seller sent product I bought from him,he never got money order,I then sent him another check,mine was only for $50.00 bucks,,,same deal wait wait :angry: but I finally got the money

To add insult to injury, after filing the claim (cost me another $5.50)...

Darn; I never knew they charged extra to file a claim?!?

So they charge you because they lost the MO....nice! angry.gif

I don't know if it's hit the US yet, but there is another method of payment available in Canada with the larger banks. It's called an Electronic Money Transfer. I just open up my browser and go to my banks website. Then I create an account for the recipient, which is just his name and e-mail address, as well as a security question and answer. I can then send him funds.

I never have his banking information, nor does he have mine. The recipeint gets an e-mail with a link to the transfer site, and he clicks on the link to his own bank, answers the security question, selects the account, and deposits the money. I get an automatic e-mail advising me that he's gotten the funds.

It costs $1.50 which is less than the cost of Bank MO, envelope, and stamp. It's also virtually instant. Gun deals are completed in an hour.

I only wish it was already widely available in the US, as it would have saved a lot of frazzled nerves sending my new reloading addiction enabler a phat MO for my PW Autodrive.

US banks have been doing this for years. Look in the Online banking section.. make a payment to someone.. I know Chase and BofA both do it.